From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Decluttering Your Life

Message 1 of 5

I'm not really a clutter amasser; I have always had strong minimalist tendancies. (I just don't buy things, so I don't have clutter) That being said, running a farm with a greenhouse means there's lots of 'stuff'. As we have turned onto the backstretch before retirement, this 'stuff' has become one of my divestment tasks. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

I've helped relatives declutter numerous times, and that was enough of a PITA that I'd never let my house get that cluttered! When we moved from Brooklyn, the family had been in that house 50 years, and my grandfather had been a "junk man" during the depression, so by definition the basement was full of treasures (clutter to some). When my uncle died & my aunt moved to Mom's, Mom & I helped her declutter before the move. Then when Mom died & my aunt moved in with me, I had to clear out Mom's house, and declutter mine to make room for my aunt's stuff. One my aunt died, and I cleared out her things, I swore that the last of the clutterers were gone, and my house wouldn't have any clutter!

Because I have the space, I do have a lot of books, but they're all neatly organized on 7 bookcases. I also have 2 conventional, 2 lateral & 1, 2-drawer file cabinet, with all of my papers & tax records going back many years. Every once in a while I take the oldest non-tax files & shred about 80% of the contents.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Yep, group one here.

I started with the kitchen when it was remodeled several years ago. Everything was removed, old stuff was discarded, good but not used was donated. I bought new storage to fit the cabinets, and some new things to replace the old. Each cabinet and drawer had a designated purpose and only those items were brought into the new kitchen. If it didn't have a place, it was gone.

When I retired, I started working on closets. I got rid of a lot, but new hobbies quickly refilled the space. Oh my! . . . and then there's the husband who never gets rid of anything. I do what I can, and don't worry about the rest! 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

If you are reading this you are in one of two groups:

Have decluttered and continue to do so.    

Have never decluttered.  

I am am definitely in group 1.  I have moved and downsized several times already.  It is time to do it again.  Anything that I kept in case my son would want it has pretty much been identified.  The rest needs to be moved on to my siblings to keep and enjoy or pass to their children.  

My storage unit here at the condo building needs going through. 

I feel the weight of these things to be done.  I couldn't imagine a house full.   

Have you decluttered?  Tips Warnings to share?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Decluttering Your Life

Message 5 of 5

Want to Declutter Your Life? Here’s How
Our senior editor and resident decluttering expert reads and follows directions from the top decluttering books of the past two years. Discover what she learned after tackling her home and life, and put her tips to work for you.

After you read our series on how to remove the clutter from your home and life, you may feel inspired to take on a great decluttering challenge of your own.
We are here for you with our downloadable and printable Great Decluttering Checklist, which allows you to download and print the highlights from each of the four top decluttering books. Enjoy, and happy cleaning!

http://www.nextavenue.org/special-report/want-declutter-life-heres/?utm_content=buffer91839&utm_medi...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera