AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 81 of 175
I am giving away my age but I had a 1949 Desoto that I paid $50 for and it would shut off on my way home from work as a bag boy. I was in high school and thought that having a car -- any car -- was pretty "groovy"! Yes, that was 1965.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 175

My first car was a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 XL Convertible, blue.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 175

Is TJ , Tiajuana(don't even know how to spell)?  I am from the midwest.

Yes those were the days.  In my small town the guys used to have drag racing out on a country road,  everyone heard it was going down and just had to go out and see who would win. 

It is really surprising that we even survived those days.  Not a care in the world. 

@creechdj wrote:

It was a 53 Mercury I paid $50.00 for. I took it down to TJ and had a $95.00 tuck and roll interior job done then had it painted baby blue at Earl Schibe for $49.95. It had lots of room for all my buds and we would cruise main street almost every night when we were supposed to be at the Library studying. Those were the days! 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 175
1953 Ford, dark red with a white top. Three on the column and a flathead V-8. Sweet freedom!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 175

We had something like that when i was really young.  Don't know exactly what it was.  I do remember we sat on orange crates. hmmmm....Just barely remember this.   Do remember the car he got after that.  It was a 50s ford also,   It was black and he used to let me sit on his lap and "steer".   Also on the farm tractor.  

@wesklein wrote:

1929 Model A Ford,  we had it until 1954,  very dependable,  not a good in car heater,  good ground clearance,  hardly ever got hung up even in the snow in southern Minnesota.  Moved up to  1935 Chevrolet  sedan and also a 1948 Dodge pickup.  Before leaving highschool I bought a 1942 Ford 4 door sedan.  Many other models to follow.  Wes

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 175

It was a 53 Mercury I paid $50.00 for. I took it down to TJ and had a $95.00 tuck and roll interior job done then had it painted baby blue at Earl Schibe for $49.95. It had lots of room for all my buds and we would cruise main street almost every night when we were supposed to be at the Library studying. Those were the days! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 175

1929 Model A Ford,  we had it until 1954,  very dependable,  not a good in car heater,  good ground clearance,  hardly ever got hung up even in the snow in southern Minnesota.  Moved up to  1935 Chevrolet  sedan and also a 1948 Dodge pickup.  Before leaving highschool I bought a 1942 Ford 4 door sedan.  Many other models to follow.  Wes

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 175

My first car was a 1963 Ford Fairlane. It was a great car for the time. Simple motor that even I could work on. Being the first it still holds a place in my heart. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 175

My first car was a 1950 ford two door sedan, (color black), AKA black bird (TORDO in spanish. I worked two whole weeks and paid for it with my paycheck for a total of $159.49, this was the onlly car that I paid in full. I remember the saleperson gave me back $0 01 (one cent) as change. I was earning $0.75 cent per hour with no overtime and working approximately 65 hours per week. talk about the employers getting away from paying overtime. The year was 1957 and I had to drive back home from the dealer for about 10 miles and had no driver licence. I got a driver's licence three days after I purchased the car. Not bad for a kid who came from Mexico and did not speak any English.

I am a Veteran of tlhis Great Country and I am so grateful that my motlher brought me here. I now am almost 75 years old with two university degrees THANK YOU: "GOOD OLD U. S. OF A".

Enrique J. Sanchez
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 175

That is so great that you still have and fixed it up!  Love the old cars

@dskyles wrote:

'56 Chevy and I still have it.  IT SAT ON JACKSTANDS FOR OVER 30 YEARS.  Upon retirement I put it all together the way I want it.  350 performance engine but not too wild, overdrive trans. and 9" Moser rear end.  Swivel buckets, tilt wheel, power steering and 4 wheel disc brakes.  Nice 2 tone paint; blue and white pearl.  Won a few trophies but it was built to drive and I drive it as much as I can.

Kudos
Views