Do you or your loved ones suspect a scam? Report it now to the AARP Fraud Watch Network.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 71 of 175

A 1957 Plymouth for $200.  I needed a car to get to junior college (that's what they called it back then).  I drove the car to take the entrance exam.  On my way home when I went over some railroad tracks a tire rod let go and the whole front end of the car fell out.  My dad came and got me but neither he nor I had the $ to fix it.  I passed the exam with flying colors but I had no way to get there.  So, I went to work instead.  That was when I was 17.  I went back to school and got an AA degree when I was 42.  Oh, and after working a couple of months, I bought a brand new 1965 Volkswagen Beetle.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 175

@ph8322 wrote:

Wow,  didn't think I would get such a great response to "What was your first car"!  Am really enjoying reading about all the cool cars everyone had.  Lots of good memories we all had in our first cars.  Those were the days.

@ph8322 wrote:

What was your first car?  Love to hear about the different cars everyone first owned

Mine was a '62 Chevy Impala, 2 door hardtop. Forgot if it was SS, don't think so.  Light , light yellow.  Paid $1,200.00 in '69.  Wish I still had it.   Just had a 283 ,  whatever that means.  I am a lady, so don't know that much about cars. Well, i know a little actually, as my husband taught me about cars...even helped him work on. 

A lot of good memories,  still have a picture...

ph8322:  Glad to see you realize what a great response you have gotten to your original post - you focused upon a topic that we posters seem to be enjoying, so thanks for starting this topic!  I have not posted anything about my first car, but have really been enjoying reading what everyone has had to say, thus far.   gatorgorilla/Pam

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 175

My grandparents had a 62 Fairlane.   I got to drive it a lot and I loved it.   Small V-8 (289), bucket seats.....

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 175

Wow,  didn't think I would get such a great response to "What was your first car"!  Am really enjoying reading about all the cool cars everyone had.  Lots of good memories we all had in our first cars.  Those were the days.

@ph8322 wrote:

What was your first car?  Love to hear about the different cars everyone first owned

Mine was a '62 Chevy Impala, 2 door hardtop. Forgot if it was SS, don't think so.  Light , light yellow.  Paid $1,200.00 in '69.  Wish I still had it.   Just had a 283 ,  whatever that means.  I am a lady, so don't know that much about cars. Well, i know a little actually, as my husband taught me about cars...even helped him work on. 

A lot of good memories,  still have a picture...

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 175

Good morning everyone. My first car wasn't a car. When I was 14, I had been working at my own business and had enough money to buy a motorcycle. I drove that thing everywhere. Then when I was 16, my grandfather was going to buy a new car and told me he would sell me his old one if I paid the taxes on his new one. I said sure because I had always wanted his old one. It was a 1958 Chevy Biscaine 4 door. This was in 1966. After I graduated from high school in '67, the car and I took off to see the USA. First was Colorado to go to a trade school, which didn't last long because after listening to the Beach Boys sing  about Calif. surfing and girls, I was going there. Only problem was, the car didn't make it with me.

On the 4th of July, 1967, on a two lane road in South Dakota, I fell asleep driving at over 80 mph. The car, a friend with mine and the car went into a ditch and flipped 3 times. Since the cars back then had no seatbelt, my friend and I flew all around in the car. The poor car, totally demolished. The HP said that we where lucky to have had a 1958 because it was the last year that the big frame was used that held the center of the car together.

Thus, ended my first car. Wished I still had it. There was lots of memories made in that car.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 175
1972 Plymouth Duster it eventually rusted apart
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 175

My first car was a 4-door 1956 Ford, it had a Thurderbird engine. It was converted over from an automatic transmission to a three speed on the floor.  Wish I had it back, I payed $200 for it.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 175

My first car, in 1970, was a '56 Chevy Belair. It had a slant six, with tree speed on the column. It was white and Tropical Turquoise (I had to google it to see what the color was called). I wish I still had it, as most of you wish you still had your fist car.

John P Capizola Sr
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 175

1965 Ford Mustang and it ended up being 3 different colors at one time. It was the "kids" car and we were not very nice to it. My sister hit the gate with it and there were holes in the back floorboard so you had to be careful riding in the backseat. Sure wish we still had that car!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 175

@creechdj wrote:

It was a 53 Mercury I paid $50.00 for. I took it down to TJ and had a $95.00 tuck and roll interior job done then had it painted baby blue at Earl Schibe for $49.95. It had lots of room for all my buds and we would cruise main street almost every night when we were supposed to be at the Library studying. Those were the days!  

I learned to drive in a '53 Mercury.  I was a senior in high school and the car belonged to my boy friend.  The year was 1959.  It was black when he got it but had it repainted candy apple red (I think that was the color).  It drove like a tank and had a straight shift.  Before I got my license I got stuck on a hill by a red light at the top and each time I would try to go the car would roll back a bit and then stall.  I must have missed about three green lights before I finally got through.  The drivers behind me had to back up so I wouldn't hit them.

Kudos
Views