If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Fondest Childhood Memories?

Message 61 of 71

@catwoman500  Your memory of Hurricane Hazel was so cute!  I hardly ever hear anyone speak of that one any more...the hurricane, I mean!  LOL!

I remember Hazel very well, even though I was about the same age as you.  So many trees down!  I had never seen anything like that before.  I don't know why, but I remember for some reason being able to scramble up to the top of a shed that was attached to our house and I was standing on the roof feeling like I was on top of the world!  I must have crawled up on a downed tree.  My dad came out and saw me on the roof and fearing I might fall off, he yelled at me to "get down off of there!"  I figured I was in big trouble so, not wasting any time, I tried to get down quickly.  Getting down was not so easy as getting up and I tried to slide down the side.  There was a nail sticking out of the siding and it caught the inside of my knee.  Yee-ouch!  I still have a faint scar there.  Anyway, I got a talking-to and a "see what happens when you don't mind Mommy & Daddy?"  I was such a tomboy and it was the first of many scrapes, cuts, bruises and even a dog bite that I remember.  They were always asking me, "Why can't you be more lady-like? and I'd just shrug and say, "I dunno."  They probably felt it was a lost cause but, when I started noticing boys, that all changed.  I suppose they wished I was back climbing trees!  Woman Wink  

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 71

@ASTRAEA..YES! We didn't need "things" to keep us busy!

Another memory is etched into my brain. I thought I had entered another world with this one:

My grandmother’s next door neighbor worked as a caretaker for what, I didn’t know back then as a child in the 1950’s, must have been an estate. As a little kid, I had no clue what that even meant and naturally had to go with my parents and grandparents when (Mr. Breslin) wanted to show them the place. I remember that it seemed to take forever to get there, and now I’m thinking, did he drive that distance every day?

So…we eventually drove down this long gravel driveway and into this enchanted open area. A huge mansion appeared with all these glorious old trees, gardens, a greenhouse, streams, and walkways around it. I remember walking down a path and a little frog or toad (the first I had ever seen in “person”) was sitting in the middle of the path. My dad and I stopped to check it out.

We toured the inside and I remember saying, “Are you sure only one family lives here?” The house seemed to go on and on and we only saw the ground floor! Oh, the staircases and bannisters were so grand.

The best part for me was when Mr. Breslin opened this one door and all that registered for me was the floor, the huge, vast expanse of parquet floor, the grand piano, and the wide wall of windows that looked out into woods. It was the ballroom! A room just for dancing? I couldn’t imagine having a ballroom in a house! I thought maybe Cinderella lived there. Cat Happy

I will never forget that experience. When I think about it now, I’m wondering if it was really closer to us than I thought. Time always passed slowly when we were little. Since we lived in Havertown, PA, not far from Philadelphia’s “Main Line,” I’m thinking it could have been one of those grand old estates in Gladwyne, Villanova or the Ardmore area. I’ll never know. N.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 71

@catwoman500 - That was so hilarious; I think kids had more imagination & could entertain themselves without any special equipment, back then!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 71

I love all of your memories!There are so many fond childhood memories for me. We had such great imaginations! I’ll start with a fun one and maybe come back for some holiday ones.

Hurricane Hazel was arriving so it must have been in the 1950’s and I must have been about 5 or 6. My next door neighbor, Bobby, and I were playing in my basement. All of a sudden the lights went out and Bobby screamed bloody murder. We raced upstairs to the kitchen to my mother and she calmed us down. I’m not sure why she let us do the next thing, but it was so funny…I thought we should go outside with umbrellas and try to fly like Mary Poppins. Oh, I could just picture us flying over the neighborhood. The rain hadn’t started yet, but it was so windy. Mom kept saying, “No”, but finally she relented and into the back yard we went with her standing at the door. I was so exhilarated! Imagine...we were going to fly! Then…all that happened was that the umbrellas blew inside out and that was the end of that. Cat LOL N.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 71

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Many years later, when my grandmother & everyone in Mom's generation had died, I found that tape, althought the recorder had stopped working & been replaced. I found someone who could heat-treat the old tape & convert it to CD for me, and I gave copies to my cousins. The best part was listening to the family discussion during dinner! I think I gave them out on the 40th anniversary of that Passover Seder!

Awwwww!  Isn't it wonderful to be living in this golden age of technology?  Perhaps I should say titanium, silicon, diamond or germanium age...Woman Wink

I have a CD recording of an event very precious to me and our children.  I can't tell you how much it means to me.  I'm sure your cousins were touched by your generous gesture.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 71

@Prosecco6247 - What a nice story about "family"! You reminded me of a Passover story with my family. As long as my grandmother was alive, everyone came to our house for the seders. By the late 1960s that would be ~ 20 of us. One of my uncles would lead the service. One year I'd gotten one of those big reel-to-reel tape recorders, and I set the microphone on the table, and recorded the entire evening .. the service and the dinner break when everyone just talked & told jokes.

Many years later, when my grandmother & everyone in Mom's generation had died, I found that tape, althought the recorder had stopped working & been replaced. I found someone who could heat-treat the old tape & convert it to CD for me, and I gave copies to my cousins. The best part was listening to the family discussion during dinner! I think I gave them out on the 40th anniversary of that Passover Seder!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 71

When I look through family albums, I am struck by the number of pictures there are of my generation of cousins dressed in Easter finery!  Some have us posing with Easter baskets.  We lived in the state where my father's family was raised and most of my childhood memories of holidays center around his extended family.  All of us would gather for dinner at my grandparents' home following church.  My great-grandmother was still alive at the time, so we had four generations represented.  

Before dinner, the grown-ups would arrange a grand Easter egg hunt and we'd all scurry off to fill our baskets with colored eggs.  It could get messy as little ones would find and drop eggs, sometimes accidentally stepping on one or two, tipping over baskets and occasionally breaking out into a wail when an older cousin spotted "their" egg...meaning one they wanted to pick up but hadn't yet gotten to it!  Pandemonium!  

This was before the advent of plastic container-style eggs and foil-wrapped chocolate ones.  The kids had a lot of fun running around and the parents had their "Kodak moment!"  The younger children would be fed early and put down for a nap (they needed it!) and the rest of the crew would sit down for the traditional ham, potato salad and spring vegetables.  When dinner was over, we'd play board games, watch TV, and just chat.  Later, we'd snack on ham sandwiches and leftover desserts before heading home.

Easter, Easter Eggs, Holiday

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 71

Another fond memory I have, is of warm weather trips to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden & adjacent Prospect Park Zoo. We'd always make a trip at Passover, if the weather was good, bringing a picnic lunch with us (couldn't eat out Passover). I'd always try to leave something over, that I'd try to feed the animals .. like a piece of roast chicken for the lions! The Brooklyn Museum .. which has a large Egyptology collection .. was also right nearby, but after the zoo & all that fresh air, we'd be too exhausted for that as well.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 71

One year Dad bought a family pass to the Field Museum of Natural History. We wore that pass out! I was enamored by the Egyptian Room and the Early America Room and divided my time between the two.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 71

I loved singing and dancing from a very early age and we lived across the street from a neighborhood movie theater.  Since my mother also enjoyed musicals we went to see all the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers, Nelson Eddy/Jeanette McDonald, Shirley Temple, etc. movies that they showed sometimes in the afternoon.  Needless to say, I was very familiar with that theater.

When I was 5 I was in my first dance class.  When it came time for the recital we were told it would be held at the Fox in downtown Atlanta.  For those of you unfamiliar with it you can check it out on-line, but suffice to say I was expecting it to be like the Madison across the street.  So there I was on the stage with all the other little girls and boys.  I was wearing my little pink pinafore and my black tap shoes and I happened to look up.  The interior of the Fox looks like it's a castle under the night sky complete with twinkling stars and whispy clouds.  All I remember is my teacher and my mother calling to me.  "Dance, Patricia!  You are supposed to dance."

To this day I'm completely mesmerized by that sky.

Kudos
Views