Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Food Delivery Robot Concerns

Message 41 of 51

Short story some IT people may be familiar with. Thomas Watson, of IBM, was being advised to get into the development and manufacture of computers in the 1940's. He saw no need for this. He figured only a handful would be built and used meaning, they were not of commercial value. IBM had to play catch up and as many know, they became the worldwide leader in mainframe computers.

Then, his son, Watson jr, was advised to get into the development and manufacture of pc's. He had no interest in doing so. They would never amount to anything other than expensive toys. IBM got into PC's late in the game, for a short period. They were expensive and inferior and didn't last long. Everyone else ate IBM's lunch as far as PC's.

We all know the rest of the story.................

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 51

"....Do you think it will really become reality?...".

I don't think it, I know it.... All of my reading for entertainment is sci-fi. Anyone familiar with the genre, especially the early publishing in the 'pulp' magazines, knows that much of what was postulated back in the 1930's, and beyond, has happened now.  Computers, space flight, non-currency ('credits'), robots, unmanned vehicles, hand held devices giving you information, bodily implants, atomic weapons, lasers, cloning, wireless communication, radar and other types of detection, medical scanning, GPS, and much, much, more.  I was reading about this stuff, via sci-fi books, by early 60's.

Just think back 10 years --- driverless cars? Driverless trucks are now being tested. Further back....Flying? Man on the moon? Horseless carriage? Underwater boats? Robotics? AI?   Did you think in your childhood that you could have a little 5" device, stand out in the middle of nowhere, and call anywhere in the world? 

I'm absolutely convinced we're heading for the I Robot kind of world. Everyone will have a robot that will be a personal assistant, maid, chef, mechanic, etc.   And, it will be here in a couple of generations. C-3PO is coming.

But yes, the path will not be easy................

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 51

@nyadrn wrote:

Do you think it will really become reality?

NOT IN MY LIFETIME! or my name isn't Judy Jetson! Cat LOL

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 51

@catwoman500 wrote:

Maybe it's the mood I'm in right now, but all I can do is laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. I'm imagining all these stupid robots zipping all over the place like some science fiction movie. Tripping and falling down...potholes, sidewalk cracks, curbs...maybe they will have the life alert button for "I've fallen and I can't get up."

I know we'd have a problem here in our little borough since we don't all have sidewalks! Cat LOL

Then above our heads are the drones zooming around trying to deliver the other stuff. YIKES!

On the serious side, I sure would be concerned about safety for pedestrians!

Do you think it will really become reality?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 51

Maybe it's the mood I'm in right now, but all I can do is laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. I'm imagining all these stupid robots zipping all over the place like some science fiction movie. Tripping and falling down...potholes, sidewalk cracks, curbs...maybe they will have the life alert button for "I've fallen and I can't get up."

I know we'd have a problem here in our little borough since we don't all have sidewalks! Cat LOL

Then above our heads are the drones zooming around trying to deliver the other stuff. YIKES!

On the serious side, I sure would be concerned about safety for pedestrians!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 51

@ASTRAEA wrote:

(I'm probably the only one who'd think about this)

What if someone tries to rob/kidnap any type of delivery robot, or take their package? Do/will they have cameras to record or live-feed what's going on around them? Do they have an alarm that goes off, or right to the police, if they're attacked?

Holy Cow .. what's next, having the robot accompany children who walk to school? Might not be a bad idea!

All interesting points..  the thing is, this will become part of our lives.  I cannot imagine what they would be like in NYC  : )

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 51

(I'm probably the only one who'd think about this)

What if someone tries to rob/kidnap any type of delivery robot, or take their package? Do/will they have cameras to record or live-feed what's going on around them? Do they have an alarm that goes off, or right to the police, if they're attacked?

Holy Cow .. what's next, having the robot accompany children who walk to school? Might not be a bad idea!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 51

@ASTRAEA wrote:

One of the statements in that article really bothered me:

>>>

I totally agree with supervisor Yee, that sidewalks are made for people, and that NO ONE - senior, child or disabled - should have to "move out of the way" of robots, bicycles, skateboarders, etc. ON the sidewalks!

On the other hand, someone's retirement nest egg might be assured, if they were hit/attached by a a delivery or other sort of robotic entity, and they sued both the owner & manufacturer! Smiley Happy

I agree that they need to be safe but I could see using the service!!  Wonder how they deal with stairs and elevators etc?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 51

One of the statements in that article really bothered me:

He also says the small unmanned bots move too quickly and therefore could be safety risks for children, people with disabilities, and seniors because they wouldn’t be able to move out of the robot’s way fast enough.

“Our streets and our sidewalks are made for people, not robots,” Yee told Recode. “This is consistent with how we operate in the city, where we don’t allow bikes or skateboards on sidewalks.” When asked if he thought the bots could safely run in a bike lane, Yee agreed it was something to think about. “Maybe in the future there will be robot lanes,” he told SFGate.

I totally agree with supervisor Yee, that sidewalks are made for people, and that NO ONE - senior, child or disabled - should have to "move out of the way" of robots, bicycles, skateboarders, etc. ON the sidewalks!

On the other hand, someone's retirement nest egg might be assured, if they were hit/attached by a a delivery or other sort of robotic entity, and they sued both the owner & manufacturer! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 51

Interesting new issues!

The loss of jobs is one we have discussed in various groups and topics recently.  What can we humans do about this and will we do anything?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors