AARP's caregiver resource center can help you navigate your role as a family caregiver. Try it today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Food Delivery Robot Concerns

Message 11 of 51
EZPass is an electronic toll card that was developed by NY State some 20 years ago and is now accepted by most/all states in the country. Electronic toll collection regarding "Lanes" could be transmitted through the toll transponder into the autonomous vehicle computer. Also, there are various traffic control monitors already in place such as the ones we watch on TV that are broadcast by the local news media, generally along with the local weather.

The technology that is needed to control autonomous vehicles is currently available through various systems, but it will need to be expanded to where every vehicle on the roads will be able to communicate with each other, and the vehicles will have to make the decisions that we humans now make.

Eventually we will be able to electronically control the speeds of every vehicle on the roads by the [1] speed zone they are in, [2] the road conditions, such as weather, [3] and the late night bar closing where most of the DUI accidents are the result of speeding. [4] Eventually, and finally, we won't need a steering wheel, shift lever/button, or a gas & brake peddle since we will simply speak to the artificial intelligence computer and say, "James" take me to Joe's bar.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 51

@retiredtraveler - My guess is that the phase in of driverless cars (or cars that can fully communicate with each other) will take a good 10 years. So there will still be a lot of vehicles on the road which will not communicate or coordinate with anyone else .. and some of them may be driven by aggressive, antisocial people! Smiley Wink

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 51

"...But back to programming self-driving cars, how can THEY know which way to go, if personnel are still using a Neanderthal system that doesn't generate signals about which lanes are feeding in which directions?! What happens when there are about 12 toll booths feeding into 3 lanes of traffic?...".

That is one of the major areas that software engineers are looking at, as it happens. The first phase, already in testing, is to have cars talk to one another. So, cars discover various road conditions, and will broadcast that info. 

Butr getting around construction areas, and efficient lane usage, is still being worked on. I have no doubt it will happen. But I think Intel, and some other companies working on major components, are too aggressive in their predictions as far as time frame.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 51

@retiredtraveler - It will be very interesting to see what criteria/limitations will be programmed into driverless cars, as more of them are on the roads!

This past weekend I drove into Manhattan, to see a show. I'm amazed that even simple technology isn't used, when it would make life easier/safer for drivers. For example, I go thru the Lincoln Tunnel, between NJ & NYC; it has 3 "tubes", each with 2 lanes. The Port Authority personnel have the ability to redirect inbound/outbound traffic, by putting up cones between the toll booths & entrance to those 3 lanes. There are 4 (I think) lanes feeding into the toll booths, coming from down from I-495. There is only 1 sign, showing that E-ZPass cars should use the left lane; there are NO electronic signs identifying which lanes are currently inbound, or which ones will allow you to go uptown or downtown, exiting the tunnel. So if you're in the E-ZPass lane, it's absolutely impossible to go uptown, if they block those lanes exiting the tunnel .. which you can't see.

But back to programming self-driving cars, how can THEY know which way to go, if personnel are still using a Neanderthal system that doesn't generate signals about which lanes are feeding in which directions?! What happens when there are about 12 toll booths feeding into 3 lanes of traffic? If self-driving cars are "too civilized," it may take longer! What happens when buses with aggressive drivers don't yield to cars that are programmed to yield to avoid accidents?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 51

"...Are technological advances allowing/encouraging people to become inattentive, sloppy drivers .. or are drivers becoming inattentive & sloppy & technology is trying to keep up to eliminate the problem?!..".

Just last evening, I caught a long discussion about the future of driverless cars with the Intel guy who manages that part of the business. He thinks (for what it's worth), that this will become an option on virtually all autos in 10 years. What was discussed was time savings. That is, the long commutes that many western countries have would turn from someone stuck in a car, driving, to someone sitting in a car doing work, reading content, communicating, or just playing games. The 'free-up' of time was the major focus of discussion. Further, Intel is looking at fleets of driverless, electric cars that would in effect, replace companies like Uber. There would be fleets of these cars running around cities, would be called similarly as an Uber car is called, and would monitor their power levels and automatically return to a charging station, when needed, before going back in service.

Again, I have references to this kind of thing from sci-fi books I've read written in the 50's and 60's. 

Intel Buys Mobileye in $15.3 Billion Bid to Lead Self-Driving Car ...

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 51

@ASTRAEA, HA! That is funny! Cat LOL

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 51

@nyadrn wrote:

I don't know..  driverless cars will be safer than many of the drivers in the cars now. : )

This is getting to be the age-old conundrum, "What came first, the chicken or the egg?"

Are technological advances allowing/encouraging people to become inattentive, sloppy drivers .. or are drivers becoming inattentive & sloppy & technology is trying to keep up to eliminate the problem?!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 51

@rgar102181 wrote:

We will soon be greeted at a restaurant, grocery, and retail store by a humanoid. SciFi is becoming reality.

Judging by the behavior of some sales personnel I've dealt with, I'm not sure we haven't already reached the "humanoid" stage .. and maybe robots would be better! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 51

@rgar102181 wrote:

We will soon be greeted at a restaurant, grocery, and retail store by a humanoid. SciFi is becoming reality.

Now that would really be cool! Cat LOL

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 51

I don’t see these food delivery robots being a commercial success any time soon but I do believe this is the future of delivery for some products. If you just look at Amazon and Google’s drone delivery service, it hasn’t gotten off the ground as a sure thing yet but give it a couple of years.

Kudos
Views