Honored Social Butterfly

within decades,

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/02/climate-change-to-cause-humid-heatwaves-that-wil...

Climate change to cause humid heatwaves that will kill even healthy people

If warming is not tackled, levels of humid heat that can kill within hours will affect millions across south Asia within decades, analysis finds

Extreme heatwaves that kill even healthy people within hours will strike parts of the Indian subcontinent unless global carbon emissions are cut sharply and soon, according to new research.

Even outside of these hotspots, three-quarters of the 1.7bn population – particularly those farming in the Ganges and Indus valleys – will be exposed to a level of humid heat classed as posing “extreme danger” towards the end of the century.

Clearly the solution to this problem is to bring back coal, deny the problem exists, or to put tariffs on solar panels.

Honored Social Butterfly

There you have it... the sky is falling. 

Al? Al Gore? is that you? 

No one .... again no one ever believed climate is static. No one.... again no one believes man has NO impact on the earth. That is a common understanding.

What remains is ... to what degree and are the natural environmental checks and balances affected or overwhelmed. You and I can only "believe" and chose a position to support, but neither of us can answer that question. 

That question must be adressed and answered by science.... and not the incompetent UN.  Scientists don't agree because politics has infected the dialogue. Your posts are an example of that.

Let the science find it's own way. Send a check.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@Fishslayer666 wrote:

That question must be adressed and answered by science

That question been answered for some time. You'd know that if you were informed enough to comment on the subject.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/science/global-warming-faq.html#.WYS5a_ltnI...

Honored Social Butterfly

I can give equally compelling data to support other positions. You will call it alchemy and I may not. If you're not actively involved in the science, then your position is political and means nothing to the issue at hand.

Less filling.... tastes great.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@Fishslayer666 wrote:
I can give equally compelling data to support other positions. You will call it alchemy and I may not.

No you can't give equally compelling data, there is none. I wouldn't call it alchemy, I'd call it climate denial. The data is all one way, something it doesen't take a diploma to recognize. Common sense should do it.

Honored Social Butterfly

In fact... there's quite a bit of evidence and the debate continues. Your dismissal doesn't constitute truth or common sense, in fact just the opposite, that's nonsensical to a scientist. Science considers all theories and possibilities and is objective. It doesn't have a position or a physiological bend.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@Fishslayer666 wrote:
In fact... there's quite a bit of evidence and the debate continues. Your dismissal doesn't constitute truth or common sense, in fact just the opposite, that's nonsensical to a scientist. Science considers all theories and possibilities and is objective. It doesn't have a position or a physiological bend.

No, there is no evidence, and the "debate" is long over, except for those being paid by the fossil fuel industry to say that the "debate" is not over. I dismissed nothing. The scientific method did that, and you'd know that if you were more informed on the topic. You can't use your description science as a proof of your position when science has consistantly proved the opposite.

Honored Social Butterfly

"The debate is over except"..... well then the debate is not over. You made my point.

When all is said and done, think of the debate about tobacco, the world will know. By virtue of your tone you are clearly bias.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@Fishslayer666 wrote:
"The debate is over except"..... well then the debate is not over. You made my point.

When all is said and done, think of the debate about tobacco, the world will know. By virtue of your tone you are clearly bias.

You have no point. There is no "debate". (Tobacco?) Until you educate yourself on the subject, you shouldn't repeat someone else's uninformed opinion.

Honored Social Butterfly

A simple check reveals the debate is not over.... but has evolved because of the political bias express by pseudo intellectuals like yourself. Science must find it's own way through the intolerant maze of those who would say "it's done, over, nothing more to see... move along".

To say all is settled, the facts are in, I'm misinformed, is just the another attempt to shut down the conversation. That is not science at work. It is political bias of the highest order. LLL are very good at that.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Albion61 wrote:

@Fishslayer666 wrote:
I can give equally compelling data to support other positions. You will call it alchemy and I may not.

No you can't give equally compelling data, there is none. I wouldn't call it alchemy, I'd call it climate denial. The data is all one way, something it doesen't take a diploma to recognize. Common sense should do it.

That' only one of all the things missing, my friend.

Honored Social Butterfly

Albion--Very well said and spot on! Thank you!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Trusted Social Butterfly

People just want to get away from what is killing them.  What would YOU do?  

IF climate change won't support life where you are...people go someplace else.  Always have, always will.  Welcome or not.  Even the ignorant KNOW that. In the immortal words of "the donald", "What have you got to lose"....you're gonna die anyway, so....what does it matter how?

"BUT WAIT, THERE"S MORE!" 

The immigration impact cuts right across ALL borders everywhere.  Nation States will try to survive with use of force, but it won't work.  Dropping the 'big ones' will destroy the remaining life support system on the planet. Man is his own worst enemy.  Always was and always will be.  So show me where I'm wrong about that.

A phony-baloney wall won't stop dying people from going where they can live.  Face it.   

Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/02/climate-change-to-cause-humid-heatwaves-that-wil...

If warming is not tackled, levels of humid heat that can kill within hours will affect millions across south Asia within decades, analysis finds

Extreme heatwaves that kill even healthy people within hours will strike parts of the Indian subcontinent unless global carbon emissions are cut sharply and soon, according to new research.

Even outside of these hotspots, three-quarters of the 1.7bn population – particularly those farming in the Ganges and Indus valleys – will be exposed to a level of humid heat classed as posing “extreme danger” towards the end of the century.

Clearly the solution to this problem is to bring back coal, deny the problem exists, or to put tariffs on solar panels.

Good synopsis of the GOPer position gruffstuff, but I wonder if the Governments of the 1.7B our INactions are going to doom might take unilaterial action and use their few hundred Nukes to end America's contribution to green house gasses by ending us?

China's estimated stockpile (300) would eliminate every US city with a population over 100,000, and virtually all our industry. India (150) and Pakistan (200) could come close, and of course Lemontops buddies in Russia (5000) could provide a reason for the survivors here to eschew retalliation. Would China, India or Pakistan ever consider such a move? Not sure - what would you do if you knew you could kill the people killing you and your kids?

See, GOPers refuse to even consider cause and effect applies to ANY of their policies or actions so the REAL danger of electing deniers is the rest of the World isn't that stupid, and our local election induced inaction has global consequences.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Good synopsis of the GOPer position gruffstuff, but I wonder if the Governments of the 1.7B our INactions are going to doom might take unilaterial action and use their few hundred Nukes to end America's contribution to green house gasses by ending us?

China's estimated stockpile (300) would eliminate every US city with a population over 100,000, and virtually all our industry. India (150) and Pakistan (200) could come close, and of course Lemontops buddies in Russia (5000) could provide a reason for the survivors here to eschew retalliation. Would China, India or Pakistan ever consider such a move? Not sure - what would you do if you knew you could kill the people killing you and your kids?

See, GOPers refuse to even consider cause and effect applies to ANY of their policies or actions so the REAL danger of electing deniers is the rest of the World isn't that stupid, and our local election induced inaction has global consequences.

Who are these "deniers". I know of no one who denies that there is climate change. As to the GOPers - what are they doing to adversely effect the climate. The only "hair on fire" issue of late has been the Paris agreement - is that what has your panties in a wad?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I wonder if they think it won't affect them.

Climate refugees will affect them....

Disease will affect them.....

Forest fires will affect them....

Honored Social Butterfly

Man Caused Global Warming  will indeed lead to many deaths.     There was flooding in Miami this week, which deniers will scoff at, but then, whe the power is off because of this water, then it does become a BFD.     Heat wave in Pacific NW:   the majority of homes / businesses / hotels etc don't have air conditioning so then it is the Heat that is the problem.     If everyone turned on their A/C in States, then there are brown outs because the infrasture has not been supported to handle the load, as some states refuse to increase home solar / battery upgrades.    Nope Red States want to ignore all the problems that are only growing worse.   

Any major catastrophy is written off by Republicans as a one-off event, 

Meanwhile a second Nuclear Power Plant construction project has gone bankrupt in the USA.    Those were private concerns - already being paid for by the taxpayers who will now never benefit from that energy source.    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-01/for-sale-two-half-finished-nuclear-reactors-never...

Cool graphic by UK folks who show temperature change ( GLOBAL WARMING) over the past 117 years.    https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/8/1/16074956/global-warming-visualization-117-years-191-...

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png