AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "AMY" A Moderate Dem that Crosses the Aisle

Message 1 of 5

Klobuchar may find progressives to be holding out on her candidacy

Organizers in key voting bloc view Klobuchar as too centrist.

Too Centrist?  Hmmmm.....isn't that where most of America resides?  Near the middle?  Of course....

Amy Klobuchar is Trump's worst nightmare - The Washington Post

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

I think that she is a good candidate and I look forward to hearing more from her. Women seem to be connecting well with voters, so I think that there is a very good chance that one of them will be at the top of the ticket.

In a way, I hope that Sanders and Biden decide to forego the race and let the younger ones take it from here. They have both served their country well. However, if they do run it will be interesting to see the contrasts among the candidates, nothing wrong with choices.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

At least 10 of the last 18 years.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Amy has Integrity , that's been missing for a few years. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

"AMY" A Moderate Dem that Crosses the Aisle

Message 5 of 5

Image result for klobuchar

Sen. Klobuchar joins 2020 fray: 'I'm running for every American'

Sen. Amy Klobuchar announces presidential bid: 'I am running for every American, I'm running for you'

Against a wintry Minneapolis backdrop, Amy Klobuchar announced her run for President on Sunday with a vow to “heal the heart of our democracy” and an emphasis on her Minnesota roots.

“As president, I will look you in the eye,” Klobuchar said, her hair thick with falling snow by the end of her speech at Boom Island Park. “I will tell you what I think. I will focus on getting things done. That’s what I’ve done my whole life.”

By officially joining the fray, Klobuchar enters into competition with a growing roster of Democrats who want to challenge President Donald Trump in 2020. Her speech alternated between personal biography and statements of principle. She argued that her own life and political experience put her in the best position to tackle an ambitious agenda from the White House.

“I’m running for this job for every person who wants their work recognized and rewarded,” Klobuchar said. “I’m running for every parent who wants a better world for their kids. … For every American. I’m running for you.”

The Minneapolis skyline framed the stage but at times was barely visible through the heavy snow. Teams of volunteers passed out hot chocolate and hand warmers, and fires burned in several pits scattered around the site, giving the rally a campfire smell.

In the 20-minute speech, Klobuchar called for universal health care, cheaper prescription drugs, comprehensive immigration reform, an end to fearmongering and hate, a more stable foreign policy and stronger ties with allies, action against climate change, universal background checks on gun sales, a constitutional amendment to limit corporate political donations, automatic voter registration for all 18-year-olds, stronger data privacy and full nationwide internet connectivity.

Even as Klobuchar ramped up for her presidential launch in recent days, stories by several online news outlets detailed anonymous allegations by some former aides of abusive or demeaning treatment by Klobuchar. She was asked about the reports in a brief question-and-answer session with reporters after the speech.

“Yes, I can be tough, and yes, I can push people. I know that,” she said, as her husband and daughter stood alongside her. “But in the end, there are so many great stories of our staff, who have been with me for years, that have gone on to do incredible things. I have high expectations for myself, I have high expectations for the people that work for me, I have high expectations for this country.”

Of course, weather

The heavy snow that fell before and during Klobuchar’s speech handed her and other speakers lots of weather-related laugh lines. Just about the only people present with uncovered heads were a handful of politicians.

And it was the weather that provided reaction fodder for Klobuchar’s potential rival, who tweeted about her for the first time ever shortly after the speech. Trump noted Klobuchar’s discussion of climate change and, as he has previously, suggested in his tweet that the wintry weather disproves it. Climate scientists don’t share that assessment.

“By the end of her speech, she looked like a Snowman(woman)!” Trump tweeted.

Klobuchar fired back with a sense of humor, tweeting: “Science is on my side” and asking: “I wonder how your hair would fare in a blizzard?”

Image result for trump hair in blizzard

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors