From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Food Delivery Robot Concerns

Message 31 of 51

"...Look how many young people get "catfished", believing they're in long-term romantic "relationships" with people they've never met face-to-face, and aren't even sure their photos or background match what the person's posted/said!...".
This kind of story plays on daytime, court TV all the time. Someone always gets taken advantage of. After the case is done, the plaintiff will always state: "No more online dating for me". Of course, the truth is, one doesn't 'date online'. One is supposed to use the online app to potentially meet a real person.  I fail to understand the immense trend to not talk to people, but simply text and believe there is a 'relationship' there.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 51

@retiredtraveler - I recently caught an episode of the original "Star Trek" series, where they land on a planet where everyone lives in a Shangrila-like compound. They all look very Nordic "beautiful people", who live in a resort "playing" all the time. They don't realize that they're actually being kept by some canabalistic race, that grab anyone outside the compound after hours .. yet no one seems to notice or care if one of them just vanishes. Talk about "self-centered instant gratification"!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 51

"...I wonder if human evolution will wind up like that in the end .. we'll be worse than monkeys, because they're at least curious & want to figure things out!...".

If you're familiar, Star Trek, especially the newer NextGen, stated that because money wasn't used any longer, and poverty, disease, and most wants were taken care of,  people were free to pursue educational or artistic pursuits and go as far as their intellectual curiosity led them. 

Nice utopian idea. Can't really see how we could get there. There recently was a series, Childhood's End, that showed people not doing much of anything once all the problems were taken care of and Earth became a utopia. Seemed more realistic to me. (if you're not familiar, that's an early Arthur C Clarke novel that I first read in the 60's --- one of my fave authors).

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 51

@nyadrn wrote:

That is a good example and strangely it doesn't seem that hard to imagine.  That someday people will sit around hooked up to virtual reality machines in place of actually going and doing.  Man that sounds so sad.

Look how many young people get "catfished", believing they're in long-term romantic "relationships" with people they've never met face-to-face, and aren't even sure their photos or background match what the person's posted/said!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 51

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - I always think of that cute animated sci-fi movie Wall-E, where one little robot falls in love with another. When the girl robot winds up on a space "cruise ship", all the people are like Weebles, unable to move on their own .. because they no longer had to, and lost the ability. I wonder if human evolution will wind up like that in the end .. we'll be worse than monkeys, because they're at least curious & want to figure things out!

That is a good example and strangely it doesn't seem that hard to imagine.  That someday people will sit around hooked up to virtual reality machines in place of actually going and doing.  Man that sounds so sad.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 51

@nyadrn - I always think of that cute animated sci-fi movie Wall-E, where one little robot falls in love with another. When the girl robot winds up on a space "cruise ship", all the people are like Weebles, unable to move on their own .. because they no longer had to, and lost the ability. I wonder if human evolution will wind up like that in the end .. we'll be worse than monkeys, because they're at least curious & want to figure things out!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 51

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I already see how much less people use their own God-given brains, as soon as they have a piece of equipment that thinks/does things for them. So the more we have robots, the less brain-power people will use .. and eventually have.

Personal observation: It's been the law for years in NJ, that a vehicle must have its headlights on, when the wipers are on; common sense too. But the more vehicles that have that "auto" function for the headlights, the larger the % that do NOT have their headlights on, when their wipers are on .. because they expect the car to handle it. But they never stop to think that it may not be dark enough to trigger the headlights being turned on, and they might have to do it themselves!

Well Astraea you are just expecting too much Woman Tongue  but I know what you mean.  Kind of like how no one knows how to make change if the register doesn't do it for you.  

I remember a long ago Star Trek episode where the race of aliens couldn't do anything physical because they had evolved into brains because they have stopped doing any work.  It is scary.  It is like  how stiff you get if you just sit around while you are ill.  My old workout take had a guy who said if you rest you are gonna rust  and that means the brain as well!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 51

@retiredtraveler - I always ask/demand that the car dealer reprogram the system, so the car NEVER locks the doors automatically; I can manage that myself too, and where I live rarely lock the door when I'm in the car! When I bought this car in 2005, they tried to convince me it was safer .. but I knew & spoke to my police chief about it, and he said that carjackings happen when you're getting into the car .. NOT when you're sitting down & put the car in gear, which is when the doors are set to lock!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 51

"....But they never stop to think that it may not be dark enough to trigger the headlights being turned on, and they might have to do it themselves!...".

I always figured that it is too much effort to flip the switch, same as the apparent difficulty so many people have trying to push the lever down for a turn signal.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 51

I already see how much less people use their own God-given brains, as soon as they have a piece of equipment that thinks/does things for them. So the more we have robots, the less brain-power people will use .. and eventually have.

Personal observation: It's been the law for years in NJ, that a vehicle must have its headlights on, when the wipers are on; common sense too. But the more vehicles that have that "auto" function for the headlights, the larger the % that do NOT have their headlights on, when their wipers are on .. because they expect the car to handle it. But they never stop to think that it may not be dark enough to trigger the headlights being turned on, and they might have to do it themselves!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season