Are you a caregiver? Tell us how you plan your getaway with loved ones for a chance to enter a weekly prize drawing.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 171 of 173

My first car was a '55 Olds 88 that I bought in late '61 for $550.00.  I had just  moved back home and gotten a job after a year away at college.  I was riding the bus to and from work, even though I had to transfer busses in downtown Atlanta.  This was OK until the days got shorter and the place where I had to wait for the bus to come home was very near a bar and it was scary dealing with drunks after dark.

My uncle (father's brother) had a small used car lot and we went to check out what he had.  I fell in love with the green and white car as soon as I saw it.  My parents actually had a '55 Pontiac Star Chief as a second car at that time.  My father cosigned the loan papers with me for the bank and it had to be paid off in less than a year.  I wasn't making much money and it was rough but I did it.  

I went back to school after 18 months and my parents were looking at getting a new car and getting rid of their Pontiac.  Since it was the same year as my Olds, my father suggested trading cars since he feared my transmission was slipping a bit and the thought the Pontiac was in better shape.  At the same time the boy my younger sister was dating was looking for a used car and he bought the Olds.

The transmission on the Pontiac went out on I-20 on my way back from class about 6 months later.  My now-brother-in-law drove the Olds without transmission repair for another 2 years, until he sold it to two young boys who wanted to make a cross country trip.  He sold it to them for $300, warning them of the transmission.

The last we heard they had made it to Los Angeles, still with no transmission repair.  I wonder if it's still going somewhere.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: First car

Message 172 of 173

A Gremlin. New at the time (I think it was a '70). Car was so cheap there was no glovebox door --- just the opening.  Can't really recall how much I paid. I do remember tinkering with it --- glasspack, pushing up the timing to get more ooomph (while knocking like crazy).  In those days, I actually did the tuneups. Some of you remember using a timing light.   

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

First car

Message 173 of 173

What was your first car?  Love to hear about the different cars everyone first owned

Mine was a '62 Chevy Impala, 2 door hardtop. Forgot if it was SS, don't think so.  Light , light yellow.  Paid $1,200.00 in '69.  Wish I still had it.   Just had a 283 ,  whatever that means.  I am a lady, so don't know that much about cars. Well, i know a little actually, as my husband taught me about cars...even helped him work on. 

A lot of good memories,  still have a picture...

Kudos
Views
Replies