Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 121 of 176

My first car was a '74 Pinto wagon. I paid $300 for it I got it while I was in high school.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 122 of 176

A lot of the girls in my town got that Mustang...I couldn't afford a car,  so had a ball cruising with them.  So much fun

Sounds like you had a really nice one

Is true, about charting you life with what car you had at the time....in my younger years, and now even in middle and later years.   Can remember all stages, ups and downs , and what cars we had owned.   Good and bad memories,    but mostly enjoying remember the good times. 

@BlueSky90 wrote:

My first car was a 1964-1/2 Mustang!  (I wanted a GTO but my Dad said it wasn't a "girl" car.)  That Mustang had 300 miles on it and belonged to a V-P at Ford who had been transferred.  It was really special, with gorgeous leather seats with the wild mustang hand engraved into the leather.  The car was gold metal flake - quite rare in those days.  My Dad took one ride in it on a rainy day and instantly had heavy duty shocks put in the rear end, as the car would spin right out from under you otherwise.  I've owned a lot of cars since that 'Stang but not one of them had the appeal for me that my first car did.

I read a column not long ago written by the great Rick Bragg.  He said you can chart your life by what cars you had at what time.  He was so right!  There are no other life "markers" quite as distinct as our cars.  We remember what we were doing and what was going on in our lives if we just think back about our cars.  I was 19 when I got that Mustang and I thought I knew everything when, in reality, I knew nothing!  LOL!  Ahhh...I loved that car, though!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 123 of 176

Mine was a 69 Datsun.

@Rainsga wrote:

My first car was a 1959 pink and white dodge. It has push buttons for drive, neutral, reverse. Loved that car, but unfortunately it was totaled in an ice storm. One of the problems with living in NY. Now I reside in GA.

@Rainsga wrote:

My first car was a 1959 pink and white dodge. It has push buttons for drive, neutral, reverse. Loved that car, but unfortunately it was totaled in an ice storm. One of the problems with living in NY. Now I reside in GA.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 124 of 176

My first car was a 1959 pink and white dodge. It had push buttons for drive, neutral, reverse. Loved that car, but unfortunately it was totaled in an ice storm. One of the problems with living in NY. Now I reside in GA.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 125 of 176

My first car was a Datsun B210 Honey Bee. Digital Equipment Corporation in New Hampshire had hired me, so needed to drive to work, since NH has very spotty public transprotation.  Taught myself how to drive this standard shift auto plus driving on ice and snow.  Had my first auto accident in this car too. .  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 176
My first car was a 1936 ford two door sedan. It cast me $200.00 in 1950. Gasoline prices were about .20 a gallon. Boy am I giving away my age.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 127 of 176

My first car was a 1948 Studebaker. It was army green, had the split front windshield. Steering wheel was wooden. It drove beautifully. I spent many a nice day waashing and waxing it until the shine was oh so bright. My Dad spent $50.00 for it. He was a mechanic so he fixed any and everything that went wrong with it.  I wish I had that car today.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 128 of 176

My first car was a 1972 Plymouth Duster with the 225 CID slant six, light green metalic and 3 speed AT.  It cost me $2800 brand new.  It took me 5 summers at $1.50/hr to save up enough for it.  It was a great, reliable car until I lent it to a friend, who totaled it.  It wasn't a Hemi "Cuda, but I loved it.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 129 of 176

My first car was a Studebake (2 row cornpicker).  My mom gave it to me as a gift for graduation from Nursing school in 1955.  It was not new and I don't know what year it was.   It was gray in color and stood me in good stead for a few years. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 130 of 176

My first car was a 1967 Ford Fairlane 500 Station Wagon that blew oil out of the spout that one puts oil into.   My father gave me that car what a piece of junk. I hated that car and I had to drive it to work across town.   That was in 1971.

Lynette

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors