Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you help fight hunger in your hometown?

Message 1 of 10

I volunteer for a local organization in Eustis, Florida entitled Deliver the Difference. We collect donations from businesses and also individuals so we can buy bulk foods for children who have nothing to eat once they leave the school building. Before our program that feeds over 600 children in 17 local schools, those kids faced a long hungry weekend. Yes, there is a summer program as well. We also look for volunteers to help with the packaging of these bulk foods and locations such as gymnasiums for the packing. Our Founders, Bob and Mairi Bostick, devote their retirement life in feeding the hungry by delivering our unique food that simply requires hot water to fix to disaster areas as well. They've had a busy year! They have now brought on Duaine Deason to oversee with local needs. I also have found two churches in Umatilla, Florida that provide food pantries and sadly, most are seniors. There's no greater joy than to give a couple of days a week to help someone else. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

I life in Naperville IL my apartment building is section 8. I have SSI benfits and my rent is cheap . I only paid $211 year.and I know it's hard because I use to be homeless 11year ago . I give  back by volunteer  at my church. My church is only summertime is homeless nite site for homeless people and they all go difference nite site winter and spring .summer and fall .and my church have celebration clinic for all peoples they have hair cuts and warm meal and food pantry and flu shot. I really do give back as much I can . I'm living on tight budget. I got to save much as my benefit that why I can't do donate for arrp 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

I fight hunger by eating a lot!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

I can certainly agree with you. I am a senior disabled lady who struggles from disability check to disability check. I have always given to the less fortunate but I have reached that category of less fortunate. Don't get me wrong I am Blessed by God each and every day. There are many days I have not eaten and while I know there are food banks around and I have had to go at times, with my disabilities I cannot be up for the hours you have to wait from sign in until the food is actually distributed. I have disabilities in my right foot and cannot walk properly, I have to hobble on the outside of the foot, the right wrist has a disability and I have very limited use out of it and my left knee has a disability and this leg has not been able to bend for 2 years now and it never will. This has caused me to have to yet again alter the way I hobble which throws my back and hips out. I have a condition/disease called RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) and I can assure you there is NO sympathy from this condition. It is also referred to now as CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome). They have no idea what causes it and there is no cure for it. It only continues to get wrose and and spread to other parts of the body as mine has.

Temperature changes are vitally painful and RSD is also very touch sensitive which imposes even more pain because you have to wear clothes/shoes at times. I am NOT looking for sympathy at all. I am wanting to explain why I cannot always help with feeding the hungry because I struggle through this too.

I would love to see AARP dive into the condition/disease of RSD/CRPS and help us find a cure and most definitely help us explain to the medical professionals just how painful this is. RSD is ranked #1 on the McGill Pain Index for chronic pain. This is a very misunderstood disease and we need everyone we can get to find solutions to controlling the massive pain levels we endure daily. I have been living with this since 1984.

How I help 'feed the hungry' is by donating items I no longer use or no longer able to wear to a thrift shop near my apt where all proceeds goes to help pay power bills, help pay rent and a food pantry they have but the food pantry will only help people over a 3 year period. They DO NOT understand that low income people with chronic pain will still have the same needs for food and help with utilities/rent after those 3 years are up and they will no longer assist you.

Please understand as I repeat I AM NOT LOOKING FOR SYMPATHY. I AM LOOKING FOR AARP TO GET INVOLVED in the RSD/CRPS condition/disease and see if we can find a cure or anything that can lessen the pain we endure daily. Just as an example of how the seniors with or without disabilities but are low income are treated, I live in an INDEPENDENT AFFORDABLE APT COMMUNITY. Last year we received a $3 increase in our social security checks and they raised our rent $21 which put us $18 more desperate for food and getting our rent/power bills paid.

Anyone looking to donate items to a thrift shop, please fo some homework and look for those who truly turn the profits over for the less fortunate so they can eat and have a roof over their heads.

I have been through every treatment I can possibly go through but 3 and those I will never be able to do. One is I was approved for botox that FDA approved to lessen the number of migraines I suffer due to the chronic pain but they wanted $500 cash up front more than half my disability check. They have approved ketamine infusions but insurance will not cover and you have to go through a series of these infusions every few months and they are thousands of dollars and of course not covered by insurance. The 3rd is the spinal electrical implant and the research I have done on that there are more cons to this treatment than there are pros. I can barely hobble as it it and I cannot risk something going wrong that my paralyze me for the rest of my life.

Sorry I got off topic here but please there are ways to help the families who are hungry by donating household items/clothing to thrift shops that use these proceeds to help the less fortunate. And please help me in trying to get AARP involved in research for RSD/CRPS and for helping us find agencies who are willing to help us when we really need help. The other area I would love to see AARP get involved with is when seniors or those with disabilities that need to go into assisted living, Social Security takes ALL OF THE CHECK EXCEPT $66 which isn't even enough to maintain personal hygiene care much less not having a good quality of life knowing that that $66 per month will not provide us the items that assisted living doesn't provide. And they need to also fight for us who have THERAPY/SERVICE animals. They need to go into assisted living with us. I also suffer PTSD from a very violent attack years ago and without my emotional support therapy animal I would totally crumble.

Can we, as AARP members looking out for one another try and start 'the ball rolling' in helping the low income seniors and disabled into trying to understand just how important these issues are to us. Way to many people are going hungry and so many are living in shelters or on the street. Let's not just try and feed the hungry, let's try and get us to where we at least have the basic needs in life. Together we can do this.

May God Bless each and every one of you. I so wish I could go back in time when I was healthy, working and giving to my community for those who needed it.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

While we have food banks, food drives routinely in our community, sometimes it is better for a person to seek out a family in need (United Fund could supply a name?) and help out a single family who really can use the help whether it be food or something else. It would be a blessing to both, the one who gives and the one who receives and you just may make new friends!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@sistagirlsc wrote:

Lately, I've been the one that need help with food.  As a kinship grandmother of 3 kids, I didn't realize how much kids eat!  It's nonstop!!!  And what do you do when they are finished with their meal and you're still enjoying what's on your plate, and they say can they have more - and there is none?  Suddenly, no matter how hungry you still are and no matter how much you were enjoying your meal, you feel compelled to give what you have to the child.  Then suddenly, the 2nd and 3rd child ask for more.  Your heart breaks and you feel overwhelmed.  Anger pushes in because you know you're doing your best to make ends meet but it's just not enough to go around.  So no, right now, I'm not doing anything to help fight hunger because WE ARE THE HUNGRY.

@sistagirlsc  I've been the hungry as well. Surely there are government and/or non-profit food banks or programs in your area; please seek them out.

Best regards,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

Lately, I've been the one that need help with food.  As a kinship grandmother of 3 kids, I didn't realize how much kids eat!  It's nonstop!!!  And what do you do when they are finished with their meal and you're still enjoying what's on your plate, and they say can they have more - and there is none?  Suddenly, no matter how hungry you still are and no matter how much you were enjoying your meal, you feel compelled to give what you have to the child.  Then suddenly, the 2nd and 3rd child ask for more.  Your heart breaks and you feel overwhelmed.  Anger pushes in because you know you're doing your best to make ends meet but it's just not enough to go around.  So no, right now, I'm not doing anything to help fight hunger because WE ARE THE HUNGRY.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

I always spend a couple of bucks on whatever Kroger (aka Smith's, aka King Sooper. aka City Market, etc, etc) has on non-perishables and add to the drum at the store entrance; $2 for 4 cans of something that can help someone else is a good deal to me, and I get the gas points!

This last week Kleenex was on sale @ $0.99; that included the anti-viral boxes. Bought a couple of cases; believe it will make it to the people who need it.

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Yes, always in some way.  Either by sharing hunting, gardening, foraging and fishing bounty during my reservation living days, cooking for community meals, volunteering at food banks and to serve community meals, donating farm goods and/or donating non-perishables to the local distribution effort, or using the Charity Miles app to turn our cycling and walking miles into cash for Feeding America, I've always had a hand in feeding the hungry.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Do you help fight hunger in your hometown?

Message 10 of 10

Share how you're helping to fight hunger locally.

Small Gestures.  Big Impacts - Enter Now 

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies