Find answers to your Social Security questions in the AARP Social Security resource center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: we must unite as Americans.

Message 21 of 76

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@MaVolta

Your link really didn't say much about the system specifically but in reading about it in detail, yes, I could see how culture would play a big part of it.  Lots of differences in their system and ours -

If you would like to read about it in detail so we can discuss any points which you think you would like or dislike.

Commonwealth Fund: International Health Care System Profiles 2016 - The Swedish Health Care System

However, one of the things I am noticing about many of the systems in other countries is that the national government has limited or set responsibilities and much of the running and sometimes the financing is taken on by regional type governments, similar to our states or even sometimes by local governments although for a country as big as ours, I don't know about local governments but perhaps some state breakdown for the up close and personal running of the local systems.

One common thread is that the government provides standard care (both state and centrally run plans) financed through a combination of taxes and individual premiums. The other thread is that they make outcomes public forcing providers to compete on costs and outcome. 

Do you have a preferred system?

I have no preference - I just want to make sure that IF a new system is devised that people understand exactly what they are getting and perhaps what they might be losing.

We make outcomes public too especially in Medicare - how many people check those outcomes?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 76

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

If we are going to come together, we have to concentrate on goals and then look to see how we can best achieve them. 

I will go first. I want every resident of the United States to have affordable healthcare to be in the top five developed nations using metrics of  life expectancies, infant mortality, and costs. 

Can we come together on that as a goal? 

I'll agree on the goal but not necessarily on the implementation. Great GOAL!

Coud you give me some idea of what kind of implementation would appeal to you?

One that wasn't controlled by government. Right now the problem is shared by lawyers, insurance companies, and government.  Years ago there were county hospitals for the poor and middle class as well as private hospitals with little lawyer involvement and no insurance companies.

What's your plan?

So you want to go back to hospitals controlled by the government for the little people but private hospitals for the wealthy. 

That's exactly what they have in many countries (ie Costa Rica, India) with very good care. What's your plan - have the government run everything?

Ever been to India? Go there and see how the people live and work and what they get. Yes with a lot of money they do fine. Have you ever seen people going to the bathroom on the street, or had to avoid what here we call dog dirt on the grass, and pavement. In India you will see that. That is conservitve care? Learn before you speak.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 76

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Richva and MaVolta

All systems are somewhat the same when the balancing of cost and coverage come into play.  

(See the Link below) When this same situation occurred here in the US with people on Medicare, Medicaid and those under prison healthcare, they  or their representatives took the matter to court along with medical experts and the funds had to be found to cover their treatment.

This is an example of why our health care cost are higher.  

Sveriges Radio - New Hepatitis C Medicine Not for Everyone

Just saying that conservatives love to post "we need to work together" but when you ask what they want to have happen, they post about what they do not want. 

It is as if they want the best surgical outcomes at the lowest cost but not from a surgeon who has experience or attended medical school. 

Do conservatives have any idea at all what their vision of a heath care system looks like?

Sorry, I hit reply before I posted anything - too much merriment, I guess.

I am not posting what I don't want, I am posting the reality of the system(s) - Don't you think that Americans need to know the complete story before making any decision.  What, if anything, are we gonna give up in health care coverage? 

If you want lower cost based on a taxpayer system, there is gonna be some trade offs.  REALITY !

We aren't gonna just get rid of profits in the health insurance industry, reduce profits in the pharmaceutical industry, negotiate lower rates with providers, servicers and hospitals - there has to be some long range ethical choices.

Personally, I think we should work on lowering our cost in healthcare - there is plenty we can do if our legislators have to balls to get it done.  A blending of our current system with some of the cost containment methods used in other countries and perhaps a few that they haven't even tried yet..

Here is another:

2017 Healthcare Priority Setting and Rare Diseases - What Matters When Reimbursing Orphan Drugs

Department of Medical and Health Sciences, Linköping University, Sweden, 2017

The rarity of a disease can give rise to challenges that differ from conventional diseases. For example, rarity hampers research and development of new drugs, and patients with severe, rare diseases have limited access to qualified treatments. When drugs are available, clinical evidence has higher uncertainty and the drugs can be very expensive. When setting priorities in the healthcare sector, treatments aimed at patients with rare diseases, so called orphan drugs, have become a source of concern. Orphan drugs seldom show solid evidence of effectiveness or cost - effectiveness.

Still, treatments for rare disease patients, available on the European market, has increased rapidly since the adoption of a regulation offering incentives for research and development of orphan drugs. The question arises as to whether the publicly funded health care system should provide such expensive treatments, and if so, to what extent.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 76

@GailL1 wrote:

Richva and 

All systems are somewhat the same when the balancing of cost and coverage come into play.  

(See the Link below) When this same situation occurred here in the US with people on Medicare, Medicaid and those under prison healthcare, they  or their representatives took the matter to court along with medical experts and the funds had to be found to cover their treatment.

Just saying that conservatives love to post "we need to work together" but when you ask what they want to have happen, they post about what they do not want. 

It is as if they want the best surgical outcomes at the lowest cost but not from a surgeon who has experience or attended medical school. 

Do conservatives have any idea at all what their vision of a heath care system looks like?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 76

Richva and 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 76

@GailL1 wrote:

@MaVolta

Your link really didn't say much about the system specifically but in reading about it in detail, yes, I could see how culture would play a big part of it.  Lots of differences in their system and ours -

If you would like to read about it in detail so we can discuss any points which you think you would like or dislike.

Commonwealth Fund: International Health Care System Profiles 2016 - The Swedish Health Care System

However, one of the things I am noticing about many of the systems in other countries is that the national government has limited or set responsibilities and much of the running and sometimes the financing is taken on by regional type governments, similar to our states or even sometimes by local governments although for a country as big as ours, I don't know about local governments but perhaps some state breakdown for the up close and personal running of the local systems.

One common thread is that the government provides standard care (both state and centrally run plans) financed through a combination of taxes and individual premiums. The other thread is that they make outcomes public forcing providers to compete on costs and outcome. 

Do you have a preferred system?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 76

@GailL1 wrote:

@MaVolta

Discussing specifics is really going off topic, so maybe in another thread if there is enough interest. The point of my post was directed at American culture, and the link provided some evidence of that. I thought it was noteworthy as it was based on the observations of American students in the healthcare profession who studied the Swedish system.

Sweden pretty much takes a cradle-to-the-grave approach to healthcare. It's a bit like merging a large PPO network with your local county services administration. Most of the taxes are levied at the local level. Private healthcare services are also available, so there is a choice. It seems that most are satisfied with the public system. Maybe they are happier because they have less to worry about.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 76

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

That's exactly what they have in many countries (ie Costa Rica, India) with very good care. What's your plan - have the government run everything?

This is what I found on the Costa Rican and Indian health care system. Looks like both of them are state run with the Indian system being run by the individual "states" in India and the Costa Rican system by the central government. Costa Rica is slightly outperforming the US but at drastically reduced costs while India sucks on both counts.

I don't think that is what you had in mind. You are correct, I want to see a single payer system with minimum required services mandated.  Can you describe the system you would like to see and not just what you don't want?

Costa Rica has its own social health care system called Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social (CCSS), commonly referred to as the “Caja”. This universal health care system will cover Costa Rican citizens, permanent residents, and visitors for a small monthly fee based on a percentage of your income.Mortality in the United States is 18% higher than in Costa Rica among adult men and 10% higher  among middle-aged women, despite the several times higher income and health expenditures of the United States.

The health care system in India is universal. That being said, there is great discrepancy in the quality and coverage of medical treatment in India. Healthcare between states and rural and urban areas can be vastly different. With the perspective of outcomes, in India the life expectancy at birth is 63 years for men and 66 years for women, while that for US is 76 years for men and 81 years for women. Children under the age of five are also a lot more likely to die in India than in the US.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 76

@MaVolta

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 76

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

If we are going to come together, we have to concentrate on goals and then look to see how we can best achieve them. 

I will go first. I want every resident of the United States to have affordable healthcare to be in the top five developed nations using metrics of  life expectancies, infant mortality, and costs. 

Can we come together on that as a goal? 

I'll agree on the goal but not necessarily on the implementation. Great GOAL!

Coud you give me some idea of what kind of implementation would appeal to you?

One that wasn't controlled by government. Right now the problem is shared by lawyers, insurance companies, and government.  Years ago there were county hospitals for the poor and middle class as well as private hospitals with little lawyer involvement and no insurance companies.

What's your plan?

So you want to go back to hospitals controlled by the government for the little people but private hospitals for the wealthy. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22