Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "Marshall Plan" for Central America

Message 21 of 42

@Olderscout66 wrote:

And to pay for it without raising taxes on anyone earning less than $250,000, all we need to do is restore the tax code we had from 1936 until 1964! Or we could just repeal the Reagan Taxscam, and take a few years longer to complete the rebuilding of the Americas and still cause no tax increases for those earning less than $250,000.

Other things we could afford would be to replace all the coal-fired power plants with a fail-safe Nuclear reactors to replace the coal furnace, charge customers the same rate as they were paying with the coal and use that revenue to "bury" our high voltage transmittion lines, ending the problem they create with forest fires and protecting them from storm damage and their customers from winter power loses.

We could afford to "electrify" our existing rail lines, and build new high speed (120mph+) lines to cut the use of trucks for transporting goods by half, and eliminate the need for aircraft making flights less than 300 miles.

Best of all, we would remove the ability of the dividers of profit to keep it all for themselves and greatly encourage them to go back to sharing it with the workers like they did for the 42 years prior to the Reaganscam.

Another major problem solved by just having the government take away the property of the accomplished. What a great thing that is - it's the universal fix.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 42

@GailL1 wrote:

There are many places in Central and South America that are doing just fine.  The problem areas, not so much.  Where is the UN?  Mexico is reaping the prosperity rewards of many years of us helping them - They need to become a Safe Third Nation - and have an agreement with us just like we have with Canada, creating a barrier but with NO WALL. 

Where is the Central and South American treaties to help one another?  Do they care about these folks in Guatamala, Honduras, El Salvadore?

I wouldn't be using Mexico as an example. Mexico did prosper after the revolution as they had more economic development and trade. Oil was also a boom that went bust in the 80's. They didn't see any signs of recovery until NAFTA. And while they have somewhere around the 15th largest economy in the world, they rank around 10 to 13 among countries with the most poverty. 

And exactly which countries are doing just fine? Costa Rica? While it is relatively safe and enjoys much tourism, those living in poverty far outnumber middle and upper class. Nicaragua is in trouble - dictatorship. Belize? Nope, travel advisory due to high crime. Belize carries an enormous amount of debt and about 40% of the people live in poverty.  Panama? While the economy has been doing fairly well, it also has a rising debt, and one of the greatest income disparities in the hemisphere. It is relatively safe, but also suffers from high crime and rising violent crime.

The main reason we haven't fixed poverty here is because the education system doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't help that one party views education is the least priority on the budget.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 42

@GailL1 wrote:

@Olderscout66 

But wouldn't those Americans who make less than whatever your cutoff point feel slighted for not being able to participate in such worthwhile goals - all of them, not just this one.

Seems your goal is to even out the income amount (from whatever the source) for everybody - why not just set a number for this income everybody gets and let the government take the rest to do with as the expert think is best.  Much simplier, less paperwork, less collection administration.

That should affect the whole world, not just us, because it would kill the American ingenuity.

Why do GOPers insist on warping reality to conform to their preconceived notions?

RETURNING to a system that worked like a charm for 40+ years WITHOUT whatever you misconstrue as a "cut-off point" will simply END the massive redistribution of income and wealth from the middle to the top hat has occured since the Reagan Taxscam made it possible. NOTHING is being proposed to "even out all income" - seems you've caught rk's infectious obsession with the specture of the far right's imaginary boogie man- creeping communism.

Are you trying to deny such a redistribution has taken place?

Are you claiming it's a GOOD THING and we should simply accept the disappearance of the Middle Class?

Are you saying we must give up doing great things for all Americans?

And restoring the quality of infrastructure our grandparents built and left for us is going to ENHANCE American Ingenuity, or do you propose everyone build their own distribution systems for their new products and ideas?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 42

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

If we cannot solve poverty and violence here in our own country, how can we do it elsewhere?

Presidential hopeful, Julien Castro, isn't suggesting anything new. 

Two different problems with zero connection. We need to make Central and South America more stable both economically and politically or the tide of refugees will simply increase year upon year.  Fortunately, it is solvable at a relatively moderate price tag and with much of the money going to American companies (if we structure it that way). 

American poverty is going to be endemic until we change the idea that the working man is the property of the employer. 

We don't have slaves anymore - people are FREE to change jobs, improve their lot, add new skills, unionize, if they think that would help, become creative and start their own business - this is the same thing that many American did in the 50s, 60s, 70s.  I know, I was one of them.

There are many places in Central and South America that are doing just fine.  The problem areas, not so much.  Where is the UN?  Mexico is reaping the prosperity rewards of many years of us helping them - They need to become a Safe Third Nation - and have an agreement with us just like we have with Canada, creating a barrier but with NO WALL. 

Where is the Central and South American treaties to help one another?  Do they care about these folks in Guatamala, Honduras, El Salvadore?

I can only go by what I read -

U.S. Dept of State - U.S. Strategy for Central America

U.S. Dept of State - United States-Mexico Declaration of Principles on Economic Development and Coop...

It is like I said before - giving directly to these folks would be the only way to send them back with cash because otherwise it will take a very long time to work down to them, if it gets that far - since everybody inbetween has to have a cut.

Our track record of fixing poverty (and violence) here is dismal - Enterprise Zone - ha, ha, ha.

The Guardian - 24 ways to reduce crime in the world’s most violent cities

Ya know, sometimes the locals just have to handle it because doing this from a distance and being outsiders, might not sit too well with the locals.

Gail  like I have said before, there is an organism called EUA  which is supposed to be like the UN globally. that deals with treaties throughout Central, and South America, Mexico and the Caribbeans, Canada and the US

Most of the time when they meet they   meet  they never really do anything that important and I don't even believe that they even exist any longer.

but, You can't change quickly what has been happening especially in Central America. For many years, between the drug cartels, the gangs and the Autocratic, and dictatorships in those countries have completely destroy those countries.
An American intervention at this time would be disastrous. 
Unfortunately many American corporations left  very bitter memories  in many of those countries, Just ask any of them about  United Fruit and you will see how they feel.
I have lived now for too many years in the US to really have an inkling on how those people feel about the uS  now..
Like I have told you before Mexico will not  be very friendly to have many treaties with the US. and as far as helping others, I do believe that they still think that they need the help  that they can get.

So, solutions to the Central America problems, I don't think I have one.            

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 42

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@Olderscout66 

But wouldn't those Americans who make less than whatever your cutoff point feel slighted for not being able to participate in such worthwhile goals - all of them, not just this one.

Seems your goal is to even out the income amount (from whatever the source) for everybody - why not just set a number for this income everybody gets and let the government take the rest to do with as the expert think is best.  Much simplier, less paperwork, less collection administration.

That should affect the whole world, not just us, because it would kill the American ingenuity.

Americans are doing a great job of killing their ingenuity all on their own.  

• Want a superior source of energy? We are bringing back coal.
  • Want a motivated workforce? We are blocking people who risked their lives to get here. 
  • Want an educated workforce? We are making individuals pay for their own education and have a student debt crises. 
  • Want to go to the best schools?  Dad has to pay $2.million. 

Oh, give me a break not excuses.  People in poverty don't have to go to expensive higher education schools to find something that will get them to a better place.  There are tons of occupations that are in demand that don't take tons of money to acquire the skill set.

What education level do you think the people that do things for you and me have?  The HVAC guy, the LPN, the cable guy, the personal care aide, the housekeeper - any of those can be stepping stone professions; depending on the drive of the individuals.

Forbes says that the average student in the Class of 2016 has $37,172 in student loan debt.

In the total scope of things, that isn't very much but it all depends on the worth of such debt.  A self-employed person may get a small business loan to buy a piece of equipment for $ 37,000 - same thing there - the worth of the debt to m=making money. 

But YES, I would like to concentrate more on our American proverty stricken people especially if they live in high crime areas - I want to get the decent families out of there to a better place - better all the way around. 

Again, if we cannot solve our own problems, how can we possibly solve it for those who come here in poverty, seeking asylum - during their yes/no process, how do you think they are surviving?  Working - but do you think that they will accept jobs below market rate because they want to work?

( I didn't say minimum wage - I said market rate)  Of course, they will.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 42

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

If we cannot solve poverty and violence here in our own country, how can we do it elsewhere?

Two different problems with zero connection. We need to make Central and South America more stable both economically and politically or the tide of refugees will simply increase year upon year.  Fortunately, it is solvable at a relatively moderate price tag and with much of the money going to American companies (if we structure it that way). 

American poverty is going to be endemic until we change the idea that the working man is the property of the employer. 

We don't have slaves anymore - people are FREE to change jobs, improve their lot, add new skills, unionize, if they think that would help, become creative and start their own business - this is the same thing that many American did in the 50s, 60s, 70s.  I know, I was one of them.

I can only go by what I read -

U.S. Dept of State - U.S. Strategy for Central America

U.S. Dept of State - United States-Mexico Declaration of Principles on Economic Development and Coop...

It is like I said before - giving directly to these folks would be the only way to send them back with cash because otherwise it will take a very long time to work down to them, if it gets that far - since everybody inbetween has to have a cut.

Our track record of fixing poverty (and violence) here is dismal - Enterprise Zone - ha, ha, ha.

The Guardian - 24 ways to reduce crime in the world’s most violent cities

Ya know, sometimes the locals just have to handle it because doing this from a distance and being outsiders, might not sit too well with the locals.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 42

@GailL1 wrote:

@Olderscout66 

Americans are doing a great job of killing their ingenuity all on their own.  

• Want a superior source of energy? We are bringing back coal.
  • Want a motivated workforce? We are blocking people who risked their lives to get here. 
  • Want an educated workforce? We are making individuals pay for their own education and have a student debt crises. 
  • Want to go to the best schools?  Dad has to pay $2.million. 
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 42

@Olderscout66 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 42

And to pay for it without raising taxes on anyone earning less than $250,000, all we need to do is restore the tax code we had from 1936 until 1964! Or we could just repeal the Reagan Taxscam, and take a few years longer to complete the rebuilding of the Americas and still cause no tax increases for those earning less than $250,000.

Other things we could afford would be to replace all the coal-fired power plants with a fail-safe Nuclear reactors to replace the coal furnace, charge customers the same rate as they were paying with the coal and use that revenue to "bury" our high voltage transmittion lines, ending the problem they create with forest fires and protecting them from storm damage and their customers from winter power loses.

We could afford to "electrify" our existing rail lines, and build new high speed (120mph+) lines to cut the use of trucks for transporting goods by half, and eliminate the need for aircraft making flights less than 300 miles.

Best of all, we would remove the ability of the dividers of profit to keep it all for themselves and greatly encourage them to go back to sharing it with the workers like they did for the 42 years prior to the Reaganscam.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 42

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

The less costly approach would be a thirty foot high wall with electrified concertina wire at the top on our southern border.

The only wall that ever stopped people was the Berlin wall with armed guards close together who had orders to shoot to kill.  It that what you want?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views