Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

"We ARE the Problem"

WE ARE THE PROBLEM .

 

I write this with tears in my eyes and I hope you all hear our hearts. I have read these quotes and scripture 1000 times and every time I read it and the words sink into my heart. I think yes this is what it’s all about...Only until the last few days, until we experienced the death threats we experienced the hate… Did I realize that these words were speaking directly to us.. how could anyone who knows us or has had interactions with us think that Drew or I have a racist bone in our body? But that’s the whole point .

 

Somehow we as white America, we can feel good about not being racist, feel good about loving one another as God loves us. We can feel good about educating our children about the horrors of slavery and history. We can read books to our children about Martin Luther King, Malcolm X., Hank Aaron, Barack Obama, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman.. and feel like we are doing our part to raise our children to love, be unbiased and with no prejudice. To teach them about all of the African Americans that have fought for and risked their lives against racial injustice. Somehow as white Americans, we feel like that checks the box of doing the right thing.

 

Not until this week did Drew and I realize THAT THIS IS THE PROBLEM. To say “I don’t agree with disrespecting the flag “.. I now understand was also saying I don’t understand what the problem really is, I don’t understand what you’re fighting for, and I’m not willing to hear you because of our preconceived notions of what that flag means to us. That’s the problem we are not listening, white America is not hearing.

 

We’re not actively LOOKING for racial prejudice. We have heard stories from men and women we have known and loved for years about the racism that occurred in their lives .. stories that were never shared or talked about because somehow they were considered normal. To all of our friends and anyone we hurt ...we will do better.. We want to do better, we want to HEAR you, and we will fight for you because thinking we are not part of the problem...is checking the box it means we are are not doing enough. It’s our job to educate ourselves. We are sorry 🙏🏻 -Brittany Brees

 

"We Are The Problem" 

 

Best of luck to you Drew and Brittany.  Sorry to say "some" think this is only being said because Drew signed a new contract 3 months ago.  I know, I know....some still don't "get it".  "Who Dat?"

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


INDEED!

 

As Mrs. Bree's said:

 

Somehow we as white America, we can feel good about not being racist, feel good about loving one another as God loves us. We can feel good about educating our children about the horrors of slavery and history. We can read books to our children about Martin Luther King, Malcolm X., Hank Aaron, Barack Obama, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman.. and feel like we are doing our part to raise our children to love, be unbiased and with no prejudice. To teach them about all of the African Americans that have fought for and risked their lives against racial injustice. Somehow as white Americans, we feel like that checks the box of doing the right thing.

 

Not until this week did Drew and I realize THAT THIS IS THE PROBLEM. To say “I don’t agree with disrespecting the flag “.. I now understand was also saying I don’t understand what the problem really is, I don’t understand what you’re fighting for, and I’m not willing to hear you because of our preconceived notions of what that flag means to us. That’s the problem we are not listening, white America is not hearing.

 

We’re not actively LOOKING for racial prejudice. We have heard stories from men and women we have known and loved for years about the racism that occurred in their lives .. stories that were never shared or talked about because somehow they were considered normal. To all of our friends and anyone we hurt ...we will do better..


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
379 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Roxanne:   here is a first step.   Find the podcast by Jonathan Capehart.   Here is the link:   The author of White Fragility is a white woman.  https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL3BvZGNhc3QucG9zdHR2LmNvbS9pdHVuZXMtNTdhY2UwNTBlNGIwZGNmZGU...

 

How to become aware!

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

We are all on different legs of our journey to be anti-racist.   Some are more advanced than others.  Maybe this opened their eyes and they can continue to educate themselves. 

Honored Social Butterfly


@ManicProgressive wrote:

We are all on different legs of our journey to be anti-racist.   Some are more advanced than others.  Maybe this opened their eyes and they can continue to educate themselves. 


My "thoughts and prayers" are with them....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

So what can YOU do to not be part of the problem?

 

As an astute member of this forum posted, you can support black-owned businesses...shucks, you might even find food you'll enjoy....

 

You can search your locale in your favorite metropolitan area and find places to support and patronage.  Like here in the Twin Cities...

 

Where to Support Black-Owned Businesses in the Twin Cities

 

Some of the categories include..... 

 

Food

 

Restaurants

Specialty

 

Bars, Breweries, and Distilleries

 

Bakeries and Coffeeshops

 

Salons, Spas, and Barbershops Retail

 

Clothes and accessories 

 

Miscellaneous

 

Wellness

 

Fitness

 

Health

 

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010  Everything that you say makes a lot of sense, but  when was the last time that you lived in the South?

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Centristsin2010  Everything that you say makes a lot of sense, but  when was the last time that you lived in the South?


I have property in South Carolina now.....and support black-owned businesses several times a week.  In fact, when I lived in Richmond VA, just off the property where the VA Hospital exists, I lived in an all-black community and my roomie and I were the only whites in the community.  Your point?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 There are black communities in all the South, but, they are not represented in white subdivisions or neighborhoods. When you don't live  in a metropolitan area you don't get to  have the opportunity to  support black businesses. I live right out of NAS and I can tell you that many in that base are not white and live where I live. but that doesn't make it a fact as having business owned by blacks.
Sometimes is not easy to  do certain things that we could do if there was the availability.    

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

No one said addressing racism was going to be easy, Roxanne.  Did they?  It takes effort, as you well know.  It takes NO effort to want to do something.  Try an internet search in your community....let us know what you come up with.

 

"It's hard" is white whine....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

No one said addressing racism was going to be easy, Roxanne. Did they? It takes effort, as you well know. It takes NO effort to want to do something. Try an internet search in your community....let us know what you come up with.

"It's hard" is white whine....

 

 

Not having any ideas as to what are my limitations is easy to criticize.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

No one said addressing racism was going to be easy, Roxanne. Did they? It takes effort, as you well know. It takes NO effort to want to do something. Try an internet search in your community....let us know what you come up with.

"It's hard" is white whine....

 

 

Not having any ideas as to what are my limitations is easy to criticize.

LOL!  That's funny.  Were you criticized?

BTW, it's not my responsibility to know your limitations.  You asked a question; I was kind enough to respond.

Gratitude-is.jpg

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

It seems that anything that I have to say , you always find

 a negative thing to say. so. I will retreat and simply avoid your posts Have done that before and I guess that I have to do so again.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

So, you couldn't/wouldn't answer the simple question.  That's OK.

 

It seems that anything that I have to say , you always find a negative thing to say. 

 

ALWAYS.....LOL!  And yet, out of all the active posters on this forum, I have given you the 2nd most kudo's of anyone. Can you explain that and how it relates to "always"?  So forgive me for being objective...

 

so. I will retreat and simply avoid your posts Have done that before and I guess that I have to do so again.  I guess you do if you can't handle disagreement and prefer to make false accusations that you are unable to defend.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
328 Views
8
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010  I guess that I am the problem


haha1.jpg

 

no name
0 Kudos
445 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Centristsin2010  I guess that I am the problem.


I guess so...just think how much time was wasted focusing needlessly on a hyphen...



"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
421 Views
6
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010  Just because you only see the black injustice  There are  other injustices that have been done to other minorities, And I am one of them, therefore, I will choose what minority I  am going to support.  By the way, the Latino minority contains people of all races.  therefore, I don't   have to    hunt and peck where  the places that I have to support. 
Again, the ethonocentricity of  this culture.  makes  this society blind as to what is the real problem of endemic racism in the US And long as any minority is seen differently because of the use of hyphens  the  US will never ever end their racists views.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Centristsin2010  Just because you only see the black injustice....LOL.  Too funny!  Just because you want to manufacture an issue against another, doesn't mean it actually exists.  There are  other injustices that have been done to other minorities, No kidding!  And I see you've created MANY topics supporting those "other minorities".  And I am one of them, Great!  therefore, I will choose what minority I  am going to support.  Why not support all humans and EQUAL JUSTICE and not just the minorities you want to support?

 

Why not support them all By the way, You are the one who said they were only going to support who they wanted to support.  the Latino minority contains people of all races.  therefore, I don't   have to    hunt and peck where  the places that I have to support.  No, but you did say, "I will choose what minority I  am going to support."


Again, the ethonocentricity of  this culture.  makes  this society blind as to what is the real problem of endemic racism in the US And long as any minority is seen differently because of the use of hyphens  the  US will never ever end their racists views.  The hyphen didn't get George Floyd killed; or Ahmaud Arbery; or Vison Ramos; or Breonna Taylor; or Travon Martin; or Michael Brown; or Pedro Villanueva; or Melissa Ventura.  IMO, you're focusing on a very superficial issue, the hyphen which has nothing to do with racism.  Because if it did, those using the hyphen to discribe their heritage, wouldn't do so.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
343 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 I fail to understand your  continous  arguing with me. I am a minority a Hispanic  minority, we as Hispanics in this country  are of  all races. not just blacks. therefore I will support my own minority as it is my right. 
You have the right to believe whatever you   wish, and I have the right to do  the same. don't continue to waste your time on me. 
There are many important issues that you can spe4ak about that will serve this community well. waste your time on that.

no name
0 Kudos
327 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 I fail to understand your  continous  arguing with me. I fail to understand your false claims that I'm arguing with you.  I am a minority a Hispanic  minority, we as Hispanics in this country  are of  all races. not just blacks. So?  What's your point?  therefore I will support my own minority as it is my right. I don't believe anyone suggested you couldn't/shouldn't support any minority....did they?
You have the right to believe whatever you   wish, Thank you!  and I have the right to do  the same. Your point?  don't continue to waste your time on me. LOL.


There are many important issues that you can spe4ak about that will serve this community well. waste your time on that.  Now that I have your permission, I'll get right on it.



"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
306 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010  In response to your post. and your continuous posts to my posts.

goodlol.jpg

no name
0 Kudos
301 Views
0
Report
Retired Moderator

Hi all,

This thread is starting to get off-topic. While you may have different opinions, please remember to be respectful of one another as our guidelines state: This is a diverse community of people with diverse opinions. It is up to each of us to be polite and treat each other with respect.

You can read the full guidelines here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Thanks and happy posting!

0 Kudos
381 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, evolution is a long, pain-staking process...  Some need to brush off their knuckles a little more quickly for humankind's sake...

 

America just got "woke"....no snooze alarm allowed.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Emotional growth is a positive, regardless of one's age.  It's never too late!


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@AzRancher 

 

AZ, I had a hunch you might be a sports fan, I could be wrong, I often am, but I thought this might be insightful...

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png