Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Enjoyed my raised garden this summer!

Message 1 of 4

retiredtraveler wrote:

We love to garden too. The raised beds are much easier to take care of, imho.

Unfortunately, mine are old and I will have to redo the beds next year before the wood totally rots out. One more garden project to do!

I had to look up Asparagus bean too. But I see it's a Chinese long bean. Those I am familiar with --- just didn't recognize your name. 

@retiredtraveler Agreed on the raised beds being easier to take care of. We have probably 85 feet of raised beds in the greenhouse. Much, much easier to tend. They were a big reason we bought this place, actually.

Now, about that one more garden project thing ... as if, right? As if we needed one more project. Smiley Happy (I'm trimming trees an pulling soaker hoses today)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4

We love to garden too. The raised beds are much easier to take care of, imho.

Unfortunately, mine are old and I will have to redo the beds next year before the wood totally rots out. One more garden project to do!

I had to look up Asparagus bean too. But I see it's a Chinese long bean. Those I am familiar with --- just didn't recognize your name. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4

@sunday46 Oh, it sounds like you enjoyed a fabulous bounty from your work this year. Congratulations! Such a wonderful thing to eat from one's own garden.

Certainly, fall gardening can bring a huge harvest. In this area, (ag zone 5a) those fall crops had better already be plants (not seeds) and be already in the ground, plus the gardener had best be prepared to protect her garden from frosty nights. We've already had a 43F overnight and as of today our highs are slipping by 15 degrees (84 yesterday). Still, fall gardens can be accomplished here in the Colorado Rockies. That said, I cheat with a 1,500 sf greenhouse. Smiley Happy

How do you preserve what you cannot consume right away?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Enjoyed my raised garden this summer!

Message 4 of 4

9-21-17

Hello Community,

I started a beautiful raised garden last Summer.  Due to my Laminectomy last

year there was no one to care for it. Did I make up for it this garden this year! I have a beautiful garden with lots of vegetables. I have been eating fresh vegetables all summer.  For some reason I planted Asparagus Beans! Never heard of them.  They were usually 10 -13 inches long. They are so delicious.

You only need 6 or 7 beans for a meal. They are similar to French green beans.

They taste so sweet and cooks so quickly when they are steamed. Yellow

Cherry tomatoes were also delicious too. I had so many even shared them.

I am so happy to go outside just to look at these gifts of vegetables given by

God.  I have lots of vegetables which iI didn't mention. Must tell yo about sweet

potatoes started from potatoes budding in my kitchen. Don't know when to harvest them but excited to have grown them.

So, this is something for me to see and do each day as I continue to recovery from my Laminectory Surgery.

I hope that some of you would get into gardening if you are able especially when you have been "house bound" like me. My Son helped me keep everything watered and harvested . What a Blessing and help!

Have a wonderful Fall as the season soon changes. There are Fall Gardens too?

Be Blessed!