Celebrate Social Security's birthday by pledging to vote to protect it for current and future generations. Learn more

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: DO YOU HAVE A NICKNAME?

Message 81 of 97

ge89 wrote:

I accurried a nickname  in Marine Corp Bootcamp as Mr Mcgoo

Any particular reason ?   Glasses?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 97

I accurried a nickname  in Marine Corp Bootcamp as Mr Mcgoo

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 97

j233183m wrote:

I was given the name Johnny at birth, which was fine until I entered junior high school.  That period of my life was pure H*** as I was pretty much a shy toe-head.  It was with great relief that I went on to High School, only to be dubbed some other colorful names.  My friends called me John.  My not so good friends kept calling me by whatever suited them. 

In 1963 I entered the Air Force where I acquired a nickname that would stick with me until my retirement from Metro Transit in 2012.  Jay!

So, I've been called the following during various times during my life: Johnny, John, Gofer, Rabbit, **bleep**, JohnL, Jay.

When I hooked up with a medical plan after retirement I was back to Johnny, and I've been battling the HMO Gods ever since to just use John on my medical records.  They won't do it because Johnny is on my SSA and Medicare cards.

I am not one to run from a fight.  Now, when visiting the clinic I do not answer to Johnny.  Most people at the clinic now call me John, due to the lack of response to Johnny.

Some of my friends don't understand, but eventually, they will get it.

Wow  this was entertaining!  thanks for sharing!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 97

I was given the name Johnny at birth, which was fine until I entered junior high school.  That period of my life was pure H*** as I was pretty much a shy toe-head.  It was with great relief that I went on to High School, only to be dubbed some other colorful names.  My friends called me John.  My not so good friends kept calling me by whatever suited them. 

In 1963 I entered the Air Force where I acquired a nickname that would stick with me until my retirement from Metro Transit in 2012.  Jay!

So, I've been called the following during various times during my life: Johnny, John, Gofer, Rabbit, **bleep**, JohnL, Jay.

When I hooked up with a medical plan after retirement I was back to Johnny, and I've been battling the HMO Gods ever since to just use John on my medical records.  They won't do it because Johnny is on my SSA and Medicare cards.

I am not one to run from a fight.  Now, when visiting the clinic I do not answer to Johnny.  Most people at the clinic now call me John, due to the lack of response to Johnny.

Some of my friends don't understand, but eventually, they will get it.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 97

MaVolta wrote:

What a fun topic! My mother gave me a very formal name that honored a grandmother and great-grandmother. She then gave me a nickname since she feared someone else in the family might stick me with one she didn't like. When I went to school, I was registered with my formal name, of course, and it stuck all the way through school. Even though I asked my teachers to call me by my nickname, they wouldn't do it, reason being, my nickname was very popular at the time. At least 3 other girls in my class had the same nickname. There was another nickname also popular that at least 3 girls shared. This was a small town, and my graduating class had around 80. 

Thanks for sharing your story.  Sometimes the stories are more entertaining or at leaset as entertaining as the nicknames themselves.  My mom gave us our names and always called us by our actual names...  dad however did not.  Dad loved the army and we were all his little trooplets.. and then he had a special name for each of us..  and we still call each other those names when we want to irritate each other... LOL   My brother recently told my sister to stop calling him "that" since he was now an adult.  I doublt if she will stop LOL

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 97

What a fun topic! My mother gave me a very formal name that honored a grandmother and great-grandmother. She then gave me a nickname since she feared someone else in the family might stick me with one she didn't like. When I went to school, I was registered with my formal name, of course, and it stuck all the way through school. Even though I asked my teachers to call me by my nickname, they wouldn't do it, reason being, my nickname was very popular at the time. At least 3 other girls in my class had the same nickname. There was another nickname also popular that at least 3 girls shared. This was a small town, and my graduating class had around 80. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 97

retiredtraveler wrote:

Ringo. Used to be a drummer in a blues band in my misspent youth..................

wow    that sounds like fun !

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 97

Ringo. Used to be a drummer in a blues band in my misspent youth..................

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 97

WebWiseWoman wrote:

well, heck, might as well share...

from about 5th grade, "box car butt"...

of course, now thanks to the K fam, that's a compliment; back in the 60s, not so much Smiley Wink

oh well, another case of day late...

"K fam"   Love it ! and the nick name Smiley Happy   

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 97

@nyadrn  I love this thread!  I have many nickname and was talking about it recently.

TB my initials as a kid and my friends still call me this.

Teri is actually nickname for Therese

CoachTeri - I coached for many years and the girls still call me this when I see them as well as their parents Smiley Happy

MammaT - I volunteer with high school kids and this is the newest nickname I have been given.

Fun seeing others too!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views