Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Four Jewish People and a Christmas Tree

Message 1 of 8

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - It bothers me when people of any religion aren't satisfied with what really amount to the outward trappings of their holidays, but want to adopt those of other religions. People are too focused on "traditions" that have little to do with the religious observance itself, and then which religion has the most presents, best food & songs.

Well I am not really sure how many people celebrate Christmas as the religious holiday or Christmas as it has developed over the years.  What do you think?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

@nyadrn - It bothers me when people of any religion aren't satisfied with what really amount to the outward trappings of their holidays, but want to adopt those of other religions. People are too focused on "traditions" that have little to do with the religious observance itself, and then which religion has the most presents, best food & songs.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

LaDolceVita wrote:

@nyadrn  Story reminds me of various holidays when I was very little.  My grandmother's best friend was a Jewish lady named Irene, a single mother.   They met in the park pushing babies in strollers, that is Eva and me. >>>

The friendship between my grandmother lasted 50 years, until Irene passed away at age 83.  Nice memories.  I have tons of pictures of  Eva and I growing up,  from age 2 to about 20.  

@LaDolceVita  

Hi. So Nice to hear from you.  Thank you for sharing your lovely story.  It just goes to show how much we are really alike.   

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

ASTRAEA wrote:

I'm Jewish & I have a different take on that! I've always been thrilled for my Christian neighbors to have their tree>>

As you know, now that my immediate family is gone, I celebrate the holidays with cousins who are Christian, and enjoy their traditions .. but I've never felt I was missing something in celebrating Jewish holidays.

Hi Astraea and thank you for sharing your take on the story!  I was raised in a Christian home but respectful and sharing of other religious traditions. One of my fondest is the lighting of the candles. It is a beautiful ceremony.  I think traditions are important no matter what religion you follow and that we all appreciate and honor our differences!   

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

@nyadrn  Story reminds me of various holidays when I was very little.  My grandmother's best friend was a Jewish lady named Irene, a single mother.   They met in the park pushing babies in strollers, that is Eva and me. Irene was married but when she became pregnant her husband moved out.  I guess he couldnt stand the thought of living with a baby?

Anyway, we spent at least part of the holidays with Irene, Eva  who was my age and Irene's sister and her husband.  Eva and I were way too young to know about religious differences but she of course loved Christmas, the baked goodies & presents.  They always had a tree.  I loved the different foods they served during Jewish holidays, especially matzah bread. 

The friendship between my grandmother lasted 50 years, until Irene passed away at age 83.  Nice memories.  I have tons of pictures of  Eva and I growing up,  from age 2 to about 20.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

I'm Jewish & I have a different take on that! I've always been thrilled for my Christian neighbors to have their trees, Santa Clause, and all the other things that go with Christmas. I grew up celebrating Chanukah; every night lighting one more candle, and grandma or Mom making hot, crispy latkes. I was perfectly happy with our holidays, and never wanted to adopt & twist any Christian tradition, into a Jewish version .. like a "Chanukah bush".

As you know, now that my immediate family is gone, I celebrate the holidays with cousins who are Christian, and enjoy their traditions .. but I've never felt I was missing something in celebrating Jewish holidays.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

A great story about family tradition and humor in today's world !

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Four Jewish People and a Christmas Tree

Message 8 of 8

Life’s curveballs have a way of taking you in unexpected directions

Jill Smolowe 

I grew up in a Jewish household where Christmas dawned each year with only one thought in mind: “Woo-hoo, the ski slopes will be empty today!”

As my mother made clear, the trees, the ornaments, the music — that wasn’t for us. That was for the family one street over, who (charitably) let my three siblings and me come over each year to help decorate their tree.

If our line of menorahs seemed less festive, well, we knew where Mom stood on the idea of a “Hanukkah bush.”

Then came love. Then came marriage. Then came the Christmas trees Mom had disparaged. For all four of us. Thankfully, our respective spouses (a Presbyterian, two Episcopalians and a Mennonite) each had a tradition of celebrating the Christmas holiday at their own parents’ homes.

This made it easier on my sibs and me. We could go along for the ride, enjoy the mounds of food and presents, yet not feel like we were actually participating in this Christmas thing. We were just passive observers.

Well Most of the Time......

http://www.nextavenue.org/four-jews-christmas-tree/

Kudos
Views
Replies