Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: tRump Screws Truckers

Message 1 of 15

Bottom line is Truckers got screwed ROYALLY by Don the Con by taking away a $43,000 DEDUCTION and making that amount TAXABLE. Not only that, as noted below, the Company screws them by in effect using THEIR standard pay to cover the cost of their benefits, cutting their takehome. How did that happen? One suggestion: In trucking, about 2 percent of all 3.5 million truck drivers are unionized. Without a strong Union for the workers, the boss can do any dang thing s/he pleases. Perhaps its time to forget about mob connected Jimmy Hoffa Sr and GET THEIR UNION BACK.

As for the rest of the middle class, it you're married with more than 1 kid, your taxes went UP under don the Con, and you may wind up paying a fine for under-withholding.

Only those making over $250,000 benefitted from this latest Republican Tax Scam, and if they do their own taxes, they'll know this as soon as they file, but lots of folks go to HR Block or somesuch and never bother to see what's really happening, perfering to believe the pathalogical liar who told them he gave THEM a tax cut when it all went to the top 10%, mostly to the Corporate Oligarchs who pocketed $1.4TRILLION and kept it for themselves without a dime going to expand jobs or raise worker pay.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

@AlanP762055 

Yes, thanks for your personal perspective. I have certainly heard other truckers speak about their losses from the trump tax cuts. 

But, of course, according to trump and trump repubs, everything is just fine in Mudville...they just can’t admit that their mighty “casey” keeps striking out, over, and over, and over...

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

@AlanP762055 wrote:

I am a company truck driver and I can say for certain that my taxes went up this past year even though I made a liitle less than the year before. The deduction for travel expenses was eliminated - except for independant drivers because they are business owners. However, we company drivers who go on the road still have all the expenses we always had. We eat on the road every day we're away from home, everything costs more on the road as we usually can't pull into a pharmacy,grocery or dollar store when we need something. We sometimess pay for showers or hotels with no reimbursement from the company, my company gives us nothing for this or meals or any other expense. They even "borrrow" money from us to pay for tolls and other things - then we have to jump through paperwork hoops to get it back -and they are a billion + $$$$ Co, 

Then the company offers us a fake "per diem" pay package, Here's how it works - per diem is supposed to mean one of two things, either a rate for a days work OR more commonly - an EXTRA daily pay to cover travel expenses for employees who, as a condition of their job must travel away from home. BUT what they actually do is take part of OUR pay from us, then they DEDUCT a fee for "book keeping" then they "give" us the rest back pre-tax. So what this means is your social security and your worker's comp and your credit rating and your disability benifits go down. and they don't discuss this with drivers - they just tell you your weeekly check will be bigger. This is the kind of worker screw over- SCAM  that the new republican party and Trump are pushing ( I'm an old time republican by the way ). 

Now I can add that Trump gave himself a multi million dollar raise - in the form of tax cuts and I can say it's $ 63,000,000. and no one can dispute that - Why ? because he's still waiting for that tax audit to be done so he can release his taxes, because he always keeps his word.

Thank you for your contribution to this topic and forum, Alan.  Your perspective is important!!!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

@GailL1 wrote:

@Olderscout66 

Truckers did not get screwed - they still got the deduction even if they worked for a company - as long as ALL of their itemized deductions were higher than the standard deduction which was raised substantially by the TCJA.

If they are self employed - owner/operator - nothing changed - they still do the same thing on their Sche. C.

Are you kidding????  Have you ever spoken to an over-the-road driver, independent or otherwise?  It's one of the reasons there is an extreme shortage of drivers today.  We may need a general truckers strike to get wholesale changes.......meanwhile, trump and his supporters continue to lie to the electorate claiming the tax-cut was a middle-class tax cut.  Remember:

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

I am a company truck driver and I can say for certain that my taxes went up this past year even though I made a liitle less than the year before. The deduction for travel expenses was eliminated - except for independant drivers because they are business owners. However, we company drivers who go on the road still have all the expenses we always had. We eat on the road every day we're away from home, everything costs more on the road as we usually can't pull into a pharmacy,grocery or dollar store when we need something. We sometimess pay for showers or hotels with no reimbursement from the company, my company gives us nothing for this or meals or any other expense. They even "borrrow" money from us to pay for tolls and other things - then we have to jump through paperwork hoops to get it back -and they are a billion + $$$$ Co, 

Then the company offers us a fake "per diem" pay package, Here's how it works - per diem is supposed to mean one of two things, either a rate for a days work OR more commonly - an EXTRA daily pay to cover travel expenses for employees who, as a condition of their job must travel away from home. BUT what they actually do is take part of OUR pay from us, then they DEDUCT a fee for "book keeping" then they "give" us the rest back pre-tax. So what this means is your social security and your worker's comp and your credit rating and your disability benifits go down. and they don't discuss this with drivers - they just tell you your weeekly check will be bigger. This is the kind of worker screw over- SCAM  that the new republican party and Trump are pushing ( I'm an old time republican by the way ). 

Now I can add that Trump gave himself a multi million dollar raise - in the form of tax cuts and I can say it's $ 63,000,000. and no one can dispute that - Why ? because he's still waiting for that tax audit to be done so he can release his taxes, because he always keeps his word.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

@GailL1 wrote:

@Olderscout66 

Truckers did not get screwed - they still got the deduction even if they worked for a company - as long as ALL of their itemized deductions were higher than the standard deduction which was raised substantially by the TCJA.

If they are self employed - owner/operator - nothing changed - they still do the same thing on their Sche. C.

Nice try to make it look like there was a middle class tRump taxcut vs taxscam that screwed Truckers and others without children who travel more than 85 days per year for their jobs.

Workers LOST the PERSONAL exemption of $4050/dependant or $16,200 for a family of 4, which is $4,200 MORE than they can deduct with WUSSolini's higher Standard Deduction of $24,000 - up from $12,000

Workers ALSO LOST their ability to deduct up to $144/day for lodging ($91) and meals and misc ($55). Since long-haul truckers spend around 300 days on the road each year, lil donny SCREWED them out of $43,200 in deductions which last time I checked was somewhat more than the ToadPOTUS added for the Standard Deduction, which was actually an DECREASE in deductions for marrieds with children.

Perhaps some truckers or retired truckers aand frequent travelers can add to the discussion about how lil donny Bonespurs is supporting their industry (but if you do, please include actual numbers and not FoxTripe platitudes)

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

Pittsburgh plant workers just revealed they had to go to Trump’s rally or go without pay.

That is another way that donald skrews workers.    Attendance having nothing to do with their actual job or loose pay.    https://washingtonpress.com/2019/08/16/pittsburgh-plant-workers-just-revealed-they-had-to-go-to-trum...

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

@Olderscout66 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

@gruffstuff wrote:

: tRump Screws Truckers

Republicans claim you don't have to pay for tax cuts for billionaires.

Why is is every time we give tax cuts to billionaires everyone except billionaires have to pay more in taxes and receive less in social benefits? 

Republicans lied .... All other Americans end up paying for the tax cuts given to billionaires and millionaires.

Their trickle down theory is a fraud ..... the money goes up to the wealthy .... and stays there!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

: tRump Screws Truckers

Republicans claim you don't have to pay for tax cuts for billionaires.

Why is is every time we give tax cuts to billionaires everyone except billionaires have to pay more in taxes and receive less in social benefits? 

Kudos
Views