Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A Breast Cancer Story - January 2019

Message 1 of 5

@TeriS997376 

Hey Teri

Have kept eye out for any other posts here so could follow your story 

Now I wanna check on you

So how are you doing? 

Hope life is treating you well 

Look forward to hearing from you 

Thanks take care

Ginger  : ) 

"May your troubles be less....your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door" : )
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@TeriS997376 

Thanks Teri you are an inspiration & sharing your story will bless and help many others. Truly a rainbow story of the beauty that can come from good coming from living through a tough time in your life. 

Thanks for sharing

? Do I understand you are going to post here throughout this year?  I definitely want to follow it

May God continue to bless you and heal you.... thanks for being a bright light...... ; ) 

"May your troubles be less....your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door" : )
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Thank-you Lydia for reading and responding! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Thank you TeriS997376 for sharing.  I am happy to hear that after going through so much, you have come out on the other side.  I wish you continued strength and wholeness.  And again thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

A Breast Cancer Story - January 2019

Message 5 of 5

Three years ago this month in 2016, I was recovering from a modified radical mastectomy, done in December 2015. At the time I was 55 years old, and also in the midst of full-blown menopausal night sweats.  Diagnosed with stage 3, breast cancer, I was experiencing a variety of physical and emotional symptoms.  Surgery, chemo and radiation followed.  That took up my attention as I flipped through my entire 2016 calendar.  

I wrote a journal that year detailing my medical appointments, reactions to treatment and the rest of life that went on.  I continued part-time teaching at Gerard’s Guitars, the Ma and Pa music store my husband and I run. Also we took care of my husband’s now 90-year-old father.  

When cancer hits it can be overwhelming.  But I benefited immensely from the mere writing process.  I found it was a creative outlet, and also a tool for getting things down I was afraid I’d forget.  With many appointments, doctors and medications, it’s a challenge to keep track of everything.  I was fortunate to have a great support network.  I appreciated the important work of the National Breast Cancer association, along with many other organizations and services for breast cancer patients.

Today I am strong and grateful for the gift of every day. I look forward to this New Year with fresh perspective and continuing learning.  I believe that fighting cancer is also a push to make sure we live the most authentic lives we can.  When we don’t face our full truths, and follow our callings to bring forth whatever creativity is inside us, something in us gets sick.

As I begin this new blog, I plan to reflect each month, on where I was in the same month back in 2016. Here’s a journal excerpt from the January 2016.  While still recovering from surgery I needed to make plans for chemo and radiation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday 8:04am January 13, 2016

Everything is three, four and five.  I’m looking at the appointment card for oncology today and having a crazy discussion with Gerard about what’s on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th floors of Entrance 5 at Kaiser.  Today is the first time I’m going to the 4th floor.  I’ve been on the 3rd floor for mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsies. Surgery appointments and all draining of the non-boob, happen on the 5th floor.  Today the oncology appointment is with Michael Jay Miller MD at 9am, check in time at 8:45.  Time to get ready and go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yes! I learned the layout of the Kaiser building in Woodland Hills.  I’m so appreciative of the great care I received there.  In the beginning, I felt like I had a new part-time job.  I was learning the ropes, nervous and naïve about what I was about to experience.  

I continue today with hormone pills and periodic check-ups. So far, cancer is no longer seen in my body.  Still, there is always heightened awareness to stay on alert for the possibility of new tumors cropping up.

Now, with some distance from the intensity of the fight, I feel ready to share some of my experiences with newly diagnosed women, and men.  I want you to know that the cancer journey is much easier than it was 20 years ago.  The drugs and treatment have dramatically advanced.  A good quality of life can continue throughout it all.  The healing process is an opportunity to evaluate and make positive changes in life.  I’ve come to a feeling of contentment that didn’t exist before my diagnosis.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies