Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
513
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

513 Views
Message 21 of 48

@jims730656 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jims730656 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

 

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that.


So if you admit you're a racist then of course you are a racist.  But if you say you're NOT a racist, then you are a racist.  And of course if you say 'all (everybody) lives matter'  you're a racist.  I think I see a flaw in this reasoning.

 

  And when you say 'often', how can you, based on those four words alone, determine if the speaker is a rascist or not?

 

 

More than once, I have said online, on Facebook and other venues that I'm not too interested in hearing 'black OR white lives matter" because I strongly believe that EVERYONE, every human being without exception should always  be treated as completely equal as everyone else.  For THAT I have been called a racist.

 

This blanket kind of reasoning makes no sense to me and I feel it's a serious insult to those people who harbor no prejudice to others of a different race yet are ASSUMED to be racists simply becaue they said they believed they weren't.

Please exaplin this reasoning?


Do you know what "Black Lives Matter" means and why it's relevant?


Of course I know what it means Cool.  That's half the challenge.  It really is an reasonable question and if you understand what it mean's, you'll understand why, IMO.  But, if you know what it means, then shouldn't you know why responding with "White Lives Matter" or "All Lives Matter" is tone deaf? 

 

and, for what it's worth, you might be surprised to know that several Conservative posters here didn't know what the slogan meant.  I would suggest those who may be racist are more likely to be bothered by it. 

 

and the fact that I want fair treatment and total equality for everyone doesn't mean I don't understand and appreciate their situation.  OK.  Not sure anyone suggested otherwise, did they?  In fact, if what I want would happen, everybody would be equal and no one would NEED to carry signs reminding people that their lives matter.  Well, that's noble indeed, but guess what?  Everyone IS equal......now and many feel we still need to carry signs reminding others "Hey, Whitie, we matter just as much as you".

 

And is that all you got from that entire post?  Did you miss the honest and valid question asking how you can tell someone is racist merely because they say they are not on the Internet?  I understand this question wasn't directed to me, but I'll take a stab at it....IMO, you can't tell, but smart folks like yourself can get a pretty good idea by the comments they make over an extended period of time. If you did, I'm asking again becauise I don't buy the claim that everybody is a racist.  Well, you might be surprised.  Maybe not everyone, but a far more than even a smart guy like yourself could imagine.  Consider the fact that there are various degree's of racism, like everything else....it's not you either are or you aren't.

 

Have you ever taken the Harvard implicit test?  It's been posted here probably a half-dozen times or so.....

 

What you may find interesting is that a couple of dozen folks over the years have reported their results here on the forum to share and discuss,  And ALL of them were what most would describe as left of center....not sure what that means, but it is "curious."  If there are any folks who are right of center who posted their results here, my apologies....I must have missed you post.

 

To narrow the point for you, if a man walked up t you with a swastika on his shirt, or was wearing a white robe and pointy hat and said he was not a racist, you would have good reason to question the statement.  But how can you possibly justify thinking someone you don't even know is a racist only because he says so?  These are just words we're using here, written by relative strangers, so not taking anyone at his word without KNOWING that persona is, lets' just say, disingenuous.

 

By the way, thinking "everybody": is racist means that since you are part of 'everybody' then YOU are a racist too,   How does that square with you calling other people racists?  Here's the test if you're interested.....it might answer the question for you.....

 

Harvard Racism Test


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
513
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
512
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

512 Views
Message 22 of 48

You ARE Chasky53, aren't you?

 

YOU said 

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

 

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that."

 

And that was what I responded to.  I used your own words to form my questions, that apparent;y you have no intention of answering.

I wasn't calling BS on YOU..  Only asking civil questions. 

 

Why do people like you seem to want to turn an serious adult discussion into some kind of slap fight when caught by their own words?  Deflection?  Smokescreen?  Misdirection?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
512
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
515
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

515 Views
Message 23 of 48

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jims730656 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

 

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that.


So if you admit you're a racist then of course you are a racist.  But if you say you're NOT a racist, then you are a racist.  And of course if you say 'all (everybody) lives matter'  you're a racist.  I think I see a flaw in this reasoning.

 

  And when you say 'often', how can you, based on those four words alone, determine if the speaker is a rascist or not?

 

 

More than once, I have said online, on Facebook and other venues that I'm not too interested in hearing 'black OR white lives matter" because I strongly believe that EVERYONE, every human being without exception should always  be treated as completely equal as everyone else.  For THAT I have been called a racist.

 

This blanket kind of reasoning makes no sense to me and I feel it's a serious insult to those people who harbor no prejudice to others of a different race yet are ASSUMED to be racists simply becaue they said they believed they weren't.

Please exaplin this reasoning?


Do you know what "Black Lives Matter" means and why it's relevant?


Of course I know what it means and the fact that I want fair treatment and total equality for everyone doesn't mean I don't understand and appreciate their situation.  In fact, if what I want would happen, everybody would be equal and no one would NEED to carry signs reminding people that their lives matter.

 

And is that all you got from that entire post?  Did you miss the honest and valid question asking how you can tell someone is racist merely because they say they are not on the Internet?  If you did, I'm asking again becauise I don't buy the claim that everybody is a racist.

 

To narrow the point for you, if a man walked up t you with a swastika on his shirt, or was wearing a white robe and pointy hat and said he was not a racist, you would have good reason to question the statement.  But how can you possibly justify thinking someone you don't even know is a racist only because he says so?  These are just words we're using here, written by relative strangers, so not taking anyone at his word without KNOWING that persona is, lets' just say, disingenuous.

 

By the way, thinking "everybody": is racist means that since you are part of 'everybody' then YOU are a racist too,   How does that square with you calling other people racists?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
515
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
516
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

516 Views
Message 24 of 48

@jims730656 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

 

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that.


So if you admit you're a racist then of course you are a racist.  But if you say you're NOT a racist, then you are a racist.  And of course if you say 'all (everybody) lives matter'  you're a racist.  I think I see a flaw in this reasoning.

 

  And when you say 'often', how can you, based on those four words alone, determine if the speaker is a rascist or not?

 

 

More than once, I have said online, on Facebook and other venues that I'm not too interested in hearing 'black OR white lives matter" because I strongly believe that EVERYONE, every human being without exception should always  be treated as completely equal as everyone else.  For THAT I have been called a racist.

 

This blanket kind of reasoning makes no sense to me and I feel it's a serious insult to those people who harbor no prejudice to others of a different race yet are ASSUMED to be racists simply becaue they said they believed they weren't.

Please exaplin this reasoning?


I made a short simple post and you add a lot of bovine feces to it. You referred to nothing that I posted. I said nothing about people who "are assumed to be racists simply because they said they believed they weren't".

 

I posted two very short quotes and stated that they are often the first two things that racists say.

 

I then stated that "They (racists) often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that."

 

Now if you want to actually respond to what I really said, then fine, but stop adding your own bovine feces in place of what I post and then arguing against it, that's a straw man argument.


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
516
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
498
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

498 Views
Message 25 of 48

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

 

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that.


Actually, some of the comments made by the lighter skinned male in the video sounds very much like "more than just a few" of the posts comming from several of the Conservatives posting here.

 

Just saying.... 


Ya think sometimes they just mimmic each other ???


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
498
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
490
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

490 Views
Message 26 of 48

@jims730656 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

 

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that.


So if you admit you're a racist then of course you are a racist.  But if you say you're NOT a racist, then you are a racist.  And of course if you say 'all (everybody) lives matter'  you're a racist.  I think I see a flaw in this reasoning.

 

  And when you say 'often', how can you, based on those four words alone, determine if the speaker is a rascist or not?

 

 

More than once, I have said online, on Facebook and other venues that I'm not too interested in hearing 'black OR white lives matter" because I strongly believe that EVERYONE, every human being without exception should always  be treated as completely equal as everyone else.  For THAT I have been called a racist.

 

This blanket kind of reasoning makes no sense to me and I feel it's a serious insult to those people who harbor no prejudice to others of a different race yet are ASSUMED to be racists simply becaue they said they believed they weren't.

Please exaplin this reasoning?


Do you know what "Black Lives Matter" means and why it's relevant?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
490
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
496
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

496 Views
Message 27 of 48

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

 

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that.


Actually, some of the comments made by the lighter skinned male in the video sounds very much like "more than just a few" of the posts comming from several of the Conservatives posting here.

 

Just saying.... 


Both men in that rap video expressed commonly heard complaints about the other's race and the kind of racist opinions and behavior that exists today...

 

Both spoke of how very many black and very many white people see things - and what many black people and many white people believe to be true.

 

How much is each opinion justified?  Not justified?  True?  False? 

 

PROOF???

 

Lame, craven, and pusillanimous butt-hurt whining about being called racist, and suggesting that we just don't say that sort of thing any more will never solve those thousands of years old problems which have persisted for countless generations - and most likely will continue to exist - until there are far more mixed race people in the world than there are people of "pure" racial or cultural types...

 

Of course we are all racist - those of us alive today probably will never manage to become completely non-racist - the series of questions to be answered involve -

 

1) To what extent/degree are we racist...

2) Which group(s) are we racist about... 

3) Why and how we got that way...

4) How we each individually intend to go about fixing our own individual problem... 

 

That is assuming, of course, that each individual wishes and intends to fix it and doesn't believe that their racism is good, proper, god given, and patriotic...

 

For some the question is whether purebreds or hybrids are better...

 

Centuries of animal breeding (yes we are unquestionably animals) arrived at the answer to that question long before the United States of America came to exist...

 

Register my vote in favor of mixed race "mongrelization"....

 

For the record - sure, I still retain enough biased oponions/feelings that I'm still somewhat racist and bigoted - especially against certain extreme white right wing fundamentalist groups and various groups that espouse variants of white supremacy...

 

 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
496
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
526
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

526 Views
Message 28 of 48

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

 

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that.


So if you admit you're a racist then of course you are a racist.  But if you say you're NOT a racist, then you are a racist.  And of course if you say 'all (everybody) lives matter'  you're a racist.  I think I see a flaw in this reasoning.

 

  And when you say 'often', how can you, based on those four words alone, determine if the speaker is a rascist or not?

 

 

More than once, I have said online, on Facebook and other venues that I'm not too interested in hearing 'black OR white lives matter" because I strongly believe that EVERYONE, every human being without exception should always  be treated as completely equal as everyone else.  For THAT I have been called a racist.

 

This blanket kind of reasoning makes no sense to me and I feel it's a serious insult to those people who harbor no prejudice to others of a different race yet are ASSUMED to be racists simply becaue they said they believed they weren't.

Please exaplin this reasoning?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
526
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
527
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

527 Views
Message 29 of 48

Joyner Lucas feels like “life is changing before my eyes.”

 

It might have something to do with the fact that the Worcester-based hiphop artist’s latest music video is tipping toward 3 million page views on YouTube in just two days.

 

“Bro what’s happening right now?,” Lucas said on Twitter on Thursday, as articles highlighting the emotional and topical nature of his video, which taps into discussions about race in America that many tend to avoid, ricocheted around the Internet.

 

By the afternoon, it was on YouTube’s “trending” list. On Facebook, it was shared nearly 1 million times and had roughly 24 million views.

 

The video is called “I’m Not Racist,” and features a white man with a beard, wearing a red “Make America Great Again” hat, sitting in an empty room across from a black man.

 

As the video unfolds, each of the characters deliver emotionally-charged rap verses written and performed by Lucas, who is not actually in the video himself. It becomes a seven-minute dialogue that CNN dubbed “the brutal race conversation nobody wants to have.”

 

 


From the start, the tension in the video is palpable, with the slow and at-times bass-heavy music adding an extra layer of intensity to the lyrics.

 

It begins with the man in the Trump campaign hat rattling off a series of offensive stereotypes about black people — “I see a black man aiming his gun; but I’d rather see a black man claiming his son,” part of the verse goes — as the music crescendos.

 

For three whole minutes, as the camera circles the room, the man in the hat continues to list reasons he feels angered or afflicted by black people in America, while peppering in the words “I’m not racist” to justify his opinions.

 

Halfway through the video, the tables turn, as the black character sitting opposite the man in the Trump hat explains his experience in the country as a person of color.

 

“Screaming ‘All Lives Matter’ is a protest to my protest, What the [expletive deleted] is that?,’ ” he says at the outset, before answering the questions outlined in the other man’s rant.

 

The black character, who at one point heatedly slaps the hat off the white man’s head, goes on to discuss cultural appropriation, interactions with the police, and systemic racism.

 

“I wish we could trade shoes or we could change lives, so we could understand each other more, but that would take time,” the lyrics continue. “I’m not racist, but there’s two sides to every story and now you know mine.”

 

Lucas, who was not immediately available for comment, told CNN this week in an interview that the video is about “an average white man speaking his mind on how he actually feels about black people” and an “average black guy talking about his interactions with white people.”

 

“These are suppressed feelings that both parties have but are afraid to express,” Lucas said.

The video has a bit of a surprise ending, as the music and the energy in the room shift dramatically and the two men embrace in a hug.

 

When the screen goes black, these words appear: “We were all humans until race disconnected us, religion separated us, politics divided us, and wealth classified us.”

 

WARNING: The video below contains explicit content and lyrics.

 

Worcester rapper’s ‘I’m not racist’ video spurs conversation about race in America


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
527
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
510
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

510 Views
Message 30 of 48

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

 

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that.


Actually, some of the comments made by the lighter skinned male in the video sounds very much like "more than just a few" of the posts comming from several of the Conservatives posting here.

 

Just saying.... 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
510
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report


city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors