Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "That's how dictators get started,"

Message 1 of 7

Mimi0000-most informed Americand should be  saying-"well duh!"   McCain was being  diplomatic,  certainly he thinks  Trump is a dictator,   Or he wouldn't have  referenced dictators in the first place. 

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

The people who voted for Trump and the people who didn't vote for anyone at all, were  the problem. NOW the problem is the Congressman  and Senators in power who refuse to admit that Trump is the mentally ill psycopath that he is.

We've been talking about trump going down the path of the dictator almost since he was elected .   I'm not really surprised it was John McCain who came out and finally said it, I may not always agree with his ideas, but I do know that he puts country above self and party.   The others know,  they just don't have the backbone to do anything about it.   ( McCain allowed himself to be held in captivity during the Vietnam war, refusing to give up information or fellow soldiers), yet it seems  that the majority of Republican  representatives are afraid to give up the truth about the idiot in charge and to do something about  the most historically unqualified president in the history of America, putting country before self. Let's just hope in the coming weeks,  they grow a backbone.

One thing that I was made aware of yesterday was that the Republicans are very good at framing arguments that catch peoples attention, like no Child left behind, which left a lot of children behind but sounded really good.  Democrats are better at providing the facts rather than the catchy phrases. The Republican base then,  for the most part,  blindly follows. That explains why Republicans spew Rhetoric, Junk press,  but have a little knowledge of the real facts. Dems need to get better at framing the question and then following through with the facts.  Dems need to never forget WHAT is in office and to never let this happen again.

The fact that he has the lowest favorability rating for a new president than any president in history, or at least in recent history, should tell any Republicans the same. 

Right now we as private citizens have to continue to make sure our voices are heard. look at the map of all the Townhall meetings all over the country,  go to one, don't be afraid to let your concerns be known. This is our weapon. trumps trying, but he hasn't taken away our right to free speech yet.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

The Republican's are always working on Voter Suppression , but now enter the Media Suppression field.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

@mimi0000 wrote:
Trump twittered this about McCain.
"He's been losing so long he doesn't know how to win anymore, just look at the mess our country is in — bogged down in conflict all over the place."

Trump blames McCain, he always blames someone. Trump was part of the problem, lobbying $$millions$$.  Laws for sale, now Trump hopes to manipulate things so that his debt to Putin/Russia will be settled.

Wake up America !!!!

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

@mimi0000 wrote:

John McCain said: 

"That's how dictators get started," he added later. "They get started by suppressing free press, in other words, a consolidation of power."

"I am not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I am just saying we need to learn the lessons of history," he said, warning about any attempts to "shut down" the press.

I have never been a lover of McCain, especially when he picked that Sarah "Hairbrained" Palin as a running mate but there are two things I will always give that man.

Number one- He wasn't/isn't a loser; he is, in fact, a hero who has served his country throughout his life. He gave up some of his physical abilities for this country and he has certainly gave his time.

Number Two- He is an honorable man. He recognizes from where Trump is generating support and recognizes history and its perspective as to what is happening now. He isn't afraid to talk about it. He also recognizes that a free press, even though he himself is at odds with it from time to time, is necessary for a free society.

This piece of FECAL MATTER that is now the President of The United States is dangerous to our freedoms, is dangerous to our allies, is dangerous to the rights of minorities, women, and immigrants, is dangerous to the American way of life.

I see McCain as a voice of reason in the Republican Party.... people better start listening to him.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7
Trump twittered this about McCain.
"He's been losing so long he doesn't know how to win anymore, just look at the mess our country is in — bogged down in conflict all over the place."
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

"That's how dictators get started,"

Message 7 of 7

John McCain said: 

"That's how dictators get started," he added later. "They get started by suppressing free press, in other words, a consolidation of power."

"I am not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I am just saying we need to learn the lessons of history," he said, warning about any attempts to "shut down" the press.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors