Honored Social Butterfly

neoMarxism

While on vacation and peddling my tryke from restaurant to restaurant, I got to thinking about a promise I had made to bring up something very much in need of discussion and clarification. So - 

Some are offended by the term "neoMarxist" being used to describe the Progressive Movement. I believe there are two possible reasons for that. One is a lack of understanding of the term – and I shall attempt to fix that in this topic. The other is that some recognize their own ideological tendencies going in that direction and are embarrassed to admit it. Hopefully, this topic will show that there is no reason to not "come out of the closet". 

To start with the "don't call me commiecomplaint is not valid. It comes from fear that admitting their Marxist tendencies would tie them to the USSR and Stalin. In reality, a part of the Marxist vision was in play in Russia for the first two years after the revolution under Lenin. The farms were stolen from the landowners and given to those who had worked the land. But then Stalin came into power and adopted the "we the people" theory meaning that everything belonged to all the people – naturally administered by the Central government. The result – the USSR under Stalin in which everything was owned by the government and distributed as it saw fit. 

Now, about the Progressive Movement. It was begun by Teddy Roosevelt and did change America, for the better. It strengthened free market capitalism by insuring it's freedom (anti-trust laws). It also protected ALL Americans form the food industry's unhealthy actions. The National Park system was created – for two valuable purposes. It kept the forests for the use of the people and it preserved the trees for the lumber industry. 

So, as you can see, Progressivism was off to a good start. But.....well, what happened to it is a story for another day. Let's see if we can first all agree that Teddy had a great idea and there is nothing to be ashamed of about being a Marxist. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Isn't the "politics of division" so "fun to watch" as one posted in the topic about BLM?

Does that mean you do not agree with the vision of Marx (sorta like Social Justice) is wrong? Does it mean that you think the Progressive era of Teddy Roosevelt did not give much of value to our nation?

It appears you have no interest in either subject and the three kudoes seems to indicate you are not alone in that.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Isn't the "politics of division" so "fun to watch" as one posted in the topic about BLM?

Does that mean you do not agree with the vision of Marx (sorta like Social Justice) is wrong? No, it means those that whine and "politics of division" and propagate it themselves, are hypocrites. Does it mean that you think the Progressive era of Teddy Roosevelt did not give much of value to our nation?  No, it means those that whine and "politics of division" and propagate it themselves, are hypocrites.

It appears you have no interest in either subject and the three kudoes (sic) seems to indicate you are not alone in that. No, I don't have any interest in participating in most baiting topics that one uses to attack others.  Do you really need to have your biased views validated?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Does that mean you do not agree with the vision of Marx (sorta like Social Justice) is wrong? No, it means those that whine and "politics of division" and propagate it themselves, are hypocrites. Does it mean that you think the Progressive era of Teddy Roosevelt did not give much of value to our nation?  No, it means those that whine and "politics of division" and propagate it themselves, are hypocrites.

It appears you have no interest in either subject and the three kudoes (sic) seems to indicate you are not alone in that. No, I don't have any interest in participating in most baiting topics that one uses to attack others.  Do you really need to have your biased views validated?

Same deal - if you have an interest in this topic, read post #1, think and then respond.

If not, just post more like the above and I promise you the last word.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Same deal - if you have an interest in this topic, read post #1, think and then respond.  Same deal as I posted earlier, "I don't have any interest in participating in most baiting topics that one uses to attack others"; just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of your posts this morning....you know, attacking the "dividers" in one topic; yet clearly being the "divider" here in this topic.

If not, just post more like the above and I promise you the last word.  Perfect. Thank you.  Sounds like you "got" the point.

Honored Social Butterfly

Some are offended by the term "neoMarxist" being used to describe the Progressive Movement. I believe there are two possible reasons for that. One is a lack of understanding of the term – and I shall attempt to fix that in this topic. The other is that some recognize their own ideological tendencies going in that direction and are embarrassed to admit it. Hopefully, this topic will show that there is no reason to not "come out of the closet". 

Wrong, and..wrong.

So it begins.
Honored Social Butterfly

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

Another detailed response that is difficult to respond to. Are you familiar with the word "discussion"?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

Another detailed response that is difficult to respond to.

No less detailed than what it responded to rk!

Are you familiar with the word "discussion"?

The more relevant question would be "Are YOU familiar with baiting"?

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

If you have an interest in this topic, please read post #1, think and respond.

If not, just post more like the above and I promise I will give you the last word.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

If you have an interest in this topic, please read post #1, think and respond.

I already did that rk and responded describing it as the "epitome of logistical fallacy".

I then detailed the logistical fallacies.

Perhaps you should heed your own advice regarding "reading" and "thinking" before you "respond".

If not, just post more like the above

The "above" negates what you'd like to believe and its factual content renders you unable to respond with anything meaningful. So all you can do is resort to disparaging remarks.

and I promise I will give you the last word.

A ludicrous promise as you have no authority over any other poster.

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

Another detailed response that is difficult to respond to. Are you familiar with the word "discussion"?

Someone telling you it is wrong is 'discussion', and very accurate.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

It is amazing that "Wrong, and..wrong" (and nothing more) can be considered "discussion" on a pair of rather complex issues (Marxism and the Progressive Era) - and - 3 kudoes. 

Very, very disappointing.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

It is amazing that "Wrong, and..wrong" (and nothing more) can be considered "discussion" on a pair of rather complex issues (Marxism and the Progressive Era) - and - 3 kudoes. 

There is nothing "complex" about 'Marxism and the Progressive era', what you posted about it is simply wrong

Sorry you're disappointed.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

There is nothing "complex" about 'Marxism and the Progressive era', what you posted about it is simply wrong

Great!!! Now we are getting somewhere. What I posted is "simply wrong" - why? - what was wrong in post #1?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

Great!!! Now we are getting somewhere. What I posted is "simply wrong" - why? - what was wrong in post #1?

Your questions were already answered rk. 

Once AGAIN, your post was a logistical fallacy ...... and several examples to verify that were also provided.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

Right you are, MIseker....

It's very similar to the term facism.  Seeing that those who wildly support trump and his rounding up people and deporting them, telling cops to "not be so nice", allowing cops to confiscate money even when no charges are filed against a person and many other authoritative and facist actions, it MUST be that "some recognize their own ideological tendencies going in that direction and are embarrassed to admit it. Hopefully, this topic will show that there is no reason to not "come out of the closet".

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

It's very similar to the term facism.  Seeing that those who wildly support trump and his rounding up people and deporting them, telling cops to "not be so nice", allowing cops to confiscate money even when no charges are filed against a person and many other authoritative and facist actions, it MUST be that "some recognize their own ideological tendencies going in that direction and are embarrassed to admit it. Hopefully, this topic will show that there is no reason to not "come out of the closet".

In my opinion, this topic is an example of how someone can get something so wrong .......... or .......... just a futile attempt to aggravate and bait.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Wrong, and..wrong.

In my opinion, this topic is an example of how someone can get something so wrong .......... or .......... just a futile attempt to aggravate and bait.

Except for attacking the poster, do you have any thoughts on the topic? Or are you just "kudo chasing"?

If the latter - congrats 4.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Except for attacking the poster, do you have any thoughts on the topic? Or are you just "kudo chasing"?

Sorry you are so fixated on KUDOS, I simply posted my thoughts on the topic.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Sorry you are so fixated on KUDOS, I simply posted my thoughts on the topic.

That is the totality of your thinking on the topic of the thinking of Karl Marx and Teddy Roosevelt????

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

While on vacation and peddling my tryke from restaurant to restaurant, I got to thinking about a promise I had made to bring up something very much in need of discussion and clarification. So - 

To start with the "don't call me commiecomplaint is not valid. It comes from fear that admitting their Marxist tendencies would tie them to the USSR and Stalin. In reality, a part of the Marxist vision was in play in Russia for the first two years after the revolution under Lenin. The farms were stolen from the landowners and given to those who had worked the land. But then Stalin came into power and adopted the "we the people" theory meaning that everything belonged to all the people – naturally administered by the Central government. The result – the USSR under Stalin in which everything was owned by the government and distributed as it saw fit. 

Now, about the Progressive Movement. It was begun by Teddy Roosevelt and did change America, for the better. It strengthened free market capitalism by insuring it's freedom (anti-trust laws). It also protected ALL Americans form the food industry's unhealthy actions. The National Park system was created – for two valuable purposes. It kept the forests for the use of the people and it preserved the trees for the lumber industry. 

So, as you can see, Progressivism was off to a good start. But.....well, what happened to it is a story for another day. Let's see if we can first all agree that Teddy had a great idea and there is nothing to be ashamed of about being a Marxist. 

The epitome of a logistical fallacy!

Honored Social Butterfly

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I must admit - the detailed logic(?) of that post is hard to respond to.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I must admit - the detailed logic(?) of that post is hard to respond to.

OK ...... Some "details" ....

- Straw man arguments such as  "the don't call me commie complaint".

No such argument was ever made or advanced. You made it up!

- Straw man arguments such as "......there is nothing to be ashamed of about being a Marxist."

Again, No such argument was aver made or advanced. You made it up!

- Your implication that the term "neoMarxist" being used to describe the Progressive Movement" is some sort of widespread use of the "term".

It's not. You're the only one to use it!

- The all inclusive use of "WE" ..... when it's only YOU!

- Assuming what others can "see" .... and then asserting it as fact when it's only YOU that wants to see things as you'd like them to be!

- And of course, your continued fallacious equivalency of 'regulated capitalism and government assistance' with 'Marxism'!

Honored Social Butterfly

rk9152: 

Some are offended by the term "neoMarxist" being used to describe the Progressive Movement.

I'm not offended in the least. Few progessives worry about the ridiculous strawmen concocted by the right. You're free to think whatever you will of course, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously no matter how often you want to harp on it. Btw, what was the last thing you were actually correct about? Anything? 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum wrote:

rk9152: 

Some are offended by the term "neoMarxist" being used to describe the Progressive Movement.

I'm not offended in the least. Few progessives worry about the ridiculous strawmen concocted by the right. You're free to think whatever you will of course, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously no matter how often you want to harp on it. Btw, what was the last thing you were actually correct about? Anything? 🙂

Now, now - no need to get nasty.

I posted about a political and social ideology that has been alive for over 150 years. Many great minds have contemplated it. Many people have adopted parts or all. 

Additionally, I posted about a Movement begun with the best of intentions over 100 years ago. Much of the early elements of that movement are in our lives and our laws to this day.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Your explanation of Neo Marxims is quite laughable. like other people we all know, that  you are now, becoming extremely condecending to anyone that could be what you call progressive.(neo marxist)  Now, you think they are embarrassed to be called that, so they feel offended.
I get the feeling that they are more offended by your post than what you may think that they are offended by

In the same manner that most have no idea as to what Socialism really is, Neo Marxsitm is a label that you feel proud of having invented. but, in reality only represents your views.
So, I won't feel offended. I am not a Neo Marxist and frankly I have yet to meet one.

no name
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png