From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 131 of 175

In 1965 my first car was a 1952 Plymouth for $5 from a man in my parents church.  Towed it home and rebuilt the flathead engine with junkyard parts.. Rebuilt brakes, electrical (well the important parts) and had the broken rear portion of the frame welded.  Drove it to college from Georgia to Kentucky. One year later traded ($500) for a white '60 Chevy 283 with baby moons.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 132 of 175
Falcon 2 door
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 175

My first car was a 1960 ford falcon . two door sdn two differant colors of white two differant size tires and a messed up front fender. had to fix the radio new tube and new speaker made it work a half a head liner learned to drive a stander trans. I will say it ran great nothing went wrong in two years that I drove it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 175

Mine was a '51 Plymouth I bought right after gettilng out of the army in March '63.  Don't remember how much it cost..  Took my mother on a trip south from Evanston IL all the way to Key West - wanted to as far south as I could.  Had it for the four years working in Denver, then for probably another 4 or 5 years in the Bay Area.  It did real well for me.  Later got a Mercury Comet, also used, that was a real lemon.  But that Plymouth took me all over the western U.S. - up Pike's Peak and Mt. Evans (west of Denver) to Death Valley. It was a real work horse. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 175

My first was a 1949 2dr. ford six cylinder custom with a three speed on the collum.  My mom and dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday.  My dad was assist. chief of police and bought it from another policeman, it was a great car and to this day I still have pictures of it showing a few tricks that I did to it such as lowering the rear and a few other things.  I wish that I still had the car.  

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 175

I remember Johnathan Livingston Seagull.

YOu had some experiences in that VW wow

Husband was almost killed in one in a ten car pileup.  Rain slicked roads.  He got the worst of it. 

The new ones today are cute,  but will never own one.

But was kind of fun whizzing around in it. 

@GemmaA wrote:

My first car was a used orange VW hatchback purchased in 1972 or 1973.  I don't remember the year of the car, but it was probably was late 60's early 70's.  I called it "Livingston" after Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a popular book in those days.  It was the worse car I ever owned.  Once, the gas pedal got stuck and by time I had pulled into a gas station the tires were smoking because I was pressing so hard on the brake pedal to keep the car from accelerating.  One night the car "died" as my friend and I were going to her house after a night out on the town.  Some young men we know gave us a ride.  Of course, the next morning, the car started right up and we got in trouble because the parents thought we were making up the story.  Once again, the car stopped working in a town 20 miles away from home.  To get the car home, an acqantance sat in the hatchback area with the hatch open to control a part of the car that ran the gas pedal while I drove the car.  "Old faithful" "died by the side of the road as I was getting ready to pick up some friends to go to a New Riders of the Purple Sage concert, 50 miles away.  Yes, we did make to the concert, but how we got there is a very long story.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: First car - 1969 Ford Custom 500

Message 137 of 175

My first car was a 1969 Ford Custom 500.  This was the stipped down version of the Galaxie 500.  Inline 6 cyclinder (240 cubic inches), manual steering, no power brakes.... the only thing that was automatic was the choke - but it was broken.  Had a neat "left hand radio" (on the left side of the dash).  Added an 8-track stereo and Jensen 6 x 9 speakers in the back.  I was a happy camper then!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 138 of 175

My first car was a '58 chev Biscayne. About '67 or so. Had it only a few months when Uncle Sam called and said they needed my help, so off to the USMC I went. When I came back, (sold the chev before I left) I got A '49 Dodge PU that we had worked on before and my dad had kept it around for me. I put chrome wheels on it, painted it a light avacado green. It was not fast, but it was a lot of fun. I to wish it was still around

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 139 of 175

When my brother and I were 19 & 17 years old, my dad came home from buying a car for himself and brought along a second car that the dealer threw in for free.  It was a 1960 Corvair.  WOW!

The lever for the automatic transmission was mounted low on the dash and looked more like a heater control lever. One night, a friend who was cold flipped it while I was driving.  Fortunately I was younger then and quicker and was able to flip it back with no damage.

There was no defroster as we know them today, but instead there was a small fan mounted on top of the dash which had NO PROTECTION CAGE.  Fortunately, the fan had with rubber blades and would only hurt a little when you stuck your finger into it.

But at least it was a car. And it was free.  So we did not complain.  At least back then.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 140 of 175

@LarryMargolis wrote:

My 1st car in 1955 was a '49 Renault 4CV. It had great turn signals, a little hand with finger pointing in the turn direction popped out from the post behind the front seats. Unfortunatly, it had problems so only had it about a year. 

I had a really good girl friend who had a Renault when we were in HS.  This was in '59 and I have no idea what model the car was but we had a great time in her little car.  We could drive around all day on $1's worth of gas.  It made for a lot of adventures during our senior year.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors