Have questions about your Social Security benefits? The AARP Social Security Resource Center can help.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Do You Enjoy Sending and Receiving Flowers?

Message 1 of 8

@nyadrn, yes! That was the best gift ever and she keeps on doing it. At our age, you don't want any more "stuff," so this is a usable gift. And with her giving it to me twice a year, I can get the $5.00 bouquet every 2 weeks or so and have some cheer all year long. Everyone in the florist shop knows my name now and when my friend comes in to get the gift certificates, they always say, "Oh, you're here to get N's gift cert." HA! I have my own page in their book of gift certs.

I'm with you...I'm so not good at keeping the houseplants alive anymore. I was great with them years ago, but now I keep forgetting to water them. I'm better with the outside plants and flowers in the spring and summer. I do have one planter inside with 3 plants in it that I have managed to keep alive. I need to split them up now though. N.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

@catwoman500 wrote:

I just LOVE flowers! One of my friends gives me a gift certificate to my local florist on Christmas and also on my birthday which is exactly 6 months from Christmas. I go every other week to pick out my bouquet and since they last for at least 2 weeks I will always have fresh flowers in my house because of this wonderful gift.

Eons ago, before they were popular, I always had loads of houseplants probably because my mother had a windowsill full of African violets when I was a kid. Back in the 70's, when houseplants began to be "the thing," there were plant parties kind of like Tupperware parties. HA!

But now flowers are my thing and I enjoy their beauty every day. Heart N.

Hi @catwoman500  Wow  What a wonderful gift idea!!!   I am going to hold on to that one.  My sister always sends flowers and it is such a nice treat.    I have only one plant and it is doing so-so.  I live in a high rise and I have to admit it does not get a lot of attention : (

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

I just LOVE flowers! One of my friends gives me a gift certificate to my local florist on Christmas and also on my birthday which is exactly 6 months from Christmas. I go every other week to pick out my bouquet and since they last for at least 2 weeks I will always have fresh flowers in my house because of this wonderful gift.

Eons ago, before they were popular, I always had loads of houseplants probably because my mother had a windowsill full of African violets when I was a kid. Back in the 70's, when houseplants began to be "the thing," there were plant parties kind of like Tupperware parties. HA!

But now flowers are my thing and I enjoy their beauty every day. Heart N.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

I like recieving plants rather than flowers.  The last longer so I appreciate the gift longer.  Flowering plants are nice,  house plants too but recently I have been recieving a different herb plant every 30 days. Great idea for an ongoing gift.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

I like flowers, but I prefer to pick them out myself, instead of receiving them as a gift.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

Yes I love to receiving flowers that to me is a sign of life. Some buy flowers out love,some buy out of guilt.regardless of the reason it's like fresh air it makes you feel good and brighten up your day.And it's not a waste of money as long as your giving from the heart.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Yep: I like flowers.

Way back when I sent myself flowers in a bone china teacup once a month to establish credit. Some of those teacups are older than me, as the florist had purchased the shop from his father and I sometimes selected stock from the 30s and 40s. They are worth a mint now. Smiley Happy

I have a friend who doesn't like to get cut flowers. She prefers orchid plants and wanted to send me one for a coming celebration. I told her I have a commitment problem, so preferred the cut flowers. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Do You Enjoy Sending and Receiving Flowers?

Message 8 of 8

Some of my friends say sending flowers is a big waste of money:  they don't last long, they cost too much and people don't appreciate them because they are not permanent, unless you send a living arrangement.

I like getting flowers and sending them but wonder if my friends are right.

Do you like getting flowers ?  Do you send them?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies