Discover Healthy Recipes. Search By Cuisine, Lifestyle, Nutritional Info And More. Earn Double Reward Points.

Info Seeker

Re: DO YOU HAVE A NICKNAME?

Message 71 of 97

I have been James Frederick Norton formally, but my friends call mme Shamsujim

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 72 of 97

My official name is Katherine.....

But I've been called Trina since the day I was born.

Info Seeker

Message 73 of 97

iMy nickname is Jr. Thats it . 

Conversationalist

Message 74 of 97

Yes - I have a nickname. The nickname is Chessie.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 75 of 97

My given name is Patricia, as was so many of my generation.  As the story goes, I was supposed to be known as Patty until a nurse in the nursery where I was born had other ideas.  Every day she would present Little Trisha to my mother and by the time we left the hospital that was my name.  The "Little" part was thankfully dropped but I remained Trisha, sometimes shortened to Trish by friends.  One day I happened to see the baby bracelet that my grandmother had sent at the time of my birth which was engraved "Patty" and that's when I was told the story.

These were the days before Trisha Nixon made the name popular and I spent most of my childhood explaining that I was not "Pat" (a nickname that I really dislike for some reason) and telling them I was Trisha.  I would be asked how to spell that and many people looked at me like I was a crazy person or speaking a foreign language.

This continued until I got my first real job.  It was in the Engineering Department for the Telephone Company.  There were 5 girls (of which I was the youngest) and 35 engineers.  Of course they gave us all nicknames.  At the time there was a stripper down the street in a bar where many of the engineers went for an after-work drink.  Her name was Patty.  So I got back the name I was supposed to have in the first place, only now I was named after a stipper.

To this day I have to remember if I'm talking to someone I knew before or after 1962.  Old friends and family have no idea who Patty is, just as anyone from college forward only know me by that name.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 76 of 97

Sorry, just read this original post and, yes, some of us do have / use nicknames:

One daughter, Shawn, is Sweet Shawn

One daughter, Krystal, is Kissy

One s-i-l, David, is D

One co-worker (I consider one of my kids) is Sweetie

One friend (I consider best; transgender) is Sistah

One manager is Bossman (he hates that but tolerates)

One manager is "DIRITIS" (Directer of IT and IS) (as in "whoops, there it is")...

just saying, most nick names are true terms of endearment.

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Super Social Butterfly

Message 77 of 97

Thanks, Epster!

Miss being here, as well (like missing the national AARP events so I had the excuse to get away)!

Work is crazy stupid with budget cuts (read: staffing cuts), and so it goes; 2 years until imma be 24/7 not work-obligated (shouldn't that be a movement?)... until then long days/nights. Let's hope no nutjob or natural / weather event disallows that Smiley Wink

Thanks, again,

d

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Super Social Butterfly

Message 78 of 97

Sorry, y'all; forgot I'd already replied to this...

Info Seeker

Message 79 of 97

My nickname is DEBO which is short for my name Debra. I was called this by my father and soon the neighborhood children. I am still friends with quiet a few of these "kids" and when I am referenced I am still called Debo. It is very endearing.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 80 of 97

My Mom gave me a short first name, specifically so no one would be able to shorten it into a nickname she might not like! But my family & very close friends use a diminutive of it anyway.

While I was working in one facility, one of the managers who became a very good friend, began calling me "Lefty". If anyone at work called me that after I moved to another assignment, I knew they either knew me from that assignment, or knew the manager who'd started using it. I kind of liked it.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!