From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 161 of 176

I too, recently going through papers and found contracts

@PattyDiane wrote:

Not too long ago I was going through some old papers and happened to find the contract where I bought my first new car.  It was a Vega and a terrible car, but that was not the shocking part.  

This was 1975 and I was newly divorced.  I had a house with a mortgage in my name and I had been making the payments for about three years.  All the utilities were in my name and I had some department store credit cards, also in my name.  I was working at a job I'd had for almost 10 years.  Here's the shocking part.  My father had to cosign the loan for me!

Sometimes I forget how things used to be for women and how we accepted that kind of thing as normal. 

for first and second car.  Funny how we hang on to this stuff for a long time...My step dad had to co-sign for me also,   I guess because no credit history on my part...Had a pretty good job. 

It was good that your dad could help you get your first car. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 162 of 176

Not too long ago I was going through some old papers and happened to find the contract where I bought my first new car.  It was a Vega and a terrible car, but that was not the shocking part.  

This was 1975 and I was newly divorced.  I had a house with a mortgage in my name and I had been making the payments for about three years.  All the utilities were in my name and I had some department store credit cards, also in my name.  I was working at a job I'd had for almost 10 years.  Here's the shocking part.  My father had to cosign the loan for me!

Sometimes I forget how things used to be for women and how we accepted that kind of thing as normal. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 163 of 176
@Liltman wrote:

..1960 I bought a '58 Fiat 500.  Awful car.  Astrea had the same experience.  Stalled at will.  Had to downshift gong up a hill.  In 63' bought my first new car a VW Bug.  $1,800 brand new. 

Hard to believe that my 1974 Fiat cost $4,000! I really wanted a BMW, but they were $5,600, and way out of my budget .. since I paid for it myself & was just out of college. Hard to believe even those prices now .. and how "primative" things were then! My car didn't have power steering, and boy was it awful getting out of tight NYC parking spots. I remember one time other cars blocked me in so tight near my house, that by the time I got out, I was totally exhausted .. who needed a gym for an upper body workout?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 164 of 176

My first car was a 48' Plymouth coupe in 1958.  Raised rear, spinner hubcaps, skirts, side spotlight, suicide knob. Got stopped by the cops even when I was parked.   Didn't last long.  1960 I bought a '58 Fiat 500.  Awful car.  Astrea had the same experience.  Stalled at will.  Had to downshift gong up a hill.  In 63' bought my first new car a VW Bug.  $1,800 brand new. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 165 of 176

@retiredtraveler wrote:

A Gremlin. New at the time (I think it was a '70). Car was so cheap there was no glovebox door --- just the opening.  Can't really recall how much I paid. I do remember tinkering with it --- glasspack, pushing up the timing to get more ooomph (while knocking like crazy).  In those days, I actually did the tuneups. Some of you remember using a timing light.   

Well, my very 1st car was a 1965 Mercury Comet - teal.  Loved. Loved, Loved it.

Never owned a Gremlin but we did buy a new Pacer and I bought it because the front windshield was so big and I am very short.  It was the pits of a car.  Sometimes it started, other times it did not.  And the doors were so heavy, my daughter as a young child could not even open or close them.  However, it served its purpose for the few years that we kept it.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 166 of 176

".,..I remember the Gremlin when it first came out....would see on street and wonder "What in the world is that"  (not making fun of your first car)  Think...".

You can make fun of it. Yes, it was strange. I got it primarily because it was a hatchback (pretty new concept at that time),  small, and relatively inexpensive to insure. I was in a band during college and carrying around a drum set --- that car allowed me to do that easily. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 167 of 176

oooh  the 69 Camaro...I went with the 70 .  my soon to be husband wanted me to get the z28 also, but after checking the price, I knew i couldn't afford that and didnt really need that.  I think he was really wanting it for himself to drive.  He was still in the Sea Bees at the time...

Yes the 69 worth alot....Actually wish I could buy one now.  But not practical now with the grandbabies car seats, with hardly a back seat to speak of...It was tiny

@nctarheel wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

My dad bought me a 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 in 1967 for $420. It was a tank. I could walk on the hood, roof, and trunk and it wouldn't bend a bit. I pulled out in front of an oncoming car and got it in a pretty serious wreck. The other car was a new Plymouth; it was totaled. My car had a severe dent onto which I painted the word "Ouch" and drove it until 1969.

Now my second car was sweet.

I had a cousin that worked for Playtex and he said the company was going to grow in leaps and bounds. I bought my first stock. My $500 (birthday money from several years) grew to $2500. I bought a 1969 Camero. I was $200 away from buying a Z28 Camero but my parents didn't like that it was orange-red and had an 8 cylinder powerful engine. So I was stuck with my six cylinder. But it looked good though.

I was on a trip with it to visit my girlfriend (now my wife of 40 years) and yes, wrecked this car too. The frame was bent, hood, fenders, and just about everything else damaged. I drove it at 25 miles per hour because that was as fast as it would go for 150 miles back home.

I traded that car in and a wholesaler bought it even before I had picked a new car. He must've been able to see the future. The 69 Camero is now a classic because they made that body style for only 1969. In good condition, the six cylinder version goes for tens of thousands while the Z28 can push six figures.

My luck!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 168 of 176

@nctarheel wrote:

My dad bought me a 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 in 1967 for $420. It was a tank. I could walk on the hood, roof, and trunk and it wouldn't bend a bit. I pulled out in front of an oncoming car and got it in a pretty serious wreck. The other car was a new Plymouth; it was totaled. My car had a severe dent onto which I painted the word "Ouch" and drove it until 1969.

Now my second car was sweet.

I had a cousin that worked for Playtex and he said the company was going to grow in leaps and bounds. I bought my first stock. My $500 (birthday money from several years) grew to $2500. I bought a 1969 Camero. I was $200 away from buying a Z28 Camero but my parents didn't like that it was orange-red and had an 8 cylinder powerful engine. So I was stuck with my six cylinder. But it looked good though.

I was on a trip with it to visit my girlfriend (now my wife of 40 years) and yes, wrecked this car too. The frame was bent, hood, fenders, and just about everything else damaged. I drove it at 25 miles per hour because that was as fast as it would go for 150 miles back home.

I traded that car in and a wholesaler bought it even before I had picked a new car. He must've been able to see the future. The 69 Camero is now a classic because they made that body style for only 1969. In good condition, the six cylinder version goes for tens of thousands while the Z28 can push six figures.

My luck!

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 169 of 176

I had a 1964 Dodge Polara,It too was a beast,Had the pushbutton Transmission,BABY BLUE drove around on MAYPOP Tires.You know thinking back about that thing now,I DON'T MISS IT HA HA-Roll Tide

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 170 of 176

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season