Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ageism?

Message 1 of 14
I love your answer. LOL
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

By definition, ageism is prejudice or discrimination on the grounds of a person's age.  Well, I thank God I have NOT experienced that yet and hope I never do. But then again and after all, I am a "baby senior."    So I guess I have a ways to go before I may encounter the negativity of ageism.

Now, you may be wondering how it is that I have classified myself as a "baby senior."  Right?  Well, here's my reasoning by the math:  I have a group of senior friends who are anywhere between three and five or six years older than me.  So since I am the youngest in the group and they, by default, will always be older than me......I am, therefore, the "baby senior!!!"  Simple!  See?  (Smiling with all the teeth I have left right now!)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

Ageism continues even in public advertising for a local newspaper going digital. Pittsburgh seems to think it's okay to create tv ads mocking their elderly clientel, while also acting by way of bullying. Given the intolerance of any stereotyping in today's society, this just stinks. What's ironically not amusing is that the majority of subscribers are over 40. Additionally, why the heck would anyone pay a specific company money for digital access for what is already available for free on other websites? And why are these tasteless ads that condon poor moral values allowed when such intolerance and stereotyping isn't even allowed in our schools? Or by employers? Like most things in life, it seems it is all about loopholes and who you know.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

Yes, the "honey, sweetie, and dear" addresses bother me a lot.  The most ageism I experienced was from a doctor who kept referring to me as "elderly,"  I'm 67, mostly healthy, do my own yard work and snow removal --  I don't consider that a sign of being "elderly."  I no longer see that young woman dr. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

Ageism has no age. When I was young, I was "young and inexperienced." Now, when I'm truly senior, I'm not a good fit for jobs with "senior" in the title. That's because someone's now considered senior if they've got five years of experience; they are, in other words, 30 years old.

Oscar Wilde once quipped, "I am no longer young enough to know everything." Unfortunately, there are now several generations who believe that anyone over 30 can't possibly know anything -- at least not anything worth knowing, either about contemporary culture, technology, or something as ephemeral as love.

The perspective has changed. A lot. When I was starting out, I wanted mentors who had decades of experience, who understood the business, and who knew the ins and outs. Now it seems that, just as in current politics, people want to be with other people who all look, think, and act the way they do. My children, by contrast (and grandchildren), think I'm cool, ask me to help keep their computers up and running, invite me to events they like (and think that I'll like, too), and are as eager to hear about my point of view as I am to hear about theirs.

But I've found a solution. I've simply stopped appearing in person. Going to an office is the surest way to turn enthusiasm and anticipation into "He sounded so young on the phone." Luckily, I can avoid showing up because I can work with my clients online. Unluckily, LinkedIn (if your photograph's a current one) discloses your age in a glance.

The people who consider the work you do first do not have a problem with age. The ones who think your image is the picture of Dorian Gray are the ones that you won't hear from again. And that's fine.

In a country where the middle class is vanishing, where work can be sent overseas in a second, and where artificial intelligence is threatening the livelihoods of the very people who write the AI software, people will wake up out of work on their 30th birthday and wonder, "How did I get so old?"

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14
I feel that "ageism" is alive & well all over. I've was terminated from my former employer since July 3, 2013 & I've been looking for a part-time position since then. I've found that when an applicant puts in their date of birth on an application, if it's over a certain guideline (which does exist too), a red flag is populated & said applicant is not contacted. This society does not care if a senior is experienced in their field and has good standing in the business community; they're looking for "young blood". Little do they know that some of these youngsters just want the money & don't want to work hard for it, like we seniors did. I'm now looking for a part-time typing position, but it's not going well at all. I'm at the point where I'm leaving it in God's hands; He closed one door & I'm sure He will open another.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

Yes Ageism is alive and active in California. I work for the state of CA and have for 26 yrs . I am 60 yrs old and mangers some who are as old or older than me even have made comments that I should retire, yes I am hearing impaired and finally have hearing aids but they are not perfect. I also have arthritis ande standing too long or bending dhurts my knees and back. There are jobs I can do but my employer is purposely ignoring doctors orders and assigning me jobs and telling me if I cant do them to retire or go on disability, though other workers with disabilities and doctors notes are excused and given assignments that do not require bending or standing. I work for EDD and I have had lots of clients that have lost jobs near retirement age but not quite eligible yet and have lost their pensions they paid into because they were not 65 but 50 or older. . I have also tried applying for jobs at Community Colleges and State Universities which pay like 25,000 more than what I am making now, where you have to submit transcripts so they age is obvious once they see that and I have not heard back. My pension would not be enough to live on without social security added or another job because I would still be taxed and have to pay a portion for medical and would still be taxed.  If I dont find another job I will have to wrok until I drop or am forced out ( the latter will cause me to sue) Thank you for the articles on lawsuites won against employers practicing ageism.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

Apparently, I've been more fortunate than others.  I may have been subjected to "ageism" at some point or another; but, I haven't noticed it.  At 67, the only true ageism I experience is in my lower back, knees and hips. Luckily, I have been a commission based worker almost my entire life. As long as I produce, I'm happy; and, my employers are happy.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

I have over 50 years of successful fund raising success.  I have been sending resumes in response to advertisements that have jobs that are perfectly suited to my skills and experience.  But I fear, when the potential employer looks at my website or my marketing brochure, and they see a white haired woman, I never heard back.  Out of the 75 or so resumes I have sent out, I have heard back from one for an interview (after that rejected), three reject letters and nothing else.  Very disappointing.  Now I am forced to move from the Bay Area to a less expensive place to live, due to the fact that I cannot find a job. I look in my professional field as well as others..but still nothing.  Ageism is alive and well in this part of California.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

I have experienced "Ageism" several times in my long career as an Systems Engineer. Usually it is combined with economics i.e. older engineers are more experienced and usually command higher wages. On one occassion the firm assigned me the most difficult assignments that my colleagues had turned down  in an attempt to establish a non-discrimination alibi for laying me off due to my age and salary. When I successfully completed these projects they finally layed me off due to my appearance. This was a strange reason since I was working from home. On another occassion I was pressured to retire from my employer after 26 years with the firm because they felt that younger engineers could relate better with their customers.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors