Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Age discrimination in housing?

Message 1 of 7

@RonaldH655772 wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm new to the community and only with AARP for a little over a year or so.

My question/issue in a nutshell:

"Is age a protected class with respect to housing?"

So... What say you?

The Fair Housing Act identifies seven classes protected by the law: race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status and disability. State and local laws often, but not always, extend these protected classes to include such characteristics as sexual preference, age and even student status. Check with your local fair housing or human rights advocacy organization to find out what classes are locally protected in your area.

You can find more detailed info on the Federal Fair Housing Laws here - but it sounds more like you are going to have to research Colorado laws in this particular case.

https://fairhousing.com/fair-housing-101/federal-fair-housing-laws

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7
How the heck did "Spoiler" get there? The mobile site is very user unfriendly...
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7
Spoiler
Thanks. Yes, it is frustrating. I may try legal aid as well or call around and see if there's a lawyer (doesn't necessarily need to be local) willing to take on the case. 

Regarding your question about other non-school related people...

Are you asking about non-students?

For one I would be a student. I'll happily take classes to fill my time and learn something new. I have a close friend who got her PhD at 55. Many of us now are going back to school as nontraditional students but students nonetheless.

As for actual non-students:
Yes there are. We were told some are older than the complexes 30 year old age limit. But they're "married" (yet another familial status dig) and while their spouse is a student they are not. So they are both older as well as a non-student. As I mentioned in my original post my friend and I were kindly (gasp! but we're not married! Omg! Heck we're not even dating. Just actual friends) "offered" the opportunity to share a room which would then have been OK. Yet I could not rent my own bedroom in a two bedroom unit. Tell me how this makes sense?

Thanks for engaging me here and responding. I see many have viewed my post but only you commented.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

@RonaldH655772 wrote:

I was attempting to reply to the other sole comment listing the protected classes and a link which I already know about...

Yes, I know all about 55+ (which can also be 60,65+ etc.

That was a carved out exception as part of the FHAA (the amendments of the original 1960's law signed into effect by Bill Clinton I think in 1991).

Familial Status protection status was also added at that time. Mostly (but NOT exclusively) to project families with children and pregnant women. This amendment also made it illegal for a landlord to discriminate against say a college student or young adult solely because of their age who satisfies all of the other requirements the landlord has.

So... If being too YOUNG is protected so should bring too OLD. 

I was hoping for confirmation of this from the community as well a possibly the moderators or AARP legal staff. (I cannot find his to contact them anywhere on this site). 

Honestly if AARP isn't going to support or help members who are facing age related issues it's not an organization worth belonging to.

Yes, I'm frustrated as I'm pretty sure anyone else who found themselves in a similar situation.

Well I would suggest contacting a lawyer for an opinion as to whether you have a case. Legal aid possibly?  Otherwise sorry for your obvious frustration. 

Are there any any other non school related people living there?  Have you tried asking anyone living there?  A lot of work but maybe worth while.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

I was attempting to reply to the other sole comment listing the protected classes and a link which I already know about...

Yes, I know all about 55+ (which can also be 60,65+ etc.

That was a carved out exception as part of the FHAA (the amendments of the original 1960's law signed into effect by Bill Clinton I think in 1991).

Familial Status protection status was also added at that time. Mostly (but NOT exclusively) to project families with children and pregnant women. This amendment also made it illegal for a landlord to discriminate against say a college student or young adult solely because of their age who satisfies all of the other requirements the landlord has.

So... If being too YOUNG is protected so should bring too OLD. 

I was hoping for confirmation of this from the community as well a possibly the moderators or AARP legal staff. (I cannot find his to contact them anywhere on this site). 

Honestly if AARP isn't going to support or help members who are facing age related issues it's not an organization worth belonging to.

Yes, I'm frustrated as I'm pretty sure anyone else who found themselves in a similar situation.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

FAIR HOUSING ACT  

SEVEN PROTECTED CLASSES:

RACE

COLOR

RELIGION

SEX

HANDICAP

FAMILIAL STATUS

NATIONAL ORIGIN

See fairhousingact.org

There are many 55 plus communities that have age restrictions the other way ie; related to children and those under 55.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Age discrimination in housing?

Message 7 of 7

Hello everyone. I'm new to the community and only with AARP for a little over a year or so.

My question/issue in a nutshell:

"Is age a protected class with respect to housing?"

I'm finding somewhat ambiguous information online (NOLO and even FHA website amongst others). I haven't actually read the whole law and particularly the amendments, FHAA, which is where the"familial status" protections came to be as well as the creation of retirement communities (considered not to be discriminatory based on age).

I'm pretty sure age is a protected class with respect to housing (rental, purchase, mortgage etc.) and technically falls under the not very well defined "familial status" clause. Often what is cited is familial status "includes families with children under 18 and pregnant women". The key word being "includes" not "limited to".

Situation:

I'm looking with a friend at a new apartment. She is going back to school in Colorado Springs through VA benefits. I'm even considering going back for more/new studies/career. (Pushed out of corporate and facing a lot of ageism wrt job hunting.) She told me about a brand new, off campus (not owned/managed by the university), fully furnished set of condo/townhomes. Practically a luxury community - pool, patios, exercise facilities, you name it.
Why wouldn't someone want all that for ~$800/month?

Yes, they are catering to the college students but just as a landlord can't advertise or deny renting to young adults or singles neither is the reverse allowed in my opinion.

We went to look at what we were told were available two bedroom units...

I'm 57, she's 29. The property manager thought we were both "under 30". While that felt good, I said, "No... I'm not.".

"How old are you?" she asked puzzled. I told her and her response was "Sorry you don't qualify." She saw the look on my face and said, "We do have married couples that have older spouses which is OK but you two would have to share a bedroom. WTH? We were pretty shocked, uncomfortable and a little embarrassed. Not good.

Then she proceeded to look at her computer and said, "I don't have anything available now but should in August". Then gave my friend an application. Lastly saying, "There is another complex across town that may be able to rent to both of you.",  sending us on our way...

As far as I'm concerned she blatantly violated the law.

1: Flatly refusing to rent to me because I was too old.
2: Denying there were units available when earlier that day we were told they were and to come in.
3: Steering us elsewhere.

I'm considering filing an FHA complaint with HUD (local and federal) but they don't really do anything as I've discovered.
My other option is to file a civil case at my own expense for the infraction and hope something comes of it.

At this point I'm annoyed enough to do just that as I'm seriously getting tired of the prevailing attitudes.

So... What say you?

Kudos
Views
Replies