Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Finding Ideal Options for Cars as One Grows Older

Message 1 of 8

I have a vehicle which is paid off. Thank God!  I enjoy not having a car payment of any kind.  But this vehicle has close to 200,000 miles and so when it finally has it's last hiccup, I'm seriously thinking about going with an SUV or a cross-over.  It will be a change for me as I've always loved the sedan.  But having driven a friend's SUV and a cross-over rental, I can see where it may be more convenient and comfortable for me.  Also, although I've always purchased my vehicles in the past, if I were to buy today, I am thinking about taking a lease.  I don't drive near as much or as far as I use to.  So a lease might work for me.  But right now, I don't have to worry about that because until the wheels fall off, I'm stickin' with my trusty, rusty Chevy!  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8
Japanese and Korean cars have lowest issues. Kia/Hyundai/Toyota
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

Aw, wow, thanks everyone for their input :-)

I enjoyed reading these and learned a lot as well :-)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the post.

Making a decison about leasing vs buying is always a personal decision because the importance of the different factors is based on each individual.  

Saving money is not always the primary factor in a person's decision.  Each person needs to sit down and make a list of the important factors and why and then make a choice that is best for them.  

I live in a outer suburb of a big city with plenty of public transit.  When my last car needed to be replaced, I found that driving for work was unnecessary and that many people use public transit and uber in place of owning a car and only lease one for trips etc.  That is why you can only use someone else's choices as a comparison and only if you know all the factors and the importance of each.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

@nctarheel Right-o: that's the other thing we do: keep our cars until they are worthless. We drive them into the ground and call that good. Smiley Happy 

Actually a couple years ago we got high bluebook for a 19 year old Jeep Wrangler with 200,000 miles. But the Chevy Blazer in the garage is probably now worth about $900. We'll probably keep it a few more years. Ain't broke, don't trade it in... LOL.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

@BronwynM413834wrote:

Firstly, I had two main options to consider, was I to buy or to lease a car, and although I never before have considered leasing, it became clear to me that it would be the best choice.

Leasing a car is an incredible waste of money. Basically, you are paying for the depreciation of the car and depending on how much you drive, could be paying much more. Then, at the end of the term, you are left with nothing but the same decision again... to lease or not....... while the owner of the vehicle can now sell the vehicle. After all, YOU paid for its depreciation.

Another way to save money, in addition to @Epster's suggestion, is planning to keep a car you have purchased LONG TERM. The longer you keep a car.... the less the annual cost to you. Now, this only holds true if you buy a reliable vehicle and maintain it.

There are many reasons to lease a vehicle; most have to do with business.... but, for the individual, leasing is almost always a waste of your cold, hard cash.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Hi @BronwynM413834  Thanks for this information.

Another method of saving a bundle on one's personal automobile is to just pay cash. That's our preferred method, anyway. Smiley Happy

Read all about the whys and hows of paying cash for a car here: https://www.doughroller.net/personal-finance/6-reasons-to-pay-cash-for-a-car/

pay cash.jpg

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Finding Ideal Options for Cars as One Grows Older

Message 8 of 8

I was in my forties when I got divorced and moved into my own apartment. It was at this time that I realized a car would be essential to get along, and it’s important to consider what will offer the best choice for me now.15549431_m.jpg

Firstly, I had two main options to consider, was I to buy or to lease a car, and although I never before have considered leasing, it became clear to me that it would be the best choice. The reason for my choice was that it was possible to obtain a car that is new and included a variety of safety features. Plus, I only have a small income that is fixed monthly so, I have to budget. Leasing can allow me to drive the car of my choice over a period that is shorter with an affordable monthly payment.

Usually, the period for leasing a car is 3 years compared to buying a new car which would typically have payments for a 5-year period. Consequently, I can be driving the car I want and only need to plan for three years instead of five.

Reason why I decided to go with leasing

I feel that for most seniors leasing can be beneficial when looking for a new and reliable car. Look at only some of the benefits it may hold:

Payments monthly that would be lower

Leasing offers you options that are great to obtain the best car at the most affordable payment rates. Generally, it may require a small cost upfront but your new car would also still be under a factory warranty.

Essentially, you would only need to budget for insurance, the lease payment, and the costs of gas, which is ideal for an income that is fixed. These expenses can be accommodated with your income or savings as you won’t need to worry about any additional costs that might arise.

When I went to choose my car I was accompanied by my daughter to assist me because the business language was a bit intimidating. They used words like capital cost and residual value, which made me feel much older than my real age. I was just happy that after everything was explained to me, I could drive off in my perfect car.

Look at safety features

For any person that is older, safety features are very important, especially when it comes to the accessibility of a vehicle. Large, tall-riding SUVs normally won’t fit into your criteria. This is due to the problems of getting in and out of the driving seat, especially with older people that experience muscle and joint pain. There might also be a higher risk for you to fall by trying to enter or exit the vehicle. Other safety features would also be very important for accommodating older drivers such as rearview assist, park assist and all the new fancy camera’s.

Comfort driving is also important

Older people have many limitations physically that must be taken into consideration when leasing a car. The most important ones can be limitations of vision, motion range issues, arthritic hands, and pain in the joints. Certain cars will offer specific features to ease certain kinds of discomfort and pain.

With adjustable pedals, seats, and steering wheel can help older drivers to find a safe and comfortable position while driving. Additionally, keyless ignition and entry may assist those that find it difficult to turn the key. Sun visors that are extendable will protect both the passenger and driver’s eyes against the sun. Also, bigger climate and audio controls might make it easier and extra comfortable for using for people that suffer from arthritis or joint pain.

I am just glad that I had someone to go with me and assist me in finding a car suitable for all my aches and pains. I now ride comfortable in my Toyota Camry, although I also liked the Kia Soul. Please share your experiences and opinions on the cars you drive and whether you have bought or are leasing.

Sharing is caring :-)

Kudos
Views
Replies