From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "I'm Not a Racist"

Message 31 of 48

"I'm not a racist" or "prove that I'm a racist" are often the first two things that racists say.

They often show what they are without ever admitting it. This forum confirms that.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 48

@alferdpacker—I too have racial diversity in my family. And you know what I have found out AP? Those to proclaim they are not racist, tend to be the biggest racists of all. 

You continue to make many who participate in this forum proud!

RE: video—-Couldn’t get past the ignorance and vulgarity of first—however, it is obviously a commercial endeavor by a wanna be rapper.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 48

Sort of conversation we need, but even moe we need our education system to tell the truth about the Civil War being to preserve slavery, the systematic movement of good jobs away from the city where blacks could ride a bus to work to the 'burbs where you needed a car to get to work AND no blacks could buy a house. We need our kids to understand the RESULTS of the Reagan taxscam so obsecenities like the latest Republican tax scam will not be tollerated because they would already know all the benefits go to the top 10% and its paid for by wealth flowing away from the bottom 90%, the workers who produced it in the first place.

Instead we've got a POTUS who wants people fired for expressing their dissatisfaction with police brutality against the black community, while his lofo base insists BLM is racist because somehow it means white lives DON'T matter?? What perverted logic gets anyone to that conclusion?

I'm beginning to see the GOP as the Seven Plagues of Egypt. God didn't like how things were going in the 60's - families breaking apart, waging needless Wars, giving so much more to the Ultra wealthy that meant so much less for everyone else, so he sent Nixon to punish America by declairing War on Drugs black people use, and removing the Draft that made everyone aware of the injustice of the the war LBJ lied us into and kept us from considering the injustice of such future wars.

That didn't work, so he inflicted us with Reagan who shifted all the new wealth and most of the old into the pockets of the very top of the 1%.

Still we refused to see ourselves as a Nation United, so he sent jrbush to lie us into two worthless Wars against an IDEA, so it can never be won and will therefore never end.

Still we insisted we "made it all ourselves" and had no compassion to share with those we employ or those with a different complexion. So now we've been sent Der Trumper. Not sure there'll be a Nation TO save when this nincompoop get done with us.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 48

@roberts258723 wrote:

We all keep growing,when articles like these are posted

Only if we read AND listen with an open-mind AND actually want to grow.; sadly, IMO, many choose not to "grow".  But I do agree with your sentiment.

Welcome to the forum!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 48

@jims730656- you are right - nobody listens.

Me either.

Goodbye

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 48

@alferdpacker wrote:

@jims730656- Good tale from your life.

Well - the truth is that I get stopped far less often driving by myself than when I'm driving with my wife, my mostly black daughter, one of my other very visibly minority adult kids and/or my grandkids riding in the very same vehicle with me in the very same regions.

When I'm shopping alone, I'm not "shadowed" - but I've noticed that when my minority family members/friends are with me we sometimes are "shadowed".

Not isolated nor coincidental - been happening that way for over forty years.

You're correct - not everyone is that way, but decades of mistreatment has taken it's toll, and I offer absolutely no apology whatsoever.

Each of us has walked in different shoes and lived different lives.

Indeed we have, and I don't begrudge your particular prejudices.  But who is doing this.  Individuals, or the government that controls them?

My point here, same as in other threads here and many other online forums is, and has always been that we as Americans will get absolutely nowhere as long as we allow ourselves to be divided.  So long as we keep glaring at each other over the artificially created divide, this government is totally on autopilot with no interference from the people.

They do what they want and without ANY input from the people they are supposed to serve.  And what they do invariably huts those same people, namely US in one form or another.  And we ALL know it, but we take to the Internet and complain about how bad our malicious and self-serving government has become but we do nothing ELSE because we/'re too busy looking at some mythical, fake 'other side' to do much else.

We get some thought, planted in our minds by the Media and our own political parties about how everyone who doesn't think as we do is somehow 'evil'.  And in our focusing on these 'evil' people we fail to notice that almost everyone we meet is NOT one of those 'evil' people, even when their beliefs are different from ours.

At one time it was the evil Communists, then it was the evil Muslims putting phony fear into us.  But in most of that time it is US that are our own true worst enemy.

That's all I have to say, the same as I've said for several decades..  Nobody listens, so be it.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 48

We all keep growing,when articles like these are posted

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 48

@jims730656- Good tale from your life.

Well - the truth is that I get stopped far less often driving by myself than when I'm driving with my wife, my mostly black daughter, one of my other very visibly minority adult kids and/or my grandkids riding in the very same vehicle with me in the very same regions.

When I'm shopping alone, I'm not "shadowed" - but I've noticed that when my minority family members/friends are with me we sometimes are "shadowed".

Not isolated nor coincidental - been happening that way for over forty years.

You're correct - not everyone is that way, but decades of mistreatment has taken it's toll, and I offer absolutely no apology whatsoever.

Each of us has walked in different shoes and lived different lives.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 48

@alferdpacker wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

God I wish that we could all 'get along'. What a wonderful nation we could be.

Not getting along about something or other seems to be an unchangeable human chacteristic that's at least ten or twenty thousand years old at last count...

I agree, but the sad thing is we see ourselves as so much more intelligent and 'civilized' as those who went before us.  As a society we don't even KNOW when we're being unintelligent or bigoted, and we think we're so much better than that.

It seems the people of all those years ago were at least HONEST about their ignorance and prejudices.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 48

@alferdpacker wrote:

@jims730656 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

@jims730656 wrote:

Heavy stuff, but points for everyone to think about.  

Think about?

"A conservative is a man who just sits and thinks - mostly sits." 

Woodrow Wilson

Any action taken by anyone for any reason should have some thought given to it before doing it.  Otherwise you just have blind impulse.  And I would say that blind, and ignorant impulse is a component of racism in many ways.

Besides, I was saying the VIDEO was something to think about.  NOT 'racism' itself.  I thought that was rather obvious.

I've seen, heard and experienced bias, bigotry, prejudice, and racism - often on a first person basis for most of my adult life. 

In the late sixties, my first wife was black - our separation was mutual because she wanted big city life, and I was going to remain in Co. mountain towns - my wife of 40+ years is 1/4 Hispanic, 1/4 Ute, and 1/2 Navajo.   

Over the years, we've adopted kids from racial heritages other than ours which made us rather a "heinz 57" family - while the kids were at home - but like all kids - they are out of the house living life on their terms...

I've had over 50 years to consider/think/examine and have long ago come to a very fine and exact understanding of white republican/conservative racial bias/prejudice/bigotry/racism and understand the variants of racially biased apologetics for what the variants are pretending to be - versus what they really are trying to say and do.  

Yeah, I understand that much of it is more culturally acquired/reflexive than calculated - but it's still very, very wrong.

Of COURSE it's wrong.  Who here said it wasn't?  And that has nothing to do with this thread  and it doesn't negate my comment on the video.

And your story was quite compelling, until you unnecessarily and wrongly frame bigotry as a conservative/Republican product.  That's where you lost me because it reveals a different kind of bigotry.

Politics and racial hatred are two entirely different things and you cannot broadbrush an entire political ideology that way.

I have my own reflection on the 50s and 60s.  I grew up in the 50s and the very early 60s and lived in an extremely bigoted, all-white neighborhood, and because of that I was quite bigoted as well.  Until I was about 11 years old when I was injured in the woods where we played and a black kid almost twice my size (from a nearby all-black neighborhood) picked me up and carried me through my all-white, bigoted neighborhood, being balefully stared at by all the white neighbors, to my house, where he handed me over to my parents to get me fixed up.  From that moment on I questioned the reasoning why this kid (and all who looked like him) were hated just because of what they looked like.  And from that day forward I rejected the utter stupidity of any animosity toward any human being based on their apparent differences.

I met Donnie Jones several years later and had the opportunity to tell him how his  one selfless act turned my thinking around.  Sadly, he died in his late 20s, but he was a good guy, period!  MUCH better of a human than the bigoted scum we see today.

And, by the way, until the late 60s almost that entire neighborhood of bigots was populated by DEMOCRATS!

And this is precisely why I dislike the idea of people broadbrushing entire groups of people who who they never met because their politics differ from their own.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors