You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 91 of 175

'56 Chevy and I still have it.  IT SAT ON JACKSTANDS FOR OVER 30 YEARS.  Upon retirement I put it all together the way I want it.  350 performance engine but not too wild, overdrive trans. and 9" Moser rear end.  Swivel buckets, tilt wheel, power steering and 4 wheel disc brakes.  Nice 2 tone paint; blue and white pearl.  Won a few trophies but it was built to drive and I drive it as much as I can.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 175

My first car was a new 1969 Datsun 240Z which was purchased within the first five months after release. I really liked this car over the 1964 Chevy Impala with a 283 CID that my parents purchased so that I could drive to college. Within two years, I sold this car and purchased a 1970 Porsche 911S and never looked back.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 175

My first car was a 1965 Pontiac Gran Prix. It had a 383 in it . It was a beautiful car. No scratches or dents but the green paint was fading. I was young and did'nt take very good care of that car but still wish I had it.I bought that car for 100 dollars without even seeing the car. The bad thing about that car was it was my uncle's and no matter what I did I could not get rid of the cigar smell. Thats OK though I still wish I had that car today.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 175

1971 Toyota Celica 2-door hardtop,  Royal Blue with stock pin striping... White interior. A truly beautiful car! 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 175

Back in 1970 I purchased my first car. It was a 1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible and I paid a whopping 400 dollars for a car that  now days would list for in the thousands and it was in great shape. The one great thing that would happen is that the headlights would quit working when parked. Made for some great nighst at my favorite parking spot!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 175

My first car was a nine year-old 1947 Plymouth that I bought for $300. It only had 50,000 miles on it and the back seat looked like no one had ever sat in it. It ran well but it apparently had only been driven in town. When I started driving it normally it started burning oil like a sieve. I would have to add a quart every 100 miles.Other than that it was a nice car.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 175
My first car was 2 door, 1967 Ford Falcon; pale yellow with a white vinyl roof. On the hood was a large faded white spot. Heater didn't work very well. My Dad replaced the thermostat, but that didn't help. I drove about 22 miles to work. Two other gals car pooled with me. We all sat in the front seat, but were still cold upon reaching work. Such memories!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: First car was a Bug Car

Message 98 of 175

I was 18, had just gotten my driver's license, the guy I was dating was a "gung-ho" type, he told me that now that I had my license, I needed a car.   So we went looking around, found an old '69 Bug in an auto dump, but it RAN, so we bought it for  $200.00.  Problems:  it was a standard, so I had to learn how to drive it.  Oh, what I did to those gears !  AND the defroster never worked, I had to drive with the windows wide open, to keep the windows from fogging up.  I had a heck of a time, coming up through the town center...there was a traffic light on the hill.  I had to learn how to keep my right heel on the gas at the same time, keep my right toes on the brake, and my left foot on the clutch.  This way, I  could rev the engine to keep it alive so it wouldn't stall on the hill, and then make it difficult to restart when the light turned green.  My Dad hated that car, he wouldn't allow me to park it in the driveway.  He said that the car brought down the value of the house !  But when the snow fell and my car was still working, he allowed me to park it IN the driveway but at the very end.  This way it wouldn't be covered by snow or hit by a passing plow.  But it was a great little car !  I had it for two years and ran it into the ground... the poor thing was finally retired when it couldn't be fixed from blowing oil.  My Dad got me a bumper sticker " Thank you for not laughing at this car."  The mechanic loved it !!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 175

My first car was a push button start, green Studebaker. Can't remember the year. It was really old when I got it in 1967. Used to let me set quite often. Can remember one time especially that I was stopped at a red light, and went to go. Was by myself and as a teen, I didn't know what to do. Someone came along and helped me push it to the side.  Later I went to a big Chevy impala with wings. Wouldn't want to put gas in that today. Back then I was paying .39 a gallon. Oh, the good old days! I sure wish I was rich enough today to buy a 57 chevy. My husband's dream!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 175
My first car was a 1976 Chevrolet Vega Gt. it was dark green with white stripes on the sides.
Kudos
Views