Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: re; mass shootings

Message 1 of 23

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Just a whiff of reality: "assault weapons" if outlawed become just like narcotics in this country, illegal, expensive, and available!

Available?  From where? 

From other countries just like narcotics.

And that was already stated (below) by the poster you addressed NOTHAPPENING ....  rendering your comment repetitive.

There will be no gun stores selling them so they will have to be smuggled in like narcotics. Now, the markup on narcotics (see link) is 6,427%  and the current "legal" price of an AK-47 is less than $700 (see link) so a bit of math tells us that an AK-47 after a ban would be $44,989.00.

Tell the crooks that.  Everything is available for ther right price.

Another repetitive comment NOTHAPPENING as that was already stated (above) by the poster you addressed .... 

Plus, you have the problem of a serial number on every weapon and really good inventory controls at every gun manufacturer.

Again, you are talking about this country.  This country won't be selling these type of weapons.  They will come unmarked from other countries.

And that's another reason why gun stores would not sell them .... as implied by the poster you are addressing!

The left isn't that naive, is it?

Nope ..... but obviously the right should fully read and understand posts before replying to them!

Makes things much easier to trace and, unlike drug labs, gun manufacturers have websites with addresses. 

Are you for real?

An insulting personal attack!

I earlier said that an AK-47 went for $10K in Australia. I was incorrect (see link). The cost is over $15K.  Certainly assault style weapons will be available after a ban but some pencil dick, Trump loving, White Supremacist from a backwater town in Texas won't be able to put one on his Visa. 

That white supremacist would be a Democrat for sure!!

"For sure" that's wrong again NOTHAPPENING!

White Supremacists are a member of the Republican AltRight and loyal Trump supporters .... and Trump supports them as well referring to White Supremacists as "fine people"!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 23

A buy back program for the assault style weapons and also the magazines that hold military issue number of shells???  Idk, I respect those who have a regular long gun or a hand gun for their own personal safety in/on their property, but in my opinion it should not be out in public. Public weapons should be for police and military, imo.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: mass shootings

Message 3 of 23

@TracyofCotuit wrote:

I have a good friend whose home is full of guns, and it terrifies me, and he knows it. I won't even go into his home.

He is about to retire in the next year or so and because he is a gun collector, he looks forward to buying more guns. He is a collector...

The people who love to collect guns just to have them, I liken to people who like to collect rare coins etc.; they like having them, looking at them, cleaning them, feeling them and knowing their history. To these people the history of each gun is interesting and important. These people sacrifice in order to add a particular gun to their collection. 

These are not the people who buy guns that can literally spray down people in under 5 seconds. 

Perhaps, but they ARE the people who make it possible for criminals to obtain military grade firearms with less hassle than one encounters switching cable providers.

The problem isn't guns, its semi-automatic guns with high (more than 8) capacity magazines or clips. I use 8 rounds as a max because that is the capacity of my M1 Garand, a gun Gen Patton named as the biggest factor in the allied victory in Europe. If it's deadly enough to take out the Wehrmacht, it satisfies all possible legitimate qualities for killing.

All the semi-auto guns out there can be modified to remove that semi-auto capability with no change in the appearance of the weapon, so collectors would not be effected. Likewise clips and magazines can be altered to accept only 8 rounds with no change to the appearance of the weapon.

The total BullFeathers lie "the only way to sto pa bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" is so ignorant I cannot believe anybody repeats it in public thus exposing their stupidity to all present.

IF IT WERE TRUE, WE'E BE THE SAFEST DEMOCRACY ON THE PLANET!

It's a LIE, and we MURDER eachother with guns at a rate of 4.46/100,000 population, compared to Canada with 0.62/100k, Bulgaria at 0.34/100k and France's 0.21/100k

Also, we have 120.5 guns FOR EVERY 100 INHABITANTS, the second most heavely armed citizenry seems to be Serbia with 37.8.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 23

@TracyofCotuit wrote:

I have a good friend whose home is full of guns, and it terrifies me, and he knows it. I won't even go into his home.

He is about to retire in the next year or so and because he is a gun collector, he looks forward to buying more guns. He is a collector...

The people who love to collect guns just to have them, I liken to people who like to collect rare coins etc.; they like having them, looking at them, cleaning them, feeling them and knowing their history. To these people the history of each gun is interesting and important. These people sacrifice in order to add a particular gun to their collection. 

These are not the people who buy guns that can literally spray down people in under 5 seconds. 

No. it is the guy who finds out they exist and steals every one of them to pass out to his friends, neighbors, and other buyers.  THAT is the guy I worry about. 

All well and good that he is a 'collector'.  310 Americans get shot every day to support his hobby.  Maybe he could take up model trains?

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 23

Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 23

I find it interesting that some responses in this thread seemingly are disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing.  Just like the president.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 23

Yes we have a gun problem in the US, and most people want it solved, and it has not been solved, but only gotten worse. We hear a lot of useful comments and suggestions in here. We also hear ones that make no sense and they come from the far right. This problem has been growing for years. You saw signs of it after President Regan was shot. It was a tough fight to get the Brady Bill passed. Now what has been the biggest change in Politics in our country since then. The far right rise to power, and as that happened it has become impossible to solve the gun problem due to the far right. We now have a Far Right President, and an all far right Reb. party so ofcourse nothing will be done no matter how hard we try. There is a way to start to solve the gun problem. Just vote the far right out of Office. That means we start with Trump, and then everyone with an R behind their name. We will then see the problem start to be solved. There is no other way so like it or not you have the answer now use it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 23

@EdM965653 

Just to add my thanks for an excellent post. 

Some here seem to feel that we have no problems with assault weapons, and offer no solutions. 

But the fact is that we have problems concerning assault weapons, and we need and are proposing solutions. 

Are trump, repubs, and the nra offering any real solutions...haven’t seen any yet...after so many years!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 23

Automatic weapons are not the problem; semi-automatic weapons are, and they are largely unregulated. Semi-automatic weapons are the common denominator in all mass shootings. That includes long rifles, shot guns, and hand guns.

All semi-automatic weapons were a slight downgrade of the automatic weapons used by the military so that they would not be fully automatic, but nothing was done to limit the magazine capacity. It was done because gun manufacturers wanted to sell those weapons to the general public. The NRA pushed for it and lobbied on behalf of the gun manufacturers. They still do. Follow the $$$$$$. Even I know that and I am certainly no expert on guns. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 23

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Just a whiff of reality: "assault weapons" if outlawed become just like narcotics in this country, illegal, expensive, and available!

Available?  From where? 

From other countries just like narcotics.

There will be no gun stores selling them so they will have to be smuggled in like narcotics. Now, the markup on narcotics (see link) is 6,427%  and the current "legal" price of an AK-47 is less than $700 (see link) so a bit of math tells us that an AK-47 after a ban would be $44,989.00.

Tell the crooks that.  Everything is available for ther right price.

Plus, you have the problem of a serial number on every weapon and really good inventory controls at every gun manufacturer.

Again, you are talking about this country.  This country won't be selling these type of weapons.  They will come unmarked from other countries.  The left isn't that naive, is it?

Makes things much easier to trace and, unlike drug labs, gun manufacturers have websites with addresses. 

Are you for real?

I earlier said that an AK-47 went for $10K in Australia. I was incorrect (see link). The cost is over $15K.  Certainly assault style weapons will be available after a ban but some pencil dick, Trump loving, White Supremacist from a backwater town in Texas won't be able to put one on his Visa. 

That white supremacist would be a Democrat for sure!!

Kudos
Views