Medicare open enrollment begins Tuesday! Visit the AARP Medicare Resource Center for the information you need to make your best choices.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: "Target Practice"

Message 1 of 12

I don't care who you are: Republican, Democrat, Independent, Gun Rights Supporter, Gun Control Proponent - this ad placed by the NRA in American Rifeman is wrong. It's implying that the Speaker of the House should be shot and/or killed. Not a word about this from the President, or from Repubicans. I am ashamed of what is happeneing to our country. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@alferdpackerwrote IP: Ever since it became widely known that both trump and the NRA had received not inconsiderable amounts of "under the table" and carefully disguised Russian, Ukrainian and other foreign donations/funding/money to purchase a Reb-publican - likenesses of trump and numerous NRA officials, board members, and Reb-publicans have been showing up at some of the shooting ranges I use with multiple holes shot in them.

Do you suppose it will ever dawn on the GOPerLords that at least half of the people they use the  NRA to arm with military grade weapons do NOT agree with their massive redistribution of income and wealth from the middle to the very top?  Or, since they only see the lofo half of this population at the rallies for Der Trumper, do they think there is no "other half" that can actually work simple math problems and KNOWS what they've been doing for the last 38 years?

The mid term election was a hint - a clue - that they will not "get" and will - in  full throttle cognitive dissonance - lie to themselves about - allowing them to believe their rationalizations, which will allow them to continue to be unwitting puppets of trump and Putin.

Stupid Is As Stupid Does...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

conservatives, reb-publicans and assorted whack-jobs most recently self-identified as trump voters and trump supporters have - all the way back to the Goldwater and Nixon years - had considerable trouble being able to consistently remember which is top and which is bottom.

It's that perceptual shortcoming that was responsible for grievously delusional and unhinged right wingers voting for Dubya, Romney, and trump...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 1

This headline emblazoned next to the Democratic women pictured here is both a lightly vailed threat and an a witting encouragement/call to the latest nutjob out there who wants to make a name for himself while "doing his part" for the RW conservative cause.  Dangerous and irresponsible. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@alferdpackerwrote IP: Ever since it became widely known that both trump and the NRA had received not inconsiderable amounts of "under the table" and carefully disguised Russian, Ukrainian and other foreign donations/funding/money to purchase a Reb-publican - likenesses of trump and numerous NRA officials, board members, and Reb-publicans have been showing up at some of the shooting ranges I use with multiple holes shot in them.

Do you suppose it will ever dawn on the GOPerLords that at least half of the people they use the  NRA to arm with military grade weapons do NOT agree with their massive redistribution of income and wealth from the middle to the very top?  Or, since they only see the lofo half of this population at the rallies for Der Trumper, do they think there is no "other half" that can actually work simple math problems and KNOWS what they've been doing for the last 38 years?

You always confuse bottom with top and top with bottom. I wouldn't worry too much about simple math until you get these simple terms understood.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

@alferdpacker wrote IP: Ever since it became widely known that both trump and the NRA had received not inconsiderable amounts of "under the table" and carefully disguised Russian, Ukrainian and other foreign donations/funding/money to purchase a Reb-publican - likenesses of trump and numerous NRA officials, board members, and Reb-publicans have been showing up at some of the shooting ranges I use with multiple holes shot in them.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

Again, I say in my opinion, these are very dangerous times!!!  The "precedence" that has been set brings us to a very dividing times.  Concealed weapons in all the public areas that are allowed, the stand your ground ruling, military grade weapons are now acceptable for personal use and on and on and on.  They will never turn back to a time where one feels safe.  So much for the knee jerk reaction of the terrible tragedy of the 9/11 terrorism.  I can't help but ponder, what lessons did we learn from that???  It was not the first time our country was under attack. Let us remember all those taken in the Pearl Harbor attack, no?

@alferdpacker wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

https://www.newsweek.com/nra-magazine-target-practice-nancy-pelosi-gabby-giffords-1341692

NRA PUBLISHED 'TARGET PRACTICE' MAGAZINE HEADLINE NEXT TO PICTURE OF NANCY PELOSI, GABBY GIFFORDS

The National Rifle Association is facing scrutiny over publishing a magazine spread that depicts House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and former Rep. Gabby Giffords, a victim of gun violence, next to a large headline that reads "Target Practice.”

Lawmakers and advocates decried the American Rifleman layout as offensive on Saturday afternoon after Huffington Post reporter Jennifer Bendery shared pictures of the magazine on Twitter. From there, it went viral and was circulated to other lawmakers and Pelosi’s daughter.

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 1

“We must condemn this intentional, outrageous criminal incitement,” Christine Pelosi tweeted Saturday. “We cannot allow this hate speech to stop common-sense gun violence prevention.”

Rep. Eric Swalwell of California also condemned the magazine spread and characterized it as a “call for violence." He urged his followers to boycott the NRA, which publishes American Rifleman.

"The NRA should face legal consequences," he tweeted. "But let’s put them out of business with boycotts and ballot boxes. #EnoughIsEnough." 

Fred Guttenberg, who became an advocate for gun control after his daughter Jaime was killed at the Parkland, Florida, school shooting, echoed his concerns. He told Newsweek that the picture ultimately "reinforces the notion that they are a terror group." 

The NRA did not immediately return Newsweek's request for comment.

The magazine spread, which appears in the March 2019 print and online edition, features an article about congressional efforts to increase gun legislation. Chris Cox, the executive director of the NRA’s lobbying branch, wrote the piece and identified Pelosi as the “arch anti-gunner.” The cover of the magazine, meanwhile, features what appears to be a FN 15, a semi-automatic firearm modeled after the M16A4 used by the U.S. military next to the words “In Defense of the Rifle.” Advertising materials boast that the weapon is “directly from the front lines to your collection.”

Both Pelosi and Giffords have been targeted for their political work. In 2011, Giffords was shot in the head in a failed assassination attempt in Arizona during a meeting with community members. She survived the attack and went on to found Americans for Responsible Solutions, a super pac that supports gun control initiatives. The group rebranded as “Giffords” in 2016.

Pelosi, meanwhile, has faced numerous threats, including one earlier this month from Christopher Paul Hasson, a self-proclaimed “white nationalist” who federal prosecutors say was plotting an attack on Democratic lawmakers. He was arrested earlier this month in Maryland, where investigators claim he had been stockpiling firearms to use in the alleged attack.

This latest incident is hardly the first time the NRA has faced criticism for its media content, which includes the magazine and NRA-TV. Several advertisements, particularly those produced in the wake of the Parkland, Florida, massacre in February 2018, were labeled as offensive and inflammatory by opponents.

Comments:

Republicans and putting cross hairs on Gabby Giffords AGAIN ?  There is no doubt in my mind this was no accident or oversight.

That practice goes both ways...

I used likenesses of Dubya and Cheney for target practice In the early and middle 2000's...

Various and assorted RWNJs called law enforcement when they saw me using likenesses of Dubya and Cheney as targets - but - there's no law in this country against using a likeness of a pol or any other execrable lying RW dirtbag  like Hannity, for instance, as a target to practice one's shooting skills and retain acceptable accuracy... 

Ever since it became widely known that both trump and the NRA had received not inconsiderable amounts of "under the table" and carefully disguised Russian, Ukrainian and other foreign donations/funding/money to purchase a Reb-publican - likenesses of trump and numerous NRA officials, board members, and Reb-publicans have been showing up at some of the shooting ranges I use with multiple holes shot in them.

Of course, I don't leave the used targets hanging on target frames - that would be poor housekeeping - I usually tape them to the outside of trash barrels where they will be seen...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

The use of Gabby Giffords is especially vile. It’s a call to action for the crazies. And every sentient human being should know that. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

@afisher wrote:

It is one thing to print a picture of someone you dislike and use it for target practice.   It is quite another thing for a national organization to push killing specific people in their magazine.   Perhaps that company should loose its tax exempt status based on this.

RW and Donald will say nothing , based on their recent non-attention when it came to denouncing a US Terrorist plan who happened to be a WASP / military guy. 

I don't disagree with the concept of saying what Teddy Roosevelt said about Native Americans in a speech in New York in 1886 - about current NRA members and trump cultists - they represent a clear and present danger to the nation's well-being and survival...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

It is one thing to print a picture of someone you dislike and use it for target practice.   It is quite another thing for a national organization to push killing specific people in their magazine.   Perhaps that company should loose its tax exempt status based on this.

RW and Donald will say nothing , based on their recent non-attention when it came to denouncing a US Terrorist plan who happened to be a WASP / military guy. 

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors