Honored Social Butterfly

unpredictable ally

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-betrays-everyone-the-president-has-a-long-record-as-an...

‘Trump betrays everyone’: The president has a long record as an unpredictable ally

President Trump prepared for the pivotal meeting with congressional leaders by huddling with his senior team — his chief of staff, his legislative director and the heads of Treasury and the Office of Management and Budget — to game out various scenarios on how to fund the government, raise the debt ceiling and provide Hurricane Harvey relief.

But one option they never considered was the one the president ultimately chose: cutting a deal with Democratic lawmakers, to the shock and ire of his own party.

Trump demands absolute loyalty from others, but is only loyal to himself.

Democrats and Republicans should keep that in mind when dealing with him.

Honored Social Butterfly

When I first heard that Trump struck a deal with the Dems to raise the Debt Ceiling, I thought Trump must have made a deal with the Dems concerning his Tax Reform Plan. Maybe a deal with Dems to give plenty of subsidies to the insurance companies to strengthen the ACA. But now I'm seeing it at least has to do with abolishing the Debt Ceiling Rule.

Trump, Schumer agree to pursue plan to repeal the debt ceiling

President Trump and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer have agreed to pursue a deal that would permanently remove the requirement that Congress repeatedly raise the debt ceiling.
Trump and Schumer discussed the idea Wednesday during an Oval Office meeting. The two, along with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi , agreed to work together over the next several months to try to finalize a plan, which would need to be approved by Congress.
One of the people familiar described it as a “gentlemen’s agreement.”

On Thursday, after meeting with Schumer on Wednesday, Trump was asked about abolishing the congressional process for raising the debt ceiling. He replied that "there are lots of good reasons to do that."

The U.S. government spends more money than it brings in through taxes and fees, and it covers that gap by issuing debt to borrow money. The government can borrow money only up to a certain limit, known as the debt limit or the debt ceiling. The government routinely bumps up against this ceiling, requiring Congress to raise it again and again.

These votes are often politicized and can cause panic among investors.

From Wall Street's perspective, removing the debt limit is a very positive thing to do.

Since Chuck Schumer is supported by Wall Street, I can see the deal being made.

Chuck Schumer's Top Campaign Contributors 1989-2018:

#1 Goldman Sachs
#2 CitiGroup
#3 Paul, Weis et al
#4 J P Morgan Chase
#5 Credit Suisse Group

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/07/trump-schumer-agree-to-pursue-plan-to-repeal-...

and Open Secrets -- Chuck Schumer,,,

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of-congress/summary?cid=N00001093&cycle=CAREER

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Not that I agree with either party on those issues, but it appears Dems are out-maneuvering the Republicans, even though they are the minority party.

That is one way to look at it, but I don't give credit to " the Dems " for Trump's unpopularity, that comes from the bottom up, not the top down.

Democrats can exploit that unpopularity, that loss of political capital on part of Republicans, including Trump, but that out maneuvering is only made possible by the ground swell of opposition to Trump and Republicans from the people who may include but are not necessarily Democrats.

I think it would be a mistake for the Democratic Party to think they have the people behind them and they have been given a mandate by the people. The mandate comes from the people, I think that is as far as it goes. Democrats need to listen not dictate.

Honored Social Butterfly

Dems and Trump are making the Republicans look bad. Republican voters will look at Congress as "the swamp".

It's still politics, but it looks like Republicans are losing.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-betrays-everyone-the-president-has-a-long-record-as-an...

‘Trump betrays everyone’: The president has a long record as an unpredictable ally

Trump demands absolute loyalty from others, but is only loyal to himself.

Democrats and Republicans should keep that in mind when dealing with him.

You beat me to it, gruff.  That's good.  The conclusions drawn above raise the question 'Why...with all the evidence showing the first to be true, does anyone still 'deal' with this shabby excuse for a human being?"  Got an answer?  I sure as hell don't.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

He's a narcissist.  So I'm sure he can be charming when he wants to be.  

Even smart people could be lured into believing him for a bit.   But keep that narcissist concept in mind when trying to figure out what he's doing.   Because that's true.   Morals mean nothing.  Loyalty means nothing.   Promises mean nothing.   A narcissist will do what benefits him in the moment and in the long game.  That is the only predictable piece of their behavior.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png