Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you agree that choice of car changes as you age?

Message 21 of 29

I've driven Hyundai Sonatas since 1989.  I've owned three to date.  They are comfortable, reasonably priced, ride well and after all, there aren't many that can beat the mileage or the service waranty 10yrs, 100 thousand miles.  My latest purchase is a hybrid electric/gas relay engine.  The dealership owner, now a good friend used it.  There's a brand new type of hybrid by Hyundai this year & he ordered one for him to use @ the dealership.  He invited me to see the hybrid he had to sell.  I bought it for the safety features alone!  It gets ( I kid you not...) 58 miles to the gallon, measures my Eco-Score, alerts me when my tire pressure drops by 2 pounds, whatever service needs to be done, has all the bells & whistles... GPS, Lane Tracker, Back Assist etc.

I must say, If a terrorist is going to take over my car while I'm driving then atleast I can always lock up the gear box as I can even drive my car standard if I want to! ( that's one of the features most other cars do not have.)  I'm certain that evil minds will do what evil minds do but; I'm a firm believer in making my life as easy as possible, reduce stress, maintain that which will break down without mindfull attention ( much like our health, body & the aging process) & pray I don't accidently drive others through hell as I pray to God that my humor & positive viewpoint remains stable and reality based; the good and the bad!

It's akin to birthing and raising children in the Forest Gump Family ... Personally, I prefer a box of Austrian Dark Chocolates but plain Hersey's Kisses will pleasure my tastebuds too !

Happy Trails !

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 29

@rladdi wrote:

It is laughable to say "chip-driven" cars can go wrong more.  This is really the sign of not being very tech oriented.  Need we go back to the hay eating animals?   

I did have a new Ford, where the chip did go wrong.  I was driving down a road.  Everything stopped. no steering, brakes, etc.  Had to have a wrecker haul it to the dealership.  And this board costs over $400. to replace, thank god for the warranty.  

But even appliances now use chips, it the coming of age, 

@rladdi Well I beg to differ (for one, @retiredtraveler was an IT guy) but for another, DH is a software engineer and our last car was ordered directly from the factory so we could avoid all the smart tech options (read: internet connections that can be hacked and which we will soon enough see being used for terror). I'd say going low tech with a new car just might be a sign of uber tech savvy. Smiley Happy

@AARPTeri DH and I are so weird: we will probably have Jeeps well into our 80s. We love 'em. (They are anything but easy to get into. A person as to climb up into one.)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 29

I have always only purchased used cars in a price range set by my budgeted allowance. But I must say that my last choice was based mostly on the need to be able to get in & out of the vehicle with ease and with respect for my poor old knees. I am thinking my next choice will need to be an SUV so that I will not have to bend down too far to get in--lol. I am not a big fan of all the tech gadgetry either, which I tend to think is just another electronic sensor/gadget that will malfunction, cause problems, and cost a lot to repair.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 29

It is laughable to say "chip-driven" cars can go wrong more.  This is really the sign of not being very tech oriented.  Need we go back to the hay eating animals?   

I did have a new Ford, where the chip did go wrong.  I was driving down a road.  Everything stopped. no steering, brakes, etc.  Had to have a wrecker haul it to the dealership.  And this board costs over $400. to replace, thank god for the warranty.  

But even appliances now use chips, it the coming of age, 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 29

I don't think those safety features are - or should be - designed for seniors, because the last time I checked, even young drivers don't have eyes in the back of their heads to be able to see cross-traffic .. and frankly they seem to be "distracted" a lot more than seniors, and need the help!

I've been pretty consistent with my cars, except for 2 outliers, I've had 3 Toyota Camrys .. each for a long stretch of time. For me reliability & safety are #1, and they've had it, and accessibility has always been good too. With my current 2005 car going into its 12th year, I plan to get a Camry Hybrid, with all the safety features available, and a GPS. (Would you believe it's becoming impossible to get paper street maps?!) Anything that can improve rear/side visibility is welcome. Maybe the car after that will be self-driving, because I'd appreciate that at night going to unfamiliar places!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 29

When I was young my choice of car was "what I could afford".  Now, having just bought a car 6 months ago I can say I wanted some special features and comfort and was willing and able to pay for them.  Loved sports cars until I found that getting in and out was becoming a challenge.  I've been an SUV lover for the last 15 years including the last car I purchased.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 29

No. I don't like all the new chip-driven devices on cars. More stuff to go wrong and have fixed. Not sure how well some of these features work.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 29

Yes, I just purchased a new car and make sure I had all the safety features to help me be safe on the road.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Do you agree that choice of car changes as you age?

Message 29 of 29

There are cars now marketing to older drivers with features making it easier to get in and out of a car, blind spot warnings and more.  What do you think have you changed cars for some of these features?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies