Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: trump Wants to Dictate What People Eat

Message 11 of 41

@afisherwrote:

Ignoblers are a strange breed.   They keep screaming that anyone against the current regime is a "neo-marxist" - but then Donald comes up with an "idea" that he should be able to dictate what people eat....and they celebrate....weird.     But then Donald believes that McDonald's is great food.

Although the lefties try to attach their attributes of collectivism to us on the right, we truly are independent thinkers. So, this ignobler can only speak for himself when he says you are not understanding my thinking. I do not call those opposed to the President neoMarxists. That term refers to those calling for a strong centralized one Party government with total control of the economy and the distribution of wealth. In other words - those that subscribe to Progressivism.

As to the food thing - if we are going to pay for people's food, we might as well try to get them to eat healthy.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 41

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@sp362wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Panjandrom wrote:

Centristsin2010:  Canned milk.....canned meat.....canned veggies.....canned fish.......really?  Really!

I see this as a twofer........they will get that naughty tingle by hurting poor people, AND they can be the Nanny State they are at heart. So of course they would love this new scam.

The people under discussion are already dependent on the Nanny State. How does providing people with healthy food hurt them?

It would cut back their Coca-Cola, potato chips, cookies, and ice cream budget in favor of healthy foods? Disaster!

Nothappening, SNAP (food stamps) benefits only are available for certain foods.  Next time you are in a grocery store if you look at the shelf labels, you can usually tell what items are allowed.  I don't know if Coke is approved or if the Coke lobbyists made sure it is on the approved list.

Since this is supposed to be a temporary program and is not supposed to cover your entire food budget, I have no problem with the Government trying to do it as inexpensive as possible.

I still remember the liquor store owner (who I knew very well) who told me he took "food stamps" (called that at the time) to purchase liquor. I asked if that was legal and he replied no, but if I don't sell it for the stamps, some other liquor store would get his/her business. I then learned that you could virtually buy anything with "food stamps" but the equivalent price might just be higher!

Greed is often a large part of any problem.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 41

@rk9152wrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Panjandrom wrote:

Centristsin2010:  Canned milk.....canned meat.....canned veggies.....canned fish.......really?  Really!

I see this as a twofer........they will get that naughty tingle by hurting poor people, AND they can be the Nanny State they are at heart. So of course they would love this new scam.

The people under discussion are already dependent on the Nanny State. How does providing people with healthy food hurt them?

Please sit down for a moment, "rk"  Don't want you to fall down or anything with this shocking news, fresh food is healthier.

Agreed. But what has that to do with the eating habits of welfare recipients?  Really?

BTW - any thoughts on the "Nanny State" thought. (sic) Nope.  I prefer to ignore Conservative bumper sticker talk.  But thanks for asking.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 41

@sp362wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@sp362wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Nothappening, SNAP (food stamps) benefits only are available for certain foods.  Next time you are in a grocery store if you look at the shelf labels, you can usually tell what items are allowed.  I don't know if Coke is approved or if the Coke lobbyists made sure it is on the approved list.

Since this is supposed to be a temporary program and is not supposed to cover your entire food budget, I have no problem with the Government trying to do it as inexpensive as possible.

I still remember the liquor store owner (who I knew very well) who told me he took "food stamps" (called that at the time) to purchase liquor. I asked if that was legal and he replied, no but if I don't sell it for the stamps, some other liquor store would get his/her business. I then learned that you could virtually buy anything with "food stamps" but the equivalent price might just be higher!

I think there will always be people who try to "game" any system, no matter what it is.  I would include your friend in that since he could have had the ethics to refuse and chose money over what should rightfully be done.  His reasoning that "somebody else will do it", is just his excuse for why he is doing it.

I don't think any system will be perfect and since SNAP is designed as a supplement to your food budget, I think the Government should be doing it as cheaply as possible.  If this means Trump's plan actually saves money, that is fine.  If it really costs more when you factor in deliveries, than we should stay with what we are doing.  Since SNAP already "dictates what you eat", I think the title of this post is unfair and this program needs to be used for the purpose intended, to keep people from starving to death.  Some people on here may not like this comment, but if they want more nutritious food, they need to improve their conditions and earn it.  There is a difference between helping them with a need and helping them with a want.

I agree with your post. If Trump's plan gives nutritious food to those who need it including delivery and the cost is lower, do it. If it winds up costing more, revert back to the old system.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 41

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@sp362wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I still remember the liquor store owner (who I knew very well) who told me he took "food stamps" (called that at the time) to purchase liquor. I asked if that was legal and he replied, no but if I don't sell it for the stamps, some other liquor store would get his/her business. I then learned that you could virtually buy anything with "food stamps" but the equivalent price might just be higher!

I think there will always be people who try to "game" any system, no matter what it is.  I would include your friend in that since he could have had the ethics to refuse and chose money over what should rightfully be done.  His reasoning that "somebody else will do it", is just his excuse for why he is doing it.

I don't think any system will be perfect and since SNAP is designed as a supplement to your food budget, I think the Government should be doing it as cheaply as possible.  If this means Trump's plan actually saves money, that is fine.  If it really costs more when you factor in deliveries, than we should stay with what we are doing.  Since SNAP already "dictates what you eat", I think the title of this post is unfair and this program needs to be used for the purpose intended, to keep people from starving to death.  Some people on here may not like this comment, but if they want more nutritious food, they need to improve their conditions and earn it.  There is a difference between helping them with a need and helping them with a want.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 41

@sp362wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Panjandrom wrote:

It would cut back their Coca-Cola, potato chips, cookies, and ice cream budget in favor of healthy foods? Disaster!

I still remember the liquor store owner (who I knew very well) who told me he took "food stamps" (called that at the time) to purchase liquor. I asked if that was legal and he replied no, but if I don't sell it for the stamps, some other liquor store would get his/her business. I then learned that you could virtually buy anything with "food stamps" but the equivalent price might just be higher!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 41

@Centristsin2010wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Panjandrom wrote:

Please sit down for a moment, "rk"  Don't want you to fall down or anything with this shocking news, fresh food is healthier.

Agreed. But what has that to do with the eating habits of welfare recipients? 

BTW - any thoughts on the "Nanny State" thought.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 41

trump Wants to Dictate What People Eat

Republicans have been doing that all my life, Steak to hamburger, hamburger to chicken, chicken to beans. That is with adding the SO as an income earner, I guess next we'll have to put the kids to work.

Now it would appear poor people can't  be trusted to buy their own beans, big government will tell them what to eat, and how much they can have to eat.

They're going to feed the poor across the US the same way they fed the poor in Puerto Rico.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 41

THE PROGRAM WAS CALLED COMMODITY FOODS.

GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN THERE; DONE THAT.

DIDN'T WORK!!!!!

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 20 of 41

easyed598: And if you control their thinking they grow up to be Democrats.  There are videos of kids dumping their school lunches in the trash or trading other kids for what they like. Michelle school lunch was a failure and most schools have gone back to traditional lunches.

It was not a failure except in Wingnuttia where Republicans had apoplexy over the mere thought of the government telling kids what to eat (Michele's program didn't do that). Glad to see you've changed your mind and now think they should not only tell people what they ought to eat, they'll have to set up a packaging and delivery system make sure people are eating what they want them to eat. Watching you people flip-flop with the wind in order to back up Trump is a hilarious thing to see.