Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Conversationalist

Re: Do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

Message 1 of 17
When I was younger I cared but now I celebrate everyday the same and thank God I have another day
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 17

Celebrate you!!!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 17
I'm without a boyfriend or husband right now, but still hoping...I treated myself by getting a delicious tonkastu from Marukai Wholesale Mart today. With hot rice and a clam soup for it rained today and I got caught in it. I waited for the bus in the rain for 15 min. Some Valentine Day, huh? Anyway Happy Valentines! Staying happy no matter what!!!
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 17

We no longer celebrate this day or alot of the other "holidays.". It's became more about spending money to impress others.  True love and appreciation is not based on one "special day" but every day in the smallest and most cherished ways.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 17

I have always ended up with Mr. not quite right.  At first Valentines Day is great.  After some time, they go out of their way to ignore me.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 17

If you don’t have a sweetie, what’s to celebrate?

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 17

Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays and yes, I celebrate it by sending cards to my husband and sons and their families, some close friends and cousins.  Some cards are emailed, but it's the thought that counts.  Valentine's day is unlike other holidays, but in a positive way. Rarely do people rush around frantically looking for gifts they feel like they "must" buy for all the names on their list.   Stores don't blast my eardrums out repetitively playing songs like "Ruldolph" or other such music   until I'm ready to run out of there screaming.  The newspaper isn't full of ads starting three months before Valentine's Day trying to entice me to buy this and that for everyone on my "list".  Valentine's Day seems peaceful, full of pinks and reds, hearts and flowers.  So what if a person isn't in a relationship at the moment.  Embrace the day for what it is - a  day to show and feel special love, even if it's toward your dog.  Buy yourself a box of chocolates or a pretty plant.  Do something special for someone who has no one.  I enjoy Valentine's Day.  I'd like to initiate an additional holiday  and call it "love everybody day".  Maybe it would catch on and we'd see more smiles and less scowls.  In the meantime, I'll enjoy all the love I can get at any time of year, even if it's just from my animals.  Love is where you find it - it's everywhere, every day if you're open to it.  I feel better even writing this email. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 17
My wife has celiac deases, so we must be ever-so vigilant...and we just returned from a great week in San Diego...so...not so much excitement here for another commercialized phony celebration we don’t want or need...great for our grand babies but not the grandparents.
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 17

My mother always made Valentine's Day special for us kids when were growing up. When I got older I would make the day special for her with flowers, balloons and candy. My husband is a romantic and he would always do special things for our Valentine's Day. Now that he is older and not able to get out by himself I surprised him with pink roses and candy. He was very surprised and said it was a lovely gesture. The roses are really for the both of us.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 17

For me, Valentine's day is just a reminder of what a failure I always was at being part of a couple.  I was never good enough or pretty enough or sexy enough, or who-knows-what enough.  I don't celebrate it, but I don't begrudge those who do.