AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Info Seeker

Re: First car

Message 11 of 172

My first car was a 1965 Simca.  Simca was a Chrysler product built in France.  At the time, it was nearly impassible to get parts for them (I don't think it got any better either).  They didn't improt the car for long due to safety standards.

Spent many hours during my freshman and sophomore college years keeping that thing running, Clutches, motor mounts, head gaskets, radiator fans, etc. were replaced.

Not a great car, but fun to drive. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 172

My first car was a Red Midget MG!

I was 23.

It was a fun car, but not very practical, so I moved to cars that could carry a lot of stuff, when I started moving around with different jobs.

Here in the mountains of Colorado, almost everyone has a pickup or a Subaru, the workhorse car!

I'm on my 3rd one!

Rusty Merrill

Woodland Park, Co.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 172

My first car was a 1072 Ford Pinto 2 door in bright orange with a black interior. My parents bought it new for $1300 and gave it to me when I was a junior in high school. Drove it all through college and after I got married. We lived in eastern Washington and it was really hot that first summer we were married. We would have to put towels over the car seats or it would burn your skin. That was before air conditioning was a common feature most cars. I did get rearended during college and it didn't explode.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 172

kk28221982 wrote:
My first car was and still is a 1967 GTO Convertible which I bought from a junkyard in 1972. My father screamed at me for buying it. Needed a lot of love I was 14 at the time. It took me 6 years to restore her to original along with many broken knuckles. I remember the day like it was yesterday that I finally got to take her I was 20. I threw the keys to my dad and told him let's see how she rides. It was a great summer day top down cruising to Ochard Beach & City Island. I had replaced almost everything my dad told me how proud he was one of the greatest memories I had. I have a photo of that day. My dad has long since left but I still have 2 memories one is the photo which is is enlarged hanging up in the very spot I built her. The second is my love the same 1967 GTO I still have her. Her name is Rosie after my mom.

What a beautiful story.  You have a real classic.  Thanks for sharing.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 172
My first car was and still is a 1967 GTO Convertible which I bought from a junkyard in 1972. My father screamed at me for buying it. Needed a lot of love I was 14 at the time. It took me 6 years to restore her to original along with many broken knuckles. I remember the day like it was yesterday that I finally got to take her I was 20. I threw the keys to my dad and told him let's see how she rides. It was a great summer day top down cruising to Ochard Beach & City Island. I had replaced almost everything my dad told me how proud he was one of the greatest memories I had. I have a photo of that day. My dad has long since left but I still have 2 memories one is the photo which is is enlarged hanging up in the very spot I built her. The second is my love the same 1967 GTO I still have her. Her name is Rosie after my mom.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 172

My first new car that I brought with our own money was a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Hatchback in a medium blue. We had a 1964 Plymouth Fury which we bought used from my folks in 1967. I was drafted in July of 67 and my wife used the Fury while she finished college. We had the car in New Jersey while I finished my training. We traded that car in for a car to be ordered when I returned home in the Fall of 1969. Mary and I were living in Germany when I finished my time in the service. 

After we decided on a car my dad place the order for the New 1969 Barracuda which was waiting for us when we got back. It had a a 383 cu in (6.3 L) B V8 engine. Ours was a stock car in blue similar to the restored one below. It did not have any striping. Can not remember what the car cost us. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Info Seeker

55 Ford Rag Top

Message 17 of 172

When I say rag top the top was in need of repair, to say the least in didn't care, car had a class of it's own, luck had it as it was obtained in summer, my dad having six kids really could not afford a car for me. To my surrprise one day poof it was there, so happens 3 men that worked for my dad and if I remmeber right there names were Joe, Joe, and Pat went together and got the car for me. Took a load off my dad and mom as the oldest,  I got every one to school. Wasn't long, with help I had the new top on it. Get this, the color was white and a pink accent, in and out. I loved it and no one dare kidded me. To this day will always have the great memories that car gave and how it help my family and the older friends I had back then.

Conversationalist

Message 18 of 172

My first car that I brought with my own money was a 1965 Barracuda Hatchback. I paid $300 for it because it needed a paint job, the car looked like a spotted leopard with the white patches of primer on it. For an additional $300, I did an Earl Schrive paint job on it to a nice blue. The car had a great engine and lasted me many years until New York had one of those rare hurricanes which lifted a tree which demolished the car. which was over 30 years old at the time and still running like a dream.

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 172

A '73 Datsun B610 silver wagon.

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 172
A 1963 Mercedes 220S. Black with red leather interior. No radio. Bought for $350.00 tax return from 1971. Was missing back seat but bought a matching one from junk yard. Beautiful.