Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: hero or murderer?

Message 21 of 47

@alferdpacker wrote:

Never have had any respect for trump - a dishonest and malignantly narcissistic unstable liar, fraud, and charlatan that was catapulted into the pResidency by a hostile foreign power - never will have any respect for the deranged orange toad...

Is the topic about Trump or is it that you just have to repeat that no matter what the topic is?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 47

rk9152:   When you are on the battlefield, it is different than being "downtown".

OMG rk, that has never occured to me.*laughing*  Nevertheless, I trust that our military can handle any circumstance. Like they always have. I doubt they're sitting around agonizing over how they should classify their opposition.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 47

@rk9152 wrote:

@H2Oh wrote:

I know you'll ignore my point and simply cut and paste your irrelevant question (no one here said we should treat terrorists as criminals except you... making your statement that "some here agree" a complete fallacy) over ... and over ... and over... no matter how many times someone answers you.

Here's a cut&paste for you - any more about your theory about Nazis posting here. That was quite offensive and should be resolved.

Never have had any respect for trump - a dishonest and malignantly narcissistic unstable liar, fraud, and charlatan that was catapulted into the pResidency by a hostile foreign power - never will have any respect for the deranged orange toad...

Of course he should be mocked, ridiculed, and and lampooned -

From eight minutes on in the following link...

EXCLUSIVE - Stormy Daniels Details Sex with Donald Trump - YouTube

Would he murder?  

Not directly, he doesn't have the courage...

But would he order someone else to murder?

Probably...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 47

@H2Oh wrote:

I know you'll ignore my point and simply cut and paste your irrelevant question (no one here said we should treat terrorists as criminals except you... making your statement that "some here agree" a complete fallacy) over ... and over ... and over... no matter how many times someone answers you.

Here's a cut&paste for you - any more about your theory about Nazis posting here. That was quite offensive and should be resolved.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 47

@rk9152 wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

BigLib:  Why do conservatives always have to distort and gloss over the facts. Pathetic.

I think they do it because they begin with an outcome they want, and straight facts won't support their preferred outcome.

Does that mean that some here agree with treating terrorists as criminals - even on the battle field?

Or that they just like attacking fellow posters of a different political ideology than theirs and use any topic to do so?

Still, I must ask. What is it about taking a confined prisoner who is unarmed to a secret place to murder him that equates to "the battlefield"?

Is this like that often-expressed conservative belief in summary execution without trial of black people arrested on the street? They did something wrong, so the officer was right to murder them?

Why do conservatives hate America, democracy, and the rule of law?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 47

@Panjandrum wrote:

rk9152:  True, that will be the resolution of this case. Any thoughts on terrorists being treated as criminals as opposed to enemy combatants or even guerrillas?

Every terrorist our justice system has dealt with has been handled according to criminal law. We don't have a separate set of laws just for people deemed  "terrorists". Why would we need it?

When you are on the battlefield, it is different than being "downtown". Although even there, we are dealing with people acting in the name of a cause that has declared war on the west. So, if we are at war, it is a different situation - a military one. You don't give lawyers to captured POWs.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 47

I think if he is found guilty by a military court, his sentence will be light. He was charged with premeditated murder, which could carry the death penalty. I doubt he will anything close to that if found guilty. Should Trump pardon him? He should wait until the trial concludes and a verdict comes in.

I think Special Operations Chief Edward Gallager will recieve a heavier sentence than Matt Golsteyn:

On or about May 3, 2017, the Iraqis called in an airstrike on a building and then subsequently captured a wounded ISIS fighter. It's reported the he was about 15 years old. After the fighter was taken prisoner — and briefly interviewed by an Iraqi journalist — he was turned over to the SEALs at their compound and medics began treating him, including Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher.

Gallagher briefly left as other SEALs began to help with medical treatment of the fighter, who was having trouble breathing and was apparently hit with shrapnel in the left leg.

One other SEAL medic told NCIS he believed he had just stabilized the fighter before Gallagher “walked up without saying anything at all” and started stabbing him.

The medic told investigators it left him in “complete disbelief.”

In total, there were three eyewitnesses to the alleged murder.

Afterward, according to the charges, Gallagher posed next to the body and took three photos on his cell.

In one photo, Gallager held up the dead fighter’s head, still attached to the body, with one hand while holding his knife in the other.

The second showed a similar pose but zoomed out, with two other SEALs in the background.

The third showed Gallagher holding the fighter’s head by his hair.

Prosecutors presented accounts from several other SEALs in Chief Gallagher’s platoon describing his behavior as reckless and bloodthirsty.

They said he fired into civilian crowds, gunned down a girl walking along a riverbank and an old man carrying a water jug, and threatened to kill fellow SEALs if they reported his actions.

The Navy has charged Chief Gallagher with premeditated murder, attempted murder and nearly a dozen other offenses. If he is convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Chief Gallagher denies all the charges.

The case has sent waves through the secretive world of the SEALs, who prefer to operate behind the headlines.

And the case may widen as the investigation implicates other SEALs who did not report what they knew. A lieutenant has already been charged.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Edward-Gallagher-Navy-SEAL-Iraq-San-Diego-War-Crimes-Case-500...

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 47

rk9152:  True, that will be the resolution of this case. Any thoughts on terrorists being treated as criminals as opposed to enemy combatants or even guerrillas?

Every terrorist our justice system has dealt with has been handled according to criminal law. We don't have a separate set of laws just for people deemed  "terrorists". Why would we need it?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 47

@easyed598 wrote:

I know what conservatives view on this matter ,,,,I just wanted a liberal opinion and you being a non-phantom liberal,your opinion would be appreciated.

Perhaps Golsteyn was a little too obvious about this.  Mostly he shouldn't have admitted it during the interview on FOX.  Even though he was suspected, there was no evidence to charge him.

Doubtful he has been the only one in military history that has done the same during wartime, especially under the circumstances.   It is interesting to see the armchair lawyers comments about military standards of conduct.  I recall some of the stories from Vietnam, plus reading of experiences in other wars.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 47

@Panjandrum wrote:

rk9152:  I understand - now, do you think terrorists should be treated as enemy combatants or criminals? 

I'm sure the military can sort them out and will treat them according to their rules.

True, that will be the resolution of this case. Any thoughts on terrorists being treated as criminals as opposed to enemy combatants or even guerrillas?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors