Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: disintegration of democracy

Message 1 of 13

@janicel633 

1. Interestingly, this morning, concerning the Maine Senate race, I read that AARP had a Gop firm do a survey in July...would anyone have any insight here on this? Or any Dem firms contracted to do surveys!

2. Over the last 2 years, I have called, emailed, and petitioned my entire Congressional House and Senate delegation, and will continue to do so...but they are all repubs who support trump...I oppose trump, which probably shows how much my opinion is valued by them!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

@gruffstuff wrote:

Any ideas?

What's the one thing retires have that most other people don't?

Time

Use that time to organize, talk, plan, protest, take action, and above all.

VOTE

Talk to you children and grand children, listen to what they say, tell them what you think.

I do all of that.   I am just afraid that as long as we have Gerrymandering, Billions in Corporate dollars in our elections, Delegates and Super Delegates choosing our Presidential Candidates, and Electoral Votes choosing our President, we may never get back our Democracy.

"The only thing that man learns from history is that man learns nothing from history."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

Any ideas?

What's the one thing retires have that most other people don't?

Time

Use that time to organize, talk, plan, protest, take action, and above all.

VOTE

Talk to you children and grand children, listen to what they say, tell them what you think.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@MsStretch wrote:

AARP also encourages joining the conversation at several Twitter feeds.  Just a few:

If I may add, I see very few, if any, comments on the Twitter feeds.  I am not a member of any social media accounts, but what better way to "join the conversation"?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

Have you checked out the AARP Press Room?  You can see AARP's latest stances such as their  Statement on White House’s FY2021 Budget Proposal and their response to the SOTU.  AARP has definitely come out against reductions or slashing funding to the programs depended on by many of us.

We are however deeply concerned about proposed funding reductions to Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, nutrition assistance, caregiver support, housing assistance, and other assistance for older Americans. AARP calls on Congress to protect these critical programs that millions of Americans rely on for their health and financial security.

AARP also encourages joining the conversation at several Twitter feeds.  Just a few:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

Janice, I agree with you 100% and thank you for your posting.

As far as AARP.  It is  diverse community. Right here in this small forum here is division and disagreement. There are some very open minded people here and then there are some who would not criticize the vile and corrupt POTUS we have in the White House no matter what he might say or do.  He said he could kill someone on the street and they would still support him. Sometimes I almost believe that.

Once the Democratic Primaries are over and the Democratic Candidate is chosen, all should unite behind him or her and bring a Blue Wave to the polling places, defeating tRump and putting as many Democrats in the House and Senate as we can.

"The only thing that man learns from history is that man learns nothing from history."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

thank you for your reply Roxanna.  Our democracy is in serious danger and everyone who is of sound mind and with some morals needs to come together to make sure our voices are heard.

I have contacted AARP asking what they are doing and am looking to see what more I can do personally.  We all need to vote for the canidate we believe in and what our ‎conscience dictates.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13
thanks for your reply P236 ..Good for you for taking the time to email your congressmen; maybe if enough members are willing to take some action we can make a difference. I've also emailed AARP asking what if anything they are doing to help their members.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

I could not agree more.  Thanks for introducing this topic.  I email my congressmen but I know that is doing nothing since rarely do they do what their constituents actually want.  We are moving into treacherous waters and if we let Trump and his sycophants win again I am afraid our country as it is meant to be may begin to drown.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

thanks for your reply Willi.. Glad to see some people are still awake and care.  I too have looked on the AARP site and see nothing and must say I'm dissapointed that they should remain silent on such issues that directly effect so many of thier members.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors