Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Am I really Old enough to be an AARP Member ?!?!

Message 1 of 3

I know the feeling.... it took me awhile to get over the irony of being in a retired group so young. (although I guess technically I am retired from the military) Now when I see things of interest and relay them to my wife she asks (jokingly) if I saw that on my Old folks site and I proudly reply YES and remind her that although she's not quite there yet she's also a member through me!!! Smiley LOL

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Am I really Old enough to be an AARP Member ?!?!

Message 2 of 3

Last month my step-son celebrated his 50th birthday and posted on FB that his first birthday greeting had been from AARP.  He seemed to think this was funny.  I had two reactions to it.  First I can't believe that little boy who was only 5 when I first met his father is now 50 years old.  The second was remembering my own reaction when I received that first mailing and the denial that I had for several years before I checked into the organization.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Am I really Old enough to be an AARP Member ?!?!

Message 3 of 3

I remember the day I started getting AARP stuff in the mail and filing it into that circular filing cabinet of mine, having the same name as my father I assumed that another company had got us mixed up again and this stuff clearly couldn’t be for me, I’m not OLD or retired yet.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that I could join AARP at 50!! This is an OLD folk’s organization it always seemed to us “youngens“ growing up. I remember seeing AARP stuff in my grandparents’ house and thinking how old they must be to have such things lying around, and then it happened in the blink of an eye…. I became eligible to join. To add insult to my “over the hill” party I was surfing the net one day and saw an AARP add about work at home jobs for workers over 50… thinking back to all those mailings I’d thrown away I was intrigued as it is has been a plan of ours to retire early and hit the road in our RV to see this great country of ours.

I read the article to see if I could find suggestions of work I might be able to do while on the road someday and saw a job board search and there it was…. JOIN AARP to get the full benefit of your job search …. or some words to that effect. Well if only I was old enouuuu…..wait what do you mean I can join at 50?!?!? And so I joined and my adventure began. I fished around with the job search idea for a few months and didn’t really see the benefit and got off the site for quite some time then one day I started exploring the website more, although I have yet to find that perfect traveling job to do someday I have delved into just how much can be gained from being such a young AARP member. Now when my Grandkids see my AARP stuff laying around I’m sure to let them know it’s not about being old to be a member of the organization but the exact opposite, changing how we define aging and ensuring that things are hopefully at least 5 fold better for them when they have the privilege of joining one day!!

Kudos
Views
Replies