Honored Social Butterfly

within decades,

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/02/climate-change-to-cause-humid-heatwaves-that-wil...

Climate change to cause humid heatwaves that will kill even healthy people

If warming is not tackled, levels of humid heat that can kill within hours will affect millions across south Asia within decades, analysis finds

Extreme heatwaves that kill even healthy people within hours will strike parts of the Indian subcontinent unless global carbon emissions are cut sharply and soon, according to new research.

Even outside of these hotspots, three-quarters of the 1.7bn population – particularly those farming in the Ganges and Indus valleys – will be exposed to a level of humid heat classed as posing “extreme danger” towards the end of the century.

Clearly the solution to this problem is to bring back coal, deny the problem exists, or to put tariffs on solar panels.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff

For the record.... it was 93*F yesterday and 79% humidity. I cleaned my boat and waxed my truck... and then used the boat.

I should be dead. Beer saved me I say.... that's right, beer saved me. FullSizeRender.jpg

heatindexchart.png

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

GF--The young and elderly are at grestest risk. Those without AC are at risk.  Those in poor health are at risk.  

Making a joke that you should  be dead, clearly demonstrates that you have absolutely no idea how serious this is.

Wonder if you will take it seriously when the ocean fish you "slay" begin to dwindle.

RE:  beer--it like any alcohol dehydrates--making you less able to fight off impact of heat--could be ocean breezes helped--and good health at present. Your risk will increase as you become more frail as aging process takes hold.

Making a joke of such a serious and life threatening matter---SAD.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Take a chill pill. Get outside and enjoy the heat. Adapt, enjoy and don't be a snowflake. How did those folks in the tropic survive all those years without AC? is that a right too? By the way.... Fish are smart, they migrate. See Mr. Limpet for an update.

So sad to see only the negative.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Take a chillpill and plan to MIGRATE? Where?

Say you live in Indiana where the climate is fairly reasonable NOW. By 2050 the State will experience heatwaves like the European one  in 2003 that killed 70,000 in 16 countries AT LEAST once every 5 years.

Move to Michigan or Minnesota? Sorry champ - they too will be getting those 2003 heatwaves every 5 years by 2050 and every summer by the end of the century.

Canada? Lotsa luck there - they take care of their citizens, you're not one, so keep looking.

Staying put might be a problem as well. If you live within 20 miles of the coast, and there's 20,000,000 AMERICANS in that area, you'll be underwater by 2050. One of them might take a shine to your current abode.

Eating is another problem. The current warming is shifting weather patterns so more and more rain will fall in the spring, keeping farmers from planting their crops. Then there will be virtually no rain during the summer, killing the crops that do get planted. Shifting the crops north has a teensy problem left over from the last ice age - those glaciers plowed all the good soil off the northern US and deposited it in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana, making crop yields there twice what they are to the States to their north. Farther south, the heat and shifting rain patterns will simply make it impossible to grow corn, rice or cotton in ol' Dixie.

So the neoRepublican solution needs a slight modification - we should all take a chillpill so we won't think about what GOPers did to our grandkids, and migrate into the basement where it'll be cool for awhile at least.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Say you live in Indiana where the climate is fairly reasonable NOW. By 2050 the State will experience heatwaves like the European one  in 2003 that killed 70,000 in 16 countries AT LEAST once every 5 years.

Move to Michigan or Minnesota? Sorry champ - they too will be getting those 2003 heatwaves every 5 years by 2050 and every summer by the end of the century.

Canada? Lotsa luck there - they take care of their citizens, you're not one, so keep looking.

Staying put might be a problem as well. If you live within 20 miles of the coast, and there's 20,000,000 AMERICANS in that area, you'll be underwater by 2050. One of them might take a shine to your current abode.

Eating is another problem. The current warming is shifting weather patterns so more and more rain will fall in the spring, keeping farmers from planting their crops. Then there will be virtually no rain during the summer, killing the crops that do get planted. Shifting the crops north has a teensy problem left over from the last ice age - those glaciers plowed all the good soil off the northern US and deposited it in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana, making crop yields there twice what they are to the States to their north. Farther south, the heat and shifting rain patterns will simply make it impossible to grow corn, rice or cotton in ol' Dixie.

So the neoRepublican solution needs a slight modification - we should all take a chillpill so we won't think about what GOPers did to our grandkids, and migrate into the basement where it'll be cool for awhile at least.

I read a very similar if not the same article. basically, life will only be good above the 45th parallel.  ( a little firther north actually but that gives an idea ).  Picture your map of the US. The 45th goes approximately thru michigans little finger into lake michigan. And again, thats just for a reference, its actually further north. Will people survive in the rest of the US? of COURSE they will. but its not going to be as simple as it is now..ag jobs..hot factory jobs..etc will all go north of the border. it will be the same in the rest of the northern hemisphere..with the northern hlf of the ( former) soviet union becoming the bread basket for europe and asia.  Along with Scouts mention of bad topsoil and granite from glaciation, comes a thawing tundra above it. life in a bog isnt too good, and neither is agriculture. further..thwing tunda is the iggest source of released methane, nd as the process accelerates, well, it will keep accelerating.

So it begins.
Conversationalist

@Olderscout66 wrote:

In hottest Australia, and elsewhere I'm sure, people live underground, and come out at sunrise, and sunset. Better get used to that?

Towns under domes? Partially submerged, or moveable, floating cities? Stuff like that is no longer science fiction.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer666 wrote:
Take a chill pill. Get outside and enjoy the heat. Adapt, enjoy and don't be a snowflake. How did those folks in the tropic survive all those years without AC? is that a right too? By the way.... Fish are smart, they migrate. See Mr. Limpet for an update.

So sad to see only the negative.

there is a reason the tropics have a smaller population...heat brongs the spread of disease. people migrated OUT of the tropics. as the tropics expand..people will continue to move. when it becomes to hot and dry in the US to produce wheat and corn, and warms enough in northern climes to produce that food..think about that.

So it begins.
Honored Social Butterfly

Believe me ... I get the heat thing. like I said earlier 93*F and 79% humidity, I also understand temperate regions are the most productive, agriculturally speaking.

As a individual micro view of climate, I can say (living in S. Florida) the frost line has always been my "gauge"... anecdotally. Usta be further north around Orlando Fl, but it has moved south over the last 50+ years. The Citrus industry thrived in "Orange" county FL. Hardly any left because of the freezes. Doesn't prove or disprove anything... just a personal note.

Agriculture adjusts.

Although my college days are long gone, I was "edumacated" to believe we're in a cooling phase. If my education is now wrong ... is it possible today's education can be wrong too?

My craft is no longer academic and technical. I just good at retirement.... **bleep** good.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer666 wrote:
Believe me ... I get the heat thing. like I said earlier 93*F and 79% humidity, I also understand temperate regions are the most productive, agriculturally speaking.

As a individual micro view of climate, I can say (living in S. Florida) the frost line has always been my "gauge"... anecdotally. Usta be further north around Orlando Fl, but it has moved south over the last 50+ years. The Citrus industry thrived in "Orange" county FL. Hardly any left because of the freezes. Doesn't prove or disprove anything... just a personal note.

Agriculture adjusts.

Although my college days are long gone, I was "edumacated" to believe we're in a cooling phase. If my education is now wrong ... is it possible today's education can be wrong too?

My craft is no longer academic and technical. I just good at retirement.... **bleep** good.

Ref the Florida freezes - part of the change is weather becomes more extreme in both directions. So along with mankiller heatwaves we'll get cold snaps that kill trees for awhile. Too bad about your home - you got flood insurance that can't be cancelled?

Back when we were gettin edumacated, atomic energy was going to solve all our problems, but EXXON had other ideas and Republicans refused to adequately regulate the industry so we got TMI, WPPS and Marble Hill. Then the day Argonne Labs demonstrated their FAIL-SAFE breeder reactor that reprocessed 80% of it's fuel on site, we got Chernobyl, so nobody heard of Argonne's huge success and like idiots we still burn coal for our electricity.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer666 wrote:

Agriculture adjusts.

we were in a cooling phase; i grew up with tons of snow and a snowmobile track and a ski  resort in town..that both are long closed. There is a difference between climate change and weather. just because your local weather indicate otherwise doesnt mean global climate change inst occuring. when we were kids climate science wasnt as developed as it is now. Add in things i have learned living in the same place all my life: frogs, turtles, salamanders and snkes are  disappearing and this piece of property hasnt changed one iota. There has been a turnover in fish species in the river I live on. 

How are the evergldes doing?

I am in extreme southwest Michigan, in the lake effect belt. We get 2 kinds of snow, system and lake effect. either can be brutal. system snow is disappearing, and lake effect is more frequent..because the Lake doesnt freeze over like it used to.

So it begins.
Honored Social Butterfly

Mlseker- Great post! With regard to the Great Lakes, I live with in 20 minutes driving distance to Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario is only about an hour's drive away. You are absolutely correct in saying that the lakes no longer freeze over like they once did. A clear sign that our world's climate is changing.

Thank you for your spot on post!

Honored Social Butterfly

FS--Taking that chill pill, failure to act is exactly what got us in this situation. Apathy accomplishes nothing except ensuring that whatever negative issue is at  hand will become more negative.

Snide remarks such as those referencing people living in the tropics do not help the situation, but only prove there are those still unwilling to act on what is an obvious and present danger to all.

Fish are smart--people are dumb--where do fish go when the entire planet is warming?? 

Honored Social Butterfly

They go deeper.

I live in the tropics... not snide just fact.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yup, they go deeper--where the water is becoming increasingly warmer.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

People have already died this summer because of the heat.  Yesterday, today, and tomorrow the Seattle area is, has, will be hit with a heat wave--106 degrees fahrenheit--only 1/3 of citizens have AC because these are extremely uncommon temperatures for the Pacific NorthWest.  (CNN)

Where does anyone go when there is no where left to go?? The fantasyland of deniers won't save anyone.

Honored Social Butterfly

@pc6063 wrote:

People have already died this summer because of the heat.  Yesterday, today, and tomorrow the Seattle area is, has, will be hit with a heat wave--106 degrees fahrenheit--only 1/3 of citizens have AC because these are extremely uncommon temperatures for the Pacific NorthWest.  (CNN)

Where does anyone go when there is no where left to go?? The fantasyland of deniers won't save anyone.

How many do you suppose died because we opted out of the Paris agreement?

Or is there something else that the "fantasyland of deniers" caused.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Do you really think that pollution stays within the borders in which it is created? 

When one country fails to step up and work toward cleaning up the environment, it hurts everyone.

The planet is heating up causing more frequent and more severe weather.

And yes, this IS something that those living in the fantasyland of deniers helped to cause. 

A more intelligent question would be --HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE WILL DIE BECAUSE WE PULLED OUT OF THE PARIS ACCORD!? 

Thank God we have people here who know enough and care enough to continue to work toward protecting our environment. trump and supporters are too stupid to even suspect they don't have a clue. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@pc6063 wrote:

Do you really think that pollution stays within the borders in which it is created? 

When one country fails to step up and work toward cleaning up the environment, it hurts everyone.

The planet is heating up causing more frequent and more severe weather.

And yes, this IS something that those living in the fantasyland of deniers helped to cause. 

A more intelligent question would be --HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE WILL DIE BECAUSE WE PULLED OUT OF THE PARIS ACCORD!? 

Thank God we have people here who know enough and care enough to continue to work toward protecting our environment. trump and supporters are too stupid to even suspect they don't have a clue. 

What will not be done because we pulled out?? "Deniers" is getting old - who are they and what are they denying. But I see you are right on top of things using the current "approved" term - "fantasyland".

Now, since you think that we supporters of our President are stupid because we did not see the importance of a massive redistribution of our wealth, possibly you can explain how that will stop nations (including us) from cleaning things up?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Until recently, Republicans denied global warming because the GOPerLords told them to.

When the evidence became overwhelming, the GOPerLords switched gears and told the Republicans there WAS climate change causing the planet to heat up, but Man had nothing to do with it and therefore no action by Man could mitigate the change.

Why? Because accepting Man is causing and therefore can stop the warming means we have to do something. That will take  a lot of Government intervention in the market, and GOPerLords oppose Government interference in their activities.

The fact the warming will be more devistating to the people of the world than WWII and the "Spanish Flu" combined is of no concern because they feel their wealth will protect them and their families.

Not sure why neoRepublicans support the GOPerLords when they are among the ones who will lose bigtime. Perhaps they figure teaching their kids how to suckup to the rich and powerful will save them. It won't, but admitting that would cause them to change their minds, and that's something Republicans never do.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Until recently, Republicans denied global warming because the GOPerLords told them to.

When the evidence became overwhelming, the GOPerLords switched gears and told the Republicans there WAS climate change causing the planet to heat up, but Man had nothing to do with it and therefore no action by Man could mitigate the change.

Why? Because accepting Man is causing and therefore can stop the warming means we have to do something. That will take  a lot of Government intervention in the market, and GOPerLords oppose Government interference in their activities.

The fact the warming will be more devistating to the people of the world than WWII and the "Spanish Flu" combined is of no concern because they feel their wealth will protect them and their families.

Not sure why neoRepublicans support the GOPerLords when they are among the ones who will lose bigtime. Perhaps they figure teaching their kids how to suckup to the rich and powerful will save them. It won't, but admitting that would cause them to change their minds, and that's something Republicans never do.

GOPerLords or not I know of no one resisting the idea of climate change (the "approved" term of the left). Do you???

The issue has always been how much is man caused, what can we do about it and to what degree is it worth the sacrifice? We have actually been cleaning things up for decades.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

GOPerLords or not I know of no one resisting the idea of climate change (the "approved" term of the left). Do you???

The issue has always been how much is man caused, what can we do about it and to what degree is it worth the sacrifice? We have actually been cleaning things up for decades.

That is where the problem lies,  Even China doesn't believe that the US  is doing enough to actuallly counteract the damage that we do to our climate. and now, they will become the primary country in clieaning their own air and selling  clean air to everyone else in the word. I guess that Trump missed that opportunity in creating jobs in this country.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

Global Warming>Climate Change is driven by the increase in greenhouse gasses.  C02, is a major contributor to the warming of the atmosphere and man adds  30-40 billion tons of C02 each year with no corresponding increase in planet's ability to absorb.  The climate changes experienced have correlated to the increase in greenhouse gasses with correlate to the increased release of those gasses into the atmosphere by man. 

We have, indeed, reduced the amount of pollution/greenhouse gasses "per unit" (cars?) but we keep producing more cars.  Like eating lowfat ice cream but three times as much. 

What degree is worth the sacrifice?  Depends on whether it is your ox which is being gored. The Navy is re-engineering and moving naval yards in Norfolk to deal with the immediate effects of climate change on sea levels and storm intensity. This is not going to get better until we get our greenhouse emissions under control 

Finally, I had a cousin who felt it completely permissible to urinate in one end of the pool as long as he planned to swim in the other end.  Frankly, this argument consistently fell on deaf ears. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Global Warming>Climate Change is driven by the increase in greenhouse gasses.  C02, is a major contributor to the warming of the atmosphere and man adds  30-40 billion tons of C02 each year with no corresponding increase in planet's ability to absorb.  The climate changes experienced have correlated to the increase in greenhouse gasses with correlate to the increased release of those gasses into the atmosphere by man. 

We have, indeed, reduced the amount of pollution/greenhouse gasses "per unit" (cars?) but we keep producing more cars.  Like eating lowfat ice cream but three times as much. 

What degree is worth the sacrifice?  Depends on whether it is your ox which is being gored. The Navy is re-engineering and moving naval yards in Norfolk to deal with the immediate effects of climate change on sea levels and storm intensity. This is not going to get better until we get our greenhouse emissions under control 

Finally, I had a cousin who felt it completely permissible to urinate in one end of the pool as long as he planned to swim in the other end.  Frankly, this argument consistently fell on deaf ears. 

Your cousin might have gotten short changed in the gene pool. However, the question remains - "GOPerLords or not I know of no one resisting the idea of climate change (the "approved" term of the left). Do you???".

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

I see nothing in the post you responded to that blames death from heat this year on opting out of the Paris agreement.

Is there something else in the "fantasy land of deniers" that can justify denying the truth about global warming and climate change? Is there something else in the "fantasy land of deniers" that can justify us doing nothing in conjunction with global partners?

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

I see nothing in the post you responded to that blames death from heat this year on opting out of the Paris agreement.

Is there something else in the "fantasy land of deniers" that can justify denying the truth about global warming and climate change? Is there something else in the "fantasy land of deniers" that can justify us doing nothing in conjunction with global partners?

Well, is the backing out of the Paris agreement not the big buggaboo about President Trump?

And, two "deniers" and one "denying" - yet, who are these "deniers" and what are they "denying"?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Many GOPers retain an infantile ability to truthfully deny a connection between their actions or inaction and the consequences.

Trying to discuss something as subtile as climate change with a conservative is as productive as debating a pig on the merits of ham v turkey for Christmas dinner.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Many GOPers retain an infantile ability to truthfully deny a connection between their actions or inaction and the consequences.

Trying to discuss something as subtile as climate change with a conservative is as productive as debating a pig on the merits of ham v turkey for Christmas dinner.

"infantile ability" - interesting term. How does it relate to the importance of a massive wealth redistribution on a global basis to some unnamed entity - to save the world? And please - a bit deeper than the Christmas menus.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Scout--still laughing!

Honored Social Butterfly

@pc6063 wrote:

Scout--still laughing!

You're welcome. Real shame the biggest joke is living in the White House.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png