There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: First car was purchase in 1969

Message 31 of 175
Acura and other Hondas are roomy and low on repair costs. They get miles galore. My 1991 Intega had over 200,000 miles. Still love my 1st car that black Covair with red interior. Had to share it with my big brother . It was suppose to be our moms car. She didn't like to drive, which was great for us!!! We were always driving it. Gas was 25 cents per gallon. I babysat 5 children for 50cents/hr. We always had gas $. We'd "scoop the loop" all the time. It was so much fun. To be seen and to see others-great times!!!
IGGY
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: First car was purchase in 1969

Message 32 of 175

It was a 1956 chev.  I paid $200. It ran great and was in excellect condition.  Believe it or not it was owned by a little old lady who rarely drove it. I only wish these new cars had that much room and low repairs. 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 33 of 175
Cars are wonderful! My favorite part of a car is the engine, horsepower is everything. Doesn't matter how many gadgets they pack in. If it has giddy-up that's all that matters.
IGGY
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 175
In 1957 for their 45 anniversary my father bought my mother a Ford Thunderbird. From the moment I saw it I was in love she on the other hand did not care for the T Bird, it was too low and to small. I bought it from her when I became 16 in 1961, she kept it garaged and drove a Ford station wagon. WOW I wish I had that T Bird today.
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 175

I don't think I

@mickstuder wrote:

I thought I had responded to this thread previoulsy but I can't find the post so I'll do it again........................

1962 Volvo P544 Gray - borrowed the $400 from my Grandparents and of course never paid it back

Image result for 1962 volvo P544

Beat the crap out of this car and it took everything I dished out - finally drove it from the East Coast to the West Coast - got thrown in Juvenile Hall in Orange County and sold it to a prison guard for enough money to buy a plane ticket back to Boston..................

remember this post...think something I would remember

So I hope things got better when you got back to Boston

Thanks for adding the picture as I sure wouldn't know what this

car looked like.  Not too bad.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 175

I thought I had responded to this thread previoulsy but I can't find the post so I'll do it again........................

1962 Volvo P544 Gray - borrowed the $400 from my Grandparents and of course never paid it back

Image result for 1962 volvo P544

Beat the crap out of this car and it took everything I dished out - finally drove it from the East Coast to the West Coast - got thrown in Juvenile Hall in Orange County and sold it to a prison guard for enough money to buy a plane ticket back to Boston..................

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 175

@PattyDiane wrote:

@theresemprincipe wrote:
Corvair, 2 door, black-glorified go-cart. Gas was 25cents a gallon! As teenagers my brother and I loved that little rattle box!

I loved my little Corvair too.  I think it was a 1963 model.  I would have driven it forever if it had not developed some sort of leak that the mechanic couldn't locate.  Whenever it was a strong rain, water seeped onto the floor board.  One morning the temperature had dropped overnight and I almost broke my ankle when I discovered the wet floorboard had frozen.  They no longer made the Corvairs and I bought a Vega, the most awful car I ever had.  I threated to leave it in the middle of the street on numerous occasions.

Had a Corvair after married....Was really good in the snow. Yes always heard Vegas were bad.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 175

@theresemprincipe wrote:
Corvair, 2 door, black-glorified go-cart. Gas was 25cents a gallon! As teenagers my brother and I loved that little rattle box!

I loved my little Corvair too.  I think it was a 1963 model.  I would have driven it forever if it had not developed some sort of leak that the mechanic couldn't locate.  Whenever it was a strong rain, water seeped onto the floor board.  One morning the temperature had dropped overnight and I almost broke my ankle when I discovered the wet floorboard had frozen.  They no longer made the Corvairs and I bought a Vega, the most awful car I ever had.  I threated to leave it in the middle of the street on numerous occasions.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 175
IGGY
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 175

Awesome, I read in a beginning post that retiredtraveler had a Gremlin too. Man I was so proud of that car. Kind of a kangaroo orange and hatchback. Of course you had the feathered roach clip on the mirror. Then I glued disco Snoopy figures on the dash. I remember getting pulled over and some of the cops would whine about obstruction of vision. So down would come the feathers and Snoopys and Garfield and whatever else was there. Then the next day you'd put it all back. Major drawbacks of Gremlins...the transmission and brake pads always needing replacement and absolutely no traction on ice. One day I spun out into a snowbank and owing that I was still young and cute a bunch of joggers got me pushed out. You had to carry kitty litter bags in the back to add weight  even with snow tires. I loved that car!.

Kudos
Views