Honored Social Butterfly

Yesterdays 60 minute segment

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-60-MINUTES-on-CBS-Sunday-April-2-2017-20170331 Scoop: 60 MINUTES on CBS - Sunday, April 2, 2017

Scoop: 60 MINUTES on CBS - Sunday, April 2, 2017SHOTS FIRED – A Tulsa police officer who killed an unarmed black man tells Bill Whitaker that race had nothing to do with her decision to pull the trigger. In her first interview, Officer Betty Shelby says Terence Crutcher caused his own death through his actions and his failure to heed commands. Many, including the Tulsa prosecutor who has charged her with manslaughter, believe a video of the incident shows a wrongful death.

===============================================
"wrongful death"'..I think that will be up to the jury to decide. 

It was more or less an attack on our police and and it went out of its way to flame the race issue in our country.

How did you see it? 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I also saw that segment.  First, let me say that because of the types of people I taught, I have seen the results of PCP use.  These victims have super human strength on this drug. 

The officer, not only recognized the signs of PCP use, it was found in the car of the man taken down.  Secondly, there is no reason that any body, for any reason, should not comply with demands of an officer.  She repeatedly told the man to put his hands up and keep them up.  He complied, then put his hands down, then complied again.  This, even without the tell tale signs of PCP, would have given any officer great cause for concern. The man was told repeatedly to stop walking.  He failed to comply.

Unless you  or a family member has ever lived through a confrontation such as the one that was highlighted in this  60 minutes segment, the real life and death scenario of this scene may not really hit home.  To say that the officer was racist because someone in the chopper said the man looked like "a bad dude," is ridiculous.  These were two separate people with individual thought processes. 

Police officers, especially today, are always under close scrutiny.  They get called horrible names, are spit on,and are attacked at times, just for showing up to a call.  A routine traffic stop could mean life and death.

I feel this was a very sad event, which could have been averted had the man complied.

We do have a poster who is a police officer.  It would be interesting to her from this lady!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Honored Social Butterfly

PC posted..

I also saw that segment. First, let me say that because of the types of people I taught, I have seen the results of PCP use. These victims have super human strength on this drug.
The officer, not only recognized the signs of PCP use, it was found in the car of the man taken down. Secondly, there is no reason that any body, for any reason, should not comply with demands of an officer. She repeatedly told the man to put his hands up and keep them up. He complied, then put his hands down, then complied again. This, even without the tell tale signs of PCP, would have given any officer great cause for concern. The man was told repeatedly to stop walking. He failed to comply.
Unless you or a family member has ever lived through a confrontation such as the one that was highlighted in this 60 minutes segment, the real life and death scenario of this scene may not really hit home. To say that the officer was racist because someone in the chopper said the man looked like "a bad dude," is ridiculous. These were two separate people with individual thought processes.
Police officers, especially today, are always under close scrutiny. They get called horrible names, are spit on,and are attacked at times, just for showing up to a call. A routine traffic stop could mean life and death.
I feel this was a very sad event, which could have been averted had the man complied.
We do have a poster who is a police officer. It would be interesting to her from this lady!
=====================================================
Great post and to the point.

Obey the police and you will not get killed in almost every case. When a person is shot by our police many blame the police even when they do not obey the police.

With the media and others making out our police as the bad guys who would want to choose a career as a police officer?
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hey kidboy2-- thanks kidboy! Your question at the end of your post really struck me. "Who would want to be a police officer?"

In my family the answer is

a daughter

a son-in-law 

and soon

My firstborn grandson!

I worry about them every single day. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

pc6063 wrote: I feel this was a very sad event, which could have been averted had the man complied.

Keep in mind, there was NO crime involved.  And the officer saw him prior to knowing it was his car that was in question.  She had judged by his stance then that he might be on something.  To me, that's a likely reason (confusion) for not responding exactly as she was ordering him to do.  Being hard of hearing or not knowing the person was speaking to you (language difficulty) or sick are other reasons.  I simply didn't see why she had to escalate the encounter.  The interviewer asked why she didn't shoot to wound and she said they're not trained to do so.  That's another "why not?" to me. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

SAWORLD--I undestand your point of view, but PCP makes people extremely aggressive.  She knew that and had been trained to recognize it.  No one wins in this case, that's for sure.  Really they are both victims of drug use in this country.

When this officer said she wasn't trained to shoot to wound, she wasn't kidding.  They are taught to go for the body's core. No police officer is trained to wound.  Also, a stun gun may not work on a person high on PCP.  When I  was working at our country jail I once saw an 18 year old kid high on PCP take on five officers who just exploded when he was being put into a holding cell.  They were not small men, and I have to tell you it was a struggle for them to take him down.

I later had this same kid in my classroom.  He was really a great kid.  I thought about him when I watched the part of the segment that showed the deceased man singing.

I can understand why she did what she did, albiet it will haunt her until the day she dies. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

pc - your insights add a lot. Most of has have no experience with such substances and their effects on people.

It is a tragedy (for all concerned) and I hate to see it become a political or "cause" issue.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Rk--OMG! We agree on something!

On a much more serious note, you are  right, it is a tragedy.  I've lost more than a dozen former students to drug abuse and addiction. When  I went to work at the jail , 10 of my former students were on my roster. it is so sad;  it is such a tragedy,  and it is one that all communities need to work on .we can't solve this problem through incarceration.

You're also right that they shouldn't become politicized both of these families are suffering.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png