Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you make your bed?

Message 61 of 72

@Prosecco6247, Cute little motivating rhymes, Mimi! I never had that to motivate me, but  as a kid, when I had to clean my room, I always pretended that the President was coming to my house!  And that would make me do a great job. Of course back then it was Eisenhower and I would be in awe of such a man!  (Now I'd lock the doors and turn out the lights!) Cat LOL N.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 72

@FREEBREEZIN wrote:

I feel better coming into my room throughout the day when my bed is made. CLUTTER or things in disarray affect my anxiety and my brain. BADLY. It is simple if you just do it when you get out of the bed, done, on with the day.

@FREEBREEZIN, you've probably given us the best reason of all to make the bed daily.  Feeling serene and calm, accomplishing your first task of the day...it makes for a happy and contented feeling and really takes so little time.  Mind over matter!  I've heard a lot of people use the "dust mite" information to skip bed making.  (I've given myself permission to feel no guilt when I am pressed for time.  Woman Embarassed )

Many decades ago, my brothers & I grew up with two little rhymes to remind us of how to get our days started on a positive footing and they still rattle around in my head when I am tempted to procrastinate on anything...especially at the start of a new day!

"When you look Good,

You feel Good,

And when you feel Good,

You do Good!"

"Good, Better, Best,

Never let them rest,

Until your Good is Better

And your Better Best!"

(Not to move off-topic, but this is related to what motivates one to make his bed...Woman Wink )  Did anyone else have reminders like these during their childhoods when it came time for making beds & brushing teeth?  I used them with my kids as well!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 72

Oh So true Teri. I know it works that way for me. Starts my day off on the right path. It feels good and it looks great!  Smiley Very Happy

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 72

I feel better coming into my room throughout the day when my bed is made. CLUTTER or things in disarray affect my anxiety and my brain. BADLY. It is simple if you just do it when you get out of the bed, done, on with the day.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 72

I make my bed everyday!!  As soon as I get up unless my hubby sleeps in, then I make it as soon as he is up.  When I was a teenager I never made my bed at all. I fought to have both bottom and top sheets.  But I didn't make my bed!!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 72

Well, here's a six year old article referencing the dust mite issue...sort of difficult to draw a firm conclusion from the information contained within it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/health/05patient.html

I am a believer in dust mite allergies...I have a lot of allergies and insect saliva is one of them.  Fleas create huge welts on my skin that take weeks & weeks to heal.  I suppose dust mites don't bite because they munch on the skin cells one has already shed...whatever! Yuck!

I have used protective covers on my mattresses and pillows for many years.  Land's End sells some cloth ones that are tightly woven and waterproof so I don't have to deal with the sound & discomfort of rustling plastic.  I remember once, we were renting a cabin in the NH mountains, where I was up all night scratching & itching & sneezing.  I had little dots on my skin.  Finally, my husband & I traded beds with my daughter who didn't have allergies and...blessed relief!  I'm also allergic to down...it's the foreign protein that's the culprit!

I also live in a very humid climate...from late spring to mid-October...so I'm guessing the beds in my home are vulnerable to dust mites but I follow the recommendations for hot-water washing, etc.  I use comforters and matching shams, so pulling things tight & straightening them is all I do when it comes to making the bed...still, being retired, living alone and having bedrooms upstairs allows me a certain amount of lax behavior if I start the day running!  I don't beat myself up over not making the bed!  I make it probably 75-80% of the time.  No guilt!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 72

I do make my bed every day. When I first get up, I pull the covers way down. Then I get my coffee. After coffee I do my stretching exercises on the bed, brush my teeth, and then come back to make the bed. So, I figure it gets aired and then looks neat. N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzLzbd-zT4

There were days when you had better make your bed, huh.
I make it but don’t care if a quarter can bounce off of it or not.
Being retired I’ve got plenty of time throughout the day to make it.
No excuse for me.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 72

Yeah, I make my bed and lie in it......

Now, for the domestic kind. Not a chance. I don't know about health or accomplishment, but it makes me a bad housekeeper.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 72

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I honestly can't imagine why it would be better for your health not to make your bed, although airing it out for a while, probably is a good idea.

When I was working, and out of the house at 5:30 AM, I'm not sure I made my bed every day. Now that I have the time, I do it every day except if I'm sick (very infrequently).

Maybe it's worth defining what "make your bed" means to each of us. I have a pretty quilt cover, so I just straighten that out, with matching pillows against the headboard. I don't have an extra bedspread, or additional pillows just for the effect, to fuss with.

A recent article said that leaving the covers down allows mites to dry out and die.  True ??  My grand mother always said to leave the covers down but I make my bed every day. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views