Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 151 of 175
1960 Ford Falcon - I was a freshman in high school & the was was very used (1965) - bought it for $300, cash. My Dad advised against it but let me go ahead - He also helped & advised me on many repairs.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 152 of 175

My first car was a 64 VW Karmen Ghia with a velour paint job. I only drove it for a few months when large rusty chunks started falling off. The dealer exchanged it for a 65 VW bug. Owned that car for years. Learned to work on a car, changing oil, tune ups, brakes and even rebuilt the engine with larger pistons and jugs.

We used to take it camping in the boonies. Amazing how much gear fits with the back seat removed.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 153 of 175

My first car was a 1982 Dodge Colt. I loved this car. It was also the car I learned to drive a "manual" stick shift. It was perfect until the engine blew up on me while driving to work one day. Fond memories thought of my Colt.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 154 of 175

A 1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88.  My father had blown the engine on it and we parked it at my grandmother's house in 1975.  In 1976 I needed a car, so I had it towed to a mechanics garage, bought a used engine for $125 from the local junk yard, and paid $100 to have it installed.  One of the best cars I ever had.  It had positrac and would go anywhere in winter, which was great in Pittsburgh winters. Eventually, somebody ran into me and I couldn't open the hood anymore.  I sold it to a young guy for $100 ($50 down and $50 due the next week.)  His father came to my house and tried to get me to refund his son's $50, but the title had already been changed, and I refused.  I never did get the other $50 and I didn't pursue it.  Oh well, so it goes! 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 155 of 175

My first car was a 1964-1/2 Mustang!  (I wanted a GTO but my Dad said it wasn't a "girl" car.)  That Mustang had 300 miles on it and belonged to a V-P at Ford who had been transferred.  It was really special, with gorgeous leather seats with the wild mustang hand engraved into the leather.  The car was gold metal flake - quite rare in those days.  My Dad took one ride in it on a rainy day and instantly had heavy duty shocks put in the rear end, as the car would spin right out from under you otherwise.  I've owned a lot of cars since that 'Stang but not one of them had the appeal for me that my first car did.

I read a column not long ago written by the great Rick Bragg.  He said you can chart your life by what cars you had at what time.  He was so right!  There are no other life "markers" quite as distinct as our cars.  We remember what we were doing and what was going on in our lives if we just think back about our cars.  I was 19 when I got that Mustang and I thought I knew everything when, in reality, I knew nothing!  LOL!  Ahhh...I loved that car, though!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 156 of 175

My first car was a used orange VW hatchback purchased in 1972 or 1973.  I don't remember the year of the car, but it was probably was late 60's early 70's.  I called it "Livingston" after Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a popular book in those days.  It was the worse car I ever owned.  Once, the gas pedal got stuck and by time I had pulled into a gas station the tires were smoking because I was pressing so hard on the brake pedal to keep the car from accelerating.  One night the car "died" as my friend and I were going to her house after a night out on the town.  Some young men we know gave us a ride.  Of course, the next morning, the car started right up and we got in trouble because the parents thought we were making up the story.  Once again, the car stopped working in a town 20 miles away from home.  To get the car home, an acqantance sat in the hatchback area with the hatch open to control a part of the car that ran the gas pedal while I drove the car.  "Old faithful" "died by the side of the road as I was getting ready to pick up some friends to go to a New Riders of the Purple Sage concert, 50 miles away.  Yes, we did make to the concert, but how we got there is a very long story.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 157 of 175

My first car, in 1974, was a 1968 Ford Mustang -- powder blue.  I loved that car.  Drove it over 100,000 miles in just a few short years.  If I could find that car again, I would buy it in a heartbeat.  I think my monthly car payments were around $50 a month.  Lots of great memories and quite a few pictures of it.  *sigh*Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 158 of 175

What a sweet story about your Mom and the black and white Chevy

But why wouldn't the Ford start....was it a manual shift and you had to

pop the clutch to get it started after someone pushed you?. 

Sounds you are from a small town, where everyone always

helps out.  I am too, with good neighbors. 

@Soosie wrote:
My first car was a green Ford. I am not sure of the year, but I bought it myself and it was hard to start. Since I didn't have anyone to give me advice about anything, I would get someone to push me off and once it was running, I was OK. I tried going back to thank them, but the car would cut off again and they would need to push again. I learned to say thanks before leaving the first time.

My second car was after I was married. I came home to tell my husband that I had a car on lay away. I had found the car and the Mayor had it for sale. He asked how I was going to pay. I told him I had a new job and would pay for the car with my first check. He said he would park the car until I came with my money. I did what I promised and was the second owner of a black and white Chevy. It was a good car. I had loaned it to my Mom and she totaled it by pulling out in front of a big Buick. She called to tell me and wanted me to fuss at her. I told her the main thing was that she was OK and I could replace the car. I never drive by that intersection without thinking of the Chevy and how lucky my Mother was not to be hurt from the wreck.

Soosie

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 159 of 175
My first car was a green Ford. I am not sure of the year, but I bought it myself and it was hard to start. Since I didn't have anyone to give me advice about anything, I would get someone to push me off and once it was running, I was OK. I tried going back to thank them, but the car would cut off again and they would need to push again. I learned to say thanks before leaving the first time.

My second car was after I was married. I came home to tell my husband that I had a car on lay away. I had found the car and the Mayor had it for sale. He asked how I was going to pay. I told him I had a new job and would pay for the car with my first check. He said he would park the car until I came with my money. I did what I promised and was the second owner of a black and white Chevy. It was a good car. I had loaned it to my Mom and she totaled it by pulling out in front of a big Buick. She called to tell me and wanted me to fuss at her. I told her the main thing was that she was OK and I could replace the car. I never drive by that intersection without thinking of the Chevy and how lucky my Mother was not to be hurt from the wreck.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 160 of 175

I too, recently going through papers and found contracts

@PattyDiane wrote:

Not too long ago I was going through some old papers and happened to find the contract where I bought my first new car.  It was a Vega and a terrible car, but that was not the shocking part.  

This was 1975 and I was newly divorced.  I had a house with a mortgage in my name and I had been making the payments for about three years.  All the utilities were in my name and I had some department store credit cards, also in my name.  I was working at a job I'd had for almost 10 years.  Here's the shocking part.  My father had to cosign the loan for me!

Sometimes I forget how things used to be for women and how we accepted that kind of thing as normal. 

for first and second car.  Funny how we hang on to this stuff for a long time...My step dad had to co-sign for me also,   I guess because no credit history on my part...Had a pretty good job. 

It was good that your dad could help you get your first car. 

Kudos
Views