Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led to Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Granny Pods

Message 11 of 15

ps8891 wrote:

So where do people park, when I look at my street it already looks like a used car lot. Guess everyplace will look like downtown with people fignting over parking spaces or better yet, metered parking. I see multi families already living in homes and what happens to the area.

In older neighborhoods parking can be an issue but I think we need to be more concerned about the positive aspects for the people that this is helping.  Do you have any suggestions?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 15

I actually like the idea. Mom had a similar set-up close to my brother. Had her privacy but still had him close enough to help her if she needed it. My daughter's been after me for a long time to move in with her but I'm not ready and I would want something like this. As for the car issue - if I move into my daughter's house my car will be parked out front. If I have a granny pod in the back yard - my car would be parked out front. What's the difference?

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 15

So where do people park, when I look at my street it already looks like a used car lot. Guess everyplace will look like downtown with people fignting over parking spaces or better yet, metered parking. I see multi families already living in homes and what happens to the area.

Highlighted

Message 14 of 15

I love the idea. The design is cute except for the stairs to the 2nd level!

What do you think?

Granny Pods

Message 15 of 15

THIS IS WHAT IT'S REALLY LIKE TO LIVE IN YOUR DAUGHTER'S BACKYARD

A Seattle family's multi-generational compound is redefining retirement.

When Meredith Stannard, 66, retired from her job earlier this year, her soon-to-be-former coworkers couldn't wait to see the tiny house she and her partner Elyse Zandonella, 69, had decided to downsize into. "Everybody was curious," she says. "I started doing these happy hours where I'd have one or two people over at a time. There's a lot of buzz with people wondering if they could do this too."

Last November, the couple moved from a 1,300-square-foot home in west Seattle to a 613-square-foot cottage in the backyard of a house owned by their daughter Drew, 33, and son-in-law Jacob, 37, in the city's Ballard neighborhood. Their mini-house now stands where a dilapidated detached garage, formerly envisioned as a possible writing studio for Drew, once stood.

http://www.countryliving.com/