There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
105
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

105 Views
Message 1 of 41

images.jpg

 

 

 

 

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894 - APPLIES TO TRUMP TODAY
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
105
Views
Moderator
0
Kudos
116
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

116 Views
Message 2 of 41

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

 

We are a community of people with diverse beliefs, opinions and backgrounds, so please be respectful and refrain from making hateful and/or incendiary comments. You are free to express your opinions, but you must do so in a way that respects the opinions of others.

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
116
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
119
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

119 Views
Message 3 of 41

trump is a racist who lies about his racism

So are a majority of his followers and supporters.

Both irrefutable facts.

One cannot have a valid opinion about a fact.

 

 

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894 - APPLIES TO TRUMP TODAY
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
119
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
124
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

124 Views
Message 4 of 41

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:


No, despite all the drama, you still do not have it straight.

 

Item #1 - they were stupid kids looking for attention.

Item #2 - words are words and they have meaning regardless of the skin color of the person saying them. It is pointless to allow the obsession with race to go so far as to say "This race has it's own words that no other race can use".

Item #3 - no one here is defending any NAZI SALUTE whether NEO or not.


I have no idea where you got the item numbers from as neither one of us numbered our points.

1. It's a case of organizing;

2. Same as 1.

 

Using your ITEM NUMBERS, all I can say is that in item #1 you are so wrong. These kids were old enough to know right from wrong. They were posed by one their fathers. The offensive image was then posted to social media. Posting the offensive image to social media could serve no other purpose than intimidation. And yet, you are defending this image of HATE.

1. Yes, so you keep saying. Let's face it, kids are not even responsible for their own health insurance until they are 26 (per Obamacare). These were kids. Let it be. Dumping your hatred on them accomplishes nothing.

2. No I'm NOT.

 

As to item #2, you have blown your entire argument out of the water yourself. Yes, words have meaning regardless of who says them. Same thing with IMAGES. What if you saw the "kids"(as you call them) posing the same way but it was in STORM TROOPER Magazine; would you still be defending them as you are doing or would you then be offended?

1. So, "lynching" is not racist. Are you withdrawing your accusations?

2. Dumb kids vs supposed mature people - big difference.

 

The image is offensive regardless of its venue just as words can be offensive regardless of their origin.

1. Yes, it is. And yes, they were stupid. Let it go.

 

And yet, you defend this INTIMIDATING IMAGE. Maybe because it isn't intimidating to you, you think. Ask a JEWISH friend if it is offensive and intimidating to them.

1. No IMAGE defending - just tolerance FOR DUMB KIDS. 

 

As to #3, you are repeatedly defending these IMAGES only because of who generated them.

1. Dealt WITH.

 

As YOUR OWN ARGUMENT earlier has said, words have meaning regardless of who said them.........

 

Well, so do IMAGES.

1. Kids vs adults.


 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
124
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
166
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

166 Views
Message 5 of 41



 

The intent in the content of apologetics for racist Nazi symbols and racist Nazi gestures is well understood and extremely obvious in-the-closet racism, hatred, and bigotry...

 

No response is necessary - except for virulent and heartfelt disapproval of disingenuous apologetics for symbols of racism and hatred - both of foreign origin - Nazi stuff - and domestic origin - confederate stuff...

 

Klaatu Barada Nikto

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894 - APPLIES TO TRUMP TODAY
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
166
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
175
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

175 Views
Message 6 of 41

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:



Since you seem to be giving a history lesson on the HITLER SALUTE and THE SWASTIKA, you must have a personal philosophy as relates to these two symbols of HATE.

Or is there another reason for keeping this thread alive?

So you still didn't answer my question.

 

Do you find the HITLER SALUTE and THE SWASTIKA offensive?

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
175
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
186
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

186 Views
Message 7 of 41

@alferdpacker wrote:

 


The vast majority of decent, honest, honorable and patriotic American Citizens does not view apologetics for the Nazi swastika and the disingenuity (sic) of referring to the the hated and despicible (sic) Nazi hand gesture as "roman salute" with anything but complete and utter disgust, disapproval and opprobrium.



You an authority on "decent, honest, honorable and patriotic Americans"?  Are you also an authority on historic context of symbol that have been appropriated by hate groups and governments?  Have you taken time to do research on the post I made?  Actually it was used in other European countries in modern times, and in the United States in 1892.  Way before Hitler appropriated it for his devious purposes. 

 

Roosevelt was responsible for dropping it and changing to the hand over heart gesture because of the similarity to the NAZI salute.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_salute#Adoption_during_the_20th_century

 

I recall a line in a movie I saw while in high school...."evil exists in the eye of the beholder, not necessarily in the object itself".  I believe the same saying is used elsewhere.


Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
186
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
196
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

196 Views
Message 8 of 41

 


The vast majority of decent, honest, honorable and patriotic American Citizens does not view apologetics for the Nazi swastika and the disingenuity of referring to the the hated and despicible Nazi hand gesture as "roman salute" with anything but complete and utter disgust, disapproval and opprobrium.

 

The nationwide Rainbow Wave of the Midterm Election has conclusively demonstrated the irrefutable fact that the majority of Patriotic American Citizens does NOT approve of or consider acceptable any sort of scurrilous apologetics for prejudice, racism, misogyny, anti-homosexual hatred and cultural and religious bigotry.

 

WE THE PEOPLE are much better than that.

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894 - APPLIES TO TRUMP TODAY
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
196
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
209
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

209 Views
Message 9 of 41

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:


Well, since they were kids posing for a Junior class picture, all this "IMAGE of the NEO NAZI SALUTE" nonsense is just that - nonsense. 

 

However, there is some strange desire to find something else to feel negativity and hatred about exhibited here.


And here is even more NONSENSE, as you call it.

 

HATE CRIMES against JEWS rose 37% last year. JEWS don't have to FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO FEEL NEGATIVITY AND HATRED; it finds them. Quit blaming the victims.

 

And here is even more NONSENSE, since you like to use the excuse that folks were JUST JOKING.

 

I suppose the REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE from Mississippi that mentioned GOING TO A PUBLIC HANGING as a joke should be forgiven by our BLACK friends because after all..... it was only a JOKE.

 

These things have to be taken seriously and pooh-poohing them as humor is wrong.

 

THERE IS NO OTHER WAY OF LOOKING AT IT.


I don't doubt that they are stupid but it is a shame we try so hard to make excuses for them. When I  was that age I knew better for two reasons, one I studied history and second my parents taught me to act like an adult. If I had pulled a stunt like that and my dad had found out about it, I would have joined a branch of the military so I could be beyond his reach.  

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
209
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
215
Views

Re: ‘You should have died in the Holocaust’

215 Views
Message 10 of 41

@nctarheel wrote:



Since you seem to be giving a history lesson on the HITLER SALUTE and THE SWASTIKA, you must have a personal philosophy as relates to these two symbols of HATE.

 



I believe in being logical rather than dwelling on anyone propagating HATE for ANY REASON, including attempts to further BIAS of any sort, including attempting to turn INNOCENT juvenile actions into that of prejudice.  

 

I also believe in putting things, especially this into perspective considering the ancient background.  I could say that your attempt to ignore that the swastika is an ancient religious symbol in Asian countries is an insult to Buddhist and Hindu religions.  You insult the beliefs of half the world, yet you claim bias.  I believe that of the world's major religions, Buddhism is no doubt the most peaceful along with Hinduism, even more so than western religions.

 

An intelligent analysis would be to consider if the symbol is used in a religious sense as in thousands of years or descrated by the NAZIS.  And in the case of the roman salute under discussion, was the high school kids doing it in a hateful way or in a frivilous youthful way.

 

If you have a problem with their actions then why are you addressing it here instead of going direct to the high school and city where it happened?

 

Or is there another reason for keeping this thread alive?

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
215
Views