WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 8 Things Not to Say to Your Aging Parents

Message 1 of 5

Wow, thank you for this helpful article and information.  The sadness is seeing their frustration in feeling helpless/useless during normal everyday activities.  The being unstable in their walking makes doing, say yardwork that they always enjoyed doing, so much more difficult and causes the trigger.  The inability to remember simple actions that they always did on their own but now have too much trouble figuring out, turning on the tv is an example, that can lead to looking/feeling like a bothersome.

We, both the person and caregiver, needs to take time to stop....do some breathing techniques together and then, in my humble opinion, give one another a big hug and try again. I will print this article for my reminder...empathy! Thanks again!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

I have seen people get frustrated with relatives with dementia, but I’ve never heard them say such horrible things.  I think people who talk this meanly to aging parents likely talk this meanly to everyone in their lives.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

What did you think of number 6? I want your silver service when you die.  

Who would say that to their elderly parent? OMG

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Great article. No one wants to feel stupid or like they are losing their minds.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

8 Things Not to Say to Your Aging Parents

Message 5 of 5

8 Things Not to Say to Your Aging Parents Unintended barbs cut to the quick and can’t be taken back. Here are some better options.

Kudos
Views
Replies